Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Here we go again... New countdown or call PCO?

(7 posts)
  1. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Sun May 15 2011 0:44:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Funny. I just posted about being a little over 6 weeks BB free. This morning woke with some raw blood streaks on my top sheet and when checking found another two tiny streaks near a seam in the corner of the bottom sheet. Then found what appears to be BB feces: a black dropping, like dried tar, on a vertical crossbeam of head rest near a crevice.

The bed is pretty much all caulked and what is not has tri-die dust in cracks. When I took bedding apart, I didn't see any skins or bugs or what not.

So my question is this...do I just start my 55-60 day count down over, and just watch an wait? Or should I call my PCO back and have him do another spray? He didn't see any evidence at last visit so I'm not sure if he will even come back without something more concrete.

Thanks for input.

2. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 2:04:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Six weeks? I can't even manage one week! Last week I had my 7th spray treatment [1 BR apt] and the PCO checked my bed. Nothing to be seen on mattress or box spring. However he sprayed them, the frame, my closets and sofa for good measure. That was last week. I have tried to stay away from the sofa as my little granddaughter got bitten there a couple of days ago [yes, I still have to babysit my granddaughter on an emergency basis even though I have warned my daughter repeatedly not to risk letting her come here] and have stayed on my bed, watching movies on my laptop. No bugs in the bed now--or so I thought. Today I received a bad bite on my knee, checked the bed and found three tiny beige-brownish bugs. It occurred to me they perhaps had managed to hide on the hems of my capri pants. Were they nymphs? Damned if I know, but I hope I got rid of them all. I hung these pants on a towel bar in the bathroom last night. As I haven't seen a BB in there for ages, I thought it might be OK. I even hung some freshly washed clothes in the BR closet today. Now I don't think I should have. I know now that as long as I am living in this apartment the nightmare will continue. I am not having any more sprays; it's useless and they say my infestation was very light. So what--if it doesn't go away. Also, I saw that someone left a mattress near the elevator on our floor. Why? Is it also infested? Ours is a well-kept building and I'm sure it will be gone tomorrow.

3. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 15:28:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Six weeks? I can't even manage one week!

I know EXACTLY what you mean! I caught these nightmares back in July 2010. I had one brief 6 days of no bites in October, and finally no bites since end of March when I had my 2nd treatment with the"new" PCO guy, and installed a new bed with climbups. I used to cry when I read success stories because I never thought I would be one. I was jealous of everyone else who was getting "real" help. You will get through this!

I suggest keeping all your clothing in ziplocks until you are at least 60 days clear with no bites and no other evidence. Funny that you mentioned your hanging clothes. I wonder if by reusing my bath towel (from the morning shower) right before bed, if I am inadvertantly reconaminating myself and then bringing an egg or something with me. I have it on a hook in bathroom and have never seen bugs there, but who knows? I think I will be using a new towel from now on!

If you are seeing mattresses, etc in the facility where you live, I guarantee the other units around you have bugs and may be reinfesting you. Maybe you should talk to the neighbors and/or landlord?

For me...My PCO, who is very nice, told me today to hang on to the black dropping I bagged from the bed, and also the tiny piece of bug shell I found there. Since climbups are empty and I haven't been getting lots of bites and have seen no live bugs, he doesn't feel the need to freak and spray at this point. He knows I am obnoxious about inspecting, and since I haven't seen anything definitive, we'll just monitor unless something else comes up.

I did rewash bedding and dried for 90 minutes in laundromat. Then I resprayed the crevices of my bed with Tri-Die. I'm probably overdoing it but if anything is in there, I want it to DIE!!!
    I also ordered a Nightwatch monitor and a DNA test kit for my piece of mind.

Please stay on top of your situation. I know you are probably tired of chemicals, but think of how bad things could be if you just gave up. Maybe your pest control operator needs to change up the chemicals he/she is using?

