Hi I used too much DE and now I'm scared I gave myself silicosis

(5 posts)
  1. Jenna5960

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 10 2015 18:03:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been battling bedbugs for months now and used everything but DE because I have asthma. Well in my terrible frustration and sleep induced craziness I put it everywhere and without a using a mask. No problem at first but now I'm having shortness of breath when climbing stairs and chest pain. Please guys if you use DE use a mask.

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Oct 10 2015 22:27:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Jenna5960 - 4 hours ago  » 
    I've been battling bedbugs for months now and used everything but DE because I have asthma. Well in my terrible frustration and sleep induced craziness I put it everywhere and without a using a mask. No problem at first but now I'm having shortness of breath when climbing stairs and chest pain. Please guys if you use DE use a mask.

Please see a doctor, because shortness of breath and chest pain can be symptoms of a number of serious health conditions, and it's important to make sure you're okay.

I am sorry you have been under such stress, and that you are able to get medical attention soon.

Note to others: please use extreme caution when applying any pesticide, and follow label instructions. It's best to get a professional to treat if possible.

If you must apply DE or another dust yourself, in our FAQ on diatomaceous earth we cite an expert who recommends you use not just a dust mask but a full respirator mask.

Also note that it's extremely important not to use diatomaceous earth which is not intended for treating pests (like pool grade DE, which poses serious risks to humans and is not appropriate for pest control use).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Oct 11 2015 8:10:24
    #

Login to Send PM

DE is a supplement, to be used sparingly and in strategic locations. I've seen way too many people over apply and think it's going to solve their bedbug problem.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  4. Distressed in NJ

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Oct 12 2015 18:57:21
    #

Login to Send PM

What about cimeXa?

5. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Oct 13 2015 3:20:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Distressed in NJ - 8 hours ago  » 
    What about cimeXa?

Make sure you follow the label instructions.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,306 posts in 50,168 topics over 155 months by 21,929 of 22,426 members. Latest: MaryPoppinsYall, nomorecreepycrawlies, buggerboo