Hi folks. New infestation in MI.

(7 posts)
  1. MI-Infest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 6:39:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi folks. New member, been reading alot here since the beginning of the week, Monday 5/23/11 when I discovered an adult BB crawling along my carpet/wall in my studio apartment as I prepared to leave for work. Left for work after I killed it, and came back 3 hours later.

Noticed bite marks on my legs, and I saved a few in a plastic bag and pulled back my sheets and WHOA! Infestation.....:( PCO stopped by after I called my apartment within 20 minutes . Showed him the bugs and my sheets. Bed bugs sadly confirmed.

Alerted my boss, family, friends, ad let them know what was going on and that I cannot stop by any longer, though taking every precaution I can at work, ziplocks with work items and sitting on plastic furniture which I wipe down 3-4 times a day, school I try just to find plastic furniture to sit on. I began the long arduous process of bagging and sealing bags of clothes, and resealing in new plastic bags and kept off the floor, inspecting personal possessions, and cleaning. Vacuuming and whatnot. I spray 90%+ Rubbing Alcohol everytime I step in and out of my apartment, and change clothes when I leave and enter my car. I have a pair of new shoes and socks sealed in plastic and only touch them after I have sprayed off my hands and feet, as I keep a separate sprayer in my car. All regularly used stuff has gone into plastic ziploc bags which have been sprayed inside and out and my keys are the only thing I don't put in there and are washed and sprayed/wiped off frequently.

I have been sleeping at home but not much. My bed was a large source of the infestation and I wrapped it in a plastic drop cloth and sealed itwith duct tape, and tossed it. I also disposed of my mattress foundation. The bugs have seem to minimized and I have not seen any adults, yet.

The only questions I have now are:

1) I use a pair of sandals to go in and out of my apartment and douse them with rubbing alcohol everytime I walk on the carpet and floors and enter uncontaminated areas and they go into a ziplock bag in my car. How soon/often do I need to replace the sandals?

2) I sleep in boxers and wear the sandals on my feet and slept in a chair last night in the room, only leaving the room to take a bath, and I fell asleep. I drained the bathtub and sprayed it out with rubbing alcohol. I went back to sleep, or at least tried to sleep in the chair and didn;t move much, wearing the sandals. Is this an okay sleeping arrangement as the chair is in the area that my bed used to be? Figured it would be since I'd rather keep the bugs limited as much as possible even though it probably won't. Can't afford a new bed just yet, and probably not for awhile.

3) What do I have to do to keep the bugs out of my car?

4) Plastic items and electronics and DVDs. I inspected them but didn't find any evidence of bugs there, so how should I store them?

5) Important papers that may be infested but I need to keep. Spray and ziploc?

6) And finally, landlord said they would pay for a 1st pest control treatment, and these guys are only going to dust the walls and corners along the carpet and not do the kitchen. Landlord is also blaming me for bringing the bugs in but I have NEVER had bedbugs before and I am furious. I called an attorney and he said I have a case. What sort of evidence do I need to bring to court? I have pictures of bites and my infested mattress, both trashed and non trashed.

And lastly, while I am feeling better about it now, as I can at least work without the constant thinking about these bugs, this is the most daunting and humiliating thing I have ever dealt with in my entire life. Sorry for the long winded post, I am just trying to cover all of the bases here. Things do seem t be improving in the last 3 days having not been bitten as much and having seen less bugs. Peace of mind and confidence are finally starting to return.

Thanks for listening and I look forward to reading your replies.

2. toledo

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 7:53:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry for your discovery. I just saw something on the news about the top bed bug states and was surprised to see that Michigan has moved up onto the list. One treatment is not usually enough to get rid of them, so you've got to get your landlord to do more. Do you have neighbors in attached apartments? I'd start by asking them about bed bugs. If you could contact the previous tenant, that could help your case, too. Proving the bugs were already there will "motivate" the landlord.

3. MI-Infest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 8:08:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Fortunately, the PCOs coming out on Saturday will guarantee their work and come out more than once if necessary, and I will be home when they arrive. I am fortunate that I have seen a minimal amount of younger bugs and no more adults since beginning my current regimen. I plan to keep it up till this is done.

Talking to the neighbors is something I have been afraid of doing but appears I must. I also have other friends who live in the same complex who need to be made aware of this issue. Wish I was getting paid for this full time job.

I have also been fortunate that I have not passed on the bugs to my family and others. I hope noone else gets these from me. I couldn't live with myself if that happened, ESPECIALLY due to LL negligence.

4. bbgirl

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 9:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

It sounds like a very uncomfortable sleeping arrangement and unfortunately you are supposed to sleep in your normal spot as much as possible to lure the bugs out. Some people on the forum have slept on inflatable mattresses until their infestation was over - I guess on the theory that they are easy to wipe down and can't be penetrated by the bugs. It would be difficult to isolate though. If you can get a Pactite unit (available through US bedbugs) you will find it invaluable to treat your sandals, any clothes that can't be laundered and belongings including papers, books, etc. It's like a small portable oven that gently heats things through to kill any bugs or eggs. Click on the US bed bugs icon on this site to check out their products....If you shower before leaving your home and change into clean clothes that have been bagged of course you will minimize the possibility of taking them to work or into your car.

5. MI-Infest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 9:29:52
    #

Login to Send PM

bbgirl - 15 minutes ago  » 
    It sounds like a very uncomfortable sleeping arrangement and unfortunately you are supposed to sleep in your normal spot as much as possible to lure the bugs out. Some people on the forum have slept on inflatable mattresses until their infestation was over - I guess on the theory that they are easy to wipe down and can't be penetrated by the bugs. It would be difficult to isolate though. If you can get a Pactite unit (available through US bedbugs) you will find it invaluable to treat your sandals, any clothes that can't be laundered and belongings including papers, books, etc. It's like a small portable oven that gently heats things through to kill any bugs or eggs. Click on the US bed bugs icon on this site to check out their products....If you shower before leaving your home and change into clean clothes that have been bagged of course you will minimize the possibility of taking them to work or into your car.

Will the chair suffice to sleep on though?

And I have seen the Pactite suggested but unfortunately I cannot afford such a thing at this time. Hopefully I can elminate these guys after a couple applications from the PCO, otherwise I will probably have to leave it all behind.

6. MI-Infest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu May 26 2011 9:34:56
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I could afford a pactite at this time, but I am all out of money getting prepped for the PCO on Saturday. I do have some Space Bags, I wonder if those would work.

It's good to hear some confirmation I'm doing everything alright. The chair where my bed is sufficient then?

7. MI-Infest

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 30 2011 7:35:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, the PCO came out Sat. and sprayed along the floorboards, unoccupied outlets, and cracks in the walls and said that the bugs would immediately begin crawling out and will be back in 2 weeks time. He said 2 wait about 7 days to vaccum and only in high traffic areas and not to steam clean for awhile.

I have only been bitten twice tops and have killed 5 baby bb and have not seen anymore otherwise, including dead ones and eggs. I inspect my apartment daily, and don't see any eggs along the floorboards and unaffected areas are still unaffected. I have also caulked up all the gaps, cracks, and holes along the floorboard and elsewhere I've seen.

Can't wait for the all-clear.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,316 posts in 49,236 topics over 152 months by 21,584 of 22,005 members. Latest: Robbysee, Elephant88, Nobugsplsto