Good luck and thanks for the reply

4. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 18:42:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I should go to the laundramat, too, as both the water and the dryers there are probably hotter than in my building. I am thinking that maybe what happened was I brought some BBs from the couch [where no one was ever bitten until recently--so what happened--did all the spraying make it worse???] to the bed. With the BBs came some mites, which just happened to settle down in my hair and I am fighting that, as well, with what seems to be better success. The PCO uses a combo of Phantom and Gentrol. He seemed incredulous when I told him there were STILL bites as their was nothing on the encased mattress or box spring--no signs of anything. I wish he had been there with me last evening when I picked the three little bugs off of my sheet and could have seen the angry red sore on my knee. These were not full size BBs, but they sure could bite and the room was still lit up. I am so sick of these chemicals. After the 7th spray my small BR smelled so bad despite having had a window open all afternoon that I slept on the couch for two nights and never went into the BR. Maybe that was my mistake. Whatever was left must have followed me to the sofa. The freshly- washed clothes I hung in the closet were the ones I don't often wear. The other ones I keep in a BB-proof zipped garment bag [large] and that is inside a plastic bin. There are no clothes in my dresser. All I want to do is to move out of here with just a few clothes and some bits of my history in sealed bins. I don't care now if I lose all my furniture or even all my books except for a handful of expensive reference ones. All I want now is to put all this behind me. If it had been possible to kill these bugs here, it should have happened by now. As long as there is a host--me--they are not going away. The mattress in the hall was gone when I went out today. As far as I knew, I was the only tenant on my floor to have BBs--but I believe you are right when you wrote that mattress was not there for the hell of it.

5. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 18:58:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, Scaredsilly--I forgot to ask you how many sprays you had prior to being BB-free for six weeks. Do you happen to know what chemicals were used? You seem to have a pretty good atttitude, which is surprising since, if I had no bites or signs for that long and knew they had returned, I would be tremendously upset--but not surprised. Maybe you are not that surprised, either.

6. scaredsilly

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon May 16 2011 23:04:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish I could tell you how many sprays I've had, but it's been way more than I can count. I had 3 months of horrible treatment by a big name company, then I did about 4 months of self treatment that was bi-weekly. I finally got someone in who was trained by Cooper Pest (BB Central) in NJ and he did 2 treatments, two weeks apart. He steamed, vacuumed, dusted all outlets and crevices with Drione and Tri-die dusts, and the first spray was with Demand and Gentrol. The return visit ten days later was with Phantom and Gentrol.

Just in self-treating I noticed that the Phantom worked but it really took a long time. The numbers died down very very gradually, and you can only use that once every 28 days on the same area. The Demand was good for every bug in the house except bedbugs as it seemed to really excite them in my case.

Thanks for the note on the positive attitude. I had a really bad one for a long time and was really close to falling off the deep end. However, this site has saved me more than once. I do know by reading that the bugs can harbor quietly for quite some time after treatment and come out when they no longer sense chemicals. So I am not surprised at all. I just hope that this is the last of them and that I'm not starting this whole mess over again.

I bet sleeping on the couch is what brought the bugs to you there. Has the PCO looked and treated deep inside the couch? Mine steamed, sprayed, and dusted deep inside. I think the important issue in all of this is not how many sprays one has had, but how many good/thorough treatments one has had and the knowledge of the professional doing the treatment. Hang in there, you will get over this. Just keep going through the bagging, vacuuming, etc and remember that you are protecting your family and grandaughter by maintaining a good fight!

7. Buggybumpers

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue May 17 2011 0:13:08
    #

Login to Send PM

My PCO never even moved the couch away from the wall and I am not strong enough to do it. It was sprayed twice in 6 months and one more hurried time on my insistence last week. That is, the flat part underneath the cushions. Unfortunately, I live alone, am not in good health, and am not even strong enough to take apart my double bed and give this a thorough check once a week or so. You writing about some chemical shaking up the bugs made me think about that couch, which has not given any trouble in the six months this nightmare has lasted--until now. Whatever bugs got in there lately seem quite desperate, bite in broad daylight and there seem to be quite a few tiny ones. I have never seen an adult BB in or on that couch--which is a dark brown pattern, which does not help. But, as they are obviously coming from between the cushions, they have to pass through the Phantom. That is, I think so. I do not know how long of a residual effect that stuff has. Because I am simply falling apart here, I decided to take a little trip starting this week for 8 days. I bought a new small suitcase and had a BB-proof encasing ready to put it in as soon as I brought it home from the store. I will put clean clothes, bagged, inside just before I leave and anything else I need in ziplock bags. Anything I can buy at the other end I will. Of course, I am more afraid of giving bugs to the hotel where I am staying than catching them. Needless to say, I cannot visit family members. When I return, that suitcase goes right back into the encasing [which is too big for it so won't leave it on when I travel] and all my clothes into a garbage bag for the wash. I go straight into the shower. Maybe, hopefully, by the time I return some of these bugs will have weakened and died. Or is that unrealistic? Anybody know anything specific about Phantom and how it's supposed to work? Thanks< Scared, for taking the time to talk to me. I really appreciate it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,899 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186