HIGH resolution bedbug image!

(20 posts)
  1. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 18:34:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks,

I've been playing with a powerful macro lens and a focus stacking program.

Ever wondered what a bug looks like really really close up?

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5243/5372669667_cf72812b4e_b.jpg

Rich

[Admin note: link replaced with watermarked image.]

2. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 18:37:24
    #

Login to Send PM

...wow...

3. USDD

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 18:48:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Great photo!

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 15 2011 19:52:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

Thanks for confirming a comment I made to someone in NY today that the best images are coming out of your lab.

Please watermark them though, I hate to see great work go uncredited and there are far too many who will use your images to claim expertise with their clients when all they know how to do is right click and save the image to disk.

David

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 0:25:25
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 4 hours ago  » 
    Hi Richard,
    Thanks for confirming a comment I made to someone in NY today that the best images are coming out of your lab.
    Please watermark them though, I hate to see great work go uncredited and there are far too many who will use your images to claim expertise with their clients when all they know how to do is right click and save the image to disk.
    David

Yeah ..... But I'm the one who caught the bug for him to photo. =)

Great shot .... BTW

6. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 4:41:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi David,

You are right, I should watermark, but unless I stick it right through the image, people just trim them off. One of my pics is currently being used by a Swiss national newspaper. They have trimmed off my watermark and replaced it with someone elses. I emailed them a few months ago, but they ignored it. It's annoying but I figure that without defacing the image completely there's not much I can do. If it comes to it I have a higher resolution version, so I can prove it was mine originally.

Thanks everyone for the positive comments.

7. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 11:14:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Richard,

I know what you mean, I try and keep them close to the center of the image but not to the detriment of the detail.

My biggest annoyance was a TV show in the UK that used 6 of my images without crediting me on a prime time show and having some muppet of an expert who did not know one end of a bedbug from another.

Its sad but I have even seen people use others pictures in books without credit, often tot he long term detriment of the public and industry. Stealing images does not clothe the emperor in the finest garments.

David

8. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun Jan 16 2011 23:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard,

Indeed, great shot.

Note that the subject of your photo is well-fed, with very plump hindquarters.

If you're doing more such shots, how about a comparison of an individual before and after dining, if you have someone willing to feed him. The comparison would be quite striking because when they're really hungry their abdomens are remarkably thin.

jrbtnyc

9. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 4:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc,

Good idea, I'll get on it. Unfortunately it can't be the same individual (before and after) because I have to kill them to get them to stay still. I fed this one on myself and then dropped it into ethanol for a few seconds before taking the photo. I have a lot of bugs in culture, so I can pick two that look very similar.

Cheers,

R

10. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 10:01:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard,

Hopefully you have some you haven't fed in a month or two whose tummies will be the most dramatically paper thin.

Longer than 6-8 weeks of fasting and they'll probably be dead – is that what you've observed in the colony you've been maintaining.

In the last couple of years I've had 20+ bugs in jars at various times (including 4 since summer 2010), continuously at room temperature or higher during the summertime (lower temperatures enable them to live quite a bit longer evidently), which I have, um, declined to feed and none have survived beyond two months.

jrbtnyc

11. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 10:27:12
    #

Login to Send PM

jrbtnyc,

I think the pot I have at home (where I take my photos) was fed before Christmas. I have some pots in the insectary from the same culture that were last fed in August. There has been some mortality but not too much. They have been housed at 26oC and 70% RH for the entire time. Temperature is certainly important (I have kept them much longer at 13oC) but I think humidity is equally important as it slows down dessication.

I have some cultures that I am feeding regularly, to boost numbers for working on, and some cultures that I just want to keep alive. If I am trying to boost the population I feed them weekly. If I am just trying to keep them alive I feed them about every two months. I don't tend to get too much mortality in that time. I find that large nymphs last longer than adults, which I assume is because the adults tend to burn up their resources on reproduction.

I use a saturated NaCl solution to maintain the humidity. If you put a pot of it next to your culture pot in a sealed plastic container it will maintain the humidity at about 70%.

I'm off home to take that photo!

12. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 22:33:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I will be the first to ask permission ... can I use this picture for a presentation if full credit is given?

Sean

13. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Jan 17 2011 23:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard,

Are you using the Helicon Focus stacking software?

14. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 4:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Sean,

Yes, you are welcome to. I have a not-for-profit policy when it comes to use of my images. Presentations and educational material is fine. I have a small charge when they are used for publications, websites and for promoting products. Please could you put (C) Richard Naylor, University of Sheffield either on or near the image? Thank you.

Hi KQ,

I am using Zerene Stacker in PMax mode (which won't mean anything unless you have used Zerene Stacker!). I hear Helicon Focus is good but I was recommended ZS first and have been so impressed with it that I have found no reason to try anything else. It is free for a month or so, so you can give it a try and see if you like it.

15. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Jan 18 2011 6:29:21
    #

Login to Send PM

I've used Combine Z and it's free. Test it out and let us know what you think.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  16. thebedbugresource

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jan 20 2011 20:33:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I used your image in a presentation to PCOs today ... a chorus of oooohhhhs and ahhhhhhs ....

Stunning.

Full credit was given.

Sean

17. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jan 21 2011 5:37:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Sean,

I am glad it went down well.

I have now posted a few more on this thread:
    http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/more-high-resolution-bug-images

Cheers,

Rich

18. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 13:07:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Rich, do you want me to replace the link in the top post with the watermarked version?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  19. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 15:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Nobugs,

That would be great.

Rich

20. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Jan 22 2011 16:22:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Anytime, Rich!

(I don't know if there are others you've posted, but you can always send me the URL of the thread if there are.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,649 posts in 49,518 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982