Here we go again

(17 posts)
  1. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 12:30:38
    #

Login to Send PM

So i finished my morning office hours and was taking a break watching my favorite Korean drama as a had a bite of lunch. Then as i'm sitting there i feel a little itching on my right forearm. I look down and see three very little quite round blister/mosquito bite looking things in a row... They do not look like any bb bites or even cb larvae hair reactions i have had before. They don't look like mite bites either. Doesn't look like flea bites.

so i don't know what's up. i do not see anything like bbs or carpet beetle larvae around. i just encased the sofa recently and the cover that i have on top of that was unused, clean and PTd....so what's the deal? i can't figure it out. i give up. Is my sofa/living room area simply off limits forever?...and did i spend like almost 300 clams for the sofa covers for nothing?

This is nuts.

2. Jenn28

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 14:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh man!!! That sucks, sorry to hear that Deedle. I can imagine how frustrating this must be for you! It's always a guessing game too!!! What's biting me now? Grrrrrrrrr!

3. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 15:46:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Will it never end?! Dang it all to h*ll. I hope you figure it out...and it's something really benign.

4. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 16:21:23
    #

Login to Send PM

So i started this thread 3 hours ago and now all three of the little blister things are almost completely flattened out (they were quite raised before) and they have stopped itching entirely. When i run a finger over them i can feel they are slightly raised. They look darker than the rest of the skin and are still almost perfectly round.

wierd...

maybe my skin is so sensitive that just sitting in that area of my crib makes me have a skin reaction.

5. Itchybutdealing

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 16:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

My sympathies. I am starting to feel that once you get them you really never get rid of them fully. Best of luck!

6. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 18:13:44
    #

Login to Send PM

i don't think they're bbs ...it may be just what LouBugs and other have said many times...that the skin can become very sensitive and may experience skin reactions that have nothing to do with anything except that after bbs...(and i think after chemical treatment) some people experience super sensitive skin...

if it's anything bug related, it probably is carpet beetle larvae hairs...although i can't imagine what they would be in in the livingroom since everything is encased, etc.

it's a great mystery..to be sure!

7. Bugfreak

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 21:40:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I know what you're feeling Deedle. 74 days since we found our lone cast skin and no further conclusive evidence but I am STILL checking the bed every night with a flashlight and every time my kids appear to itch something somewhere on their bodies, I feel like I am right back to the beginning.

What's worse is that my son has eczema and has had it his whole life but those little bumps have taken on new meaning. When I'm rational, I realize this is the way it always goes for him when the weather gets colder and the air gets dry, but good grief I can quickly send myself back over the edge.

I have to say though my bounce back time to semi-normal is getting faster than in the beginning (well, in the beginning there was no semi-normal). It is getting easier to believe we may have dodged the bullet this time around and just had that rogue nymph (I seriously wonder how many other people besides you and my sister have found evidence of just one. . ?). I have actually discovered unopened ziplocs and not flipped out, and my vacuum cleaner bag has not been disposed of yet after it was used today. A month ago I would have run out of the apt. down the street with it.

I guess this is to say that lingering paranoia seems to be part of the deal, but there is hope that eventually most of us can move forward.

Glad you're not itchy.

8. SearchandDestroy

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Nov 15 2010 22:32:03
    #

Login to Send PM

"A month ago I would have run out of the apt. down the street with it."
    LOL! That kind of describes it really well.

My husband thinks I have ptsd..and I keep saying, no it's ptbd!
    Let's hope we all recover from sensitive skin and buggy paranoia soon.

9. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 1:23:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry Deeds,
    Must be incredibly frustrating to continually have new skin irritations pop up.

Glad to hear it went down.

10. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 2:33:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Gang...

This morning the spots are itchy and wider...two of the spots have sort of blended together and the third is more distinct. They are the same color as yesterday...i washed them with the loofah and put a little alcohol on them...then the benadryl cream.

Whatever it is, it seems to be resolving much faster than prior skin reactions -- and it's true that i am not freaked out...just would love to solve the mystery.

thanks for your concern!

11. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 3:52:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Out of curiosity, is there something keeping bed bugs from climbing up ONTO the sofa to feed on you?

(I am not assuming this is a new bite, I am just curious based on what you said about the sofa encasement.)

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  12. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 7:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

hi nobugs...

i was wondering whether i was in denial....

i guess they could crawl up...i wonder where they would be harboring? I will take the coffee table apart again...it is wood...i'll take it out on the terrace and break it down and see if there's anything there. And now that i think of it and look at that coffee table again (it belonged to my grandmother and has a glass insert top and between that glass and a thin wood backing i have a collage that i made which you see from the top. But now i'm thinking that bbs might be harboring in there? Actually, that was not broken down when i was treated although the table itself was treated top, bottom and all the sides....

The top of the table is the exact size of the PT....so i won't be able to put that in - Darn it!!...but the legs can be taken off easily and tossed in the PT along with the screws, and screw tops.

But if there were bbs around the sofa, wouldn't they chomp on me when i'm sitting on any other chair in that room for long periods...or wouldn't they send out scouts to find me when i'm nearby...like in the office? I have pulled that table over to a big chair i have in the livingroom..have reclined in that chair and have not been bitten....

well there are 3 bites in a line after all

hmmmm

will get on top of that today.

thanks NoBugs and everyone

13. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 9:18:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Deeds,
    Recently David posted this "For the record 2 or 3 bites in a row is NOT a BB pattern or confirming sign."

Hopefully, your bites are not bb related.

Deedle, you're in Flushing so you can buy tiger balm quite easily. Get the light colored one, not the brown one so that it doesn't stain. Just dab a tiny bit (don't go to town with it), on your bites and your bites will go away faster. It's smelly and you can't put it on bites that are close to your eyes (cause it'll sting) but it works.

14. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 11:47:47
    #

Login to Send PM

DB: i don't think they're bbs ...it may be just what LouBugs and other have said many times..
    -------
    DB: i guess they could crawl up...i wonder where they would be harboring? I will take the coffee table apart again...it is wood...i'll take it out on the terrace and break it down and see if there's anything there. And now that i think of it and look at that coffee table again... The top of the table is the exact size of the PT....so i won't be able to put that in - Darn it!!...but the legs can be taken off easily and tossed in the PT along with the screws, and screw tops.
    ----------
    Sounds like an awful lot of time and energy being spent when no definitive signs of bed bugs have been found for a very long time. What about focusing more on ruling out bed bugs than worrying about them, and probably for no reason? For example a trip to a dermatologist for skin biopsy to ascertain at least if these are bug bites or not? Or how about a professional inspection from someone like KillerQueen to put the bed bug matter to rest? Or more passive monitors like ClimbUps or BBAlert Passive, if you're already not deploying them?

Anyway, wish you luck and we all have to do what we have to do, but I think it important for others new to this to understand that without definitive signs of bed bugs, it's sometimes best to focus elsewhere such as other insect problems or skin issues. I remember when I had bed bugs in my mind, just about everything I saw was associated with bed bugs, when in reality there were other causes.

Richard

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 13:53:07
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 6 hours ago  » 
    hi nobugs...
    i was wondering whether i was in denial....
    i guess they could crawl up...i wonder where they would be harboring? I will take the coffee table apart again...it is wood...i'll take it out on the terrace and break it down and see if there's anything there. And now that i think of it and look at that coffee table again (it belonged to my grandmother and has a glass insert top and between that glass and a thin wood backing i have a collage that i made which you see from the top. But now i'm thinking that bbs might be harboring in there? Actually, that was not broken down when i was treated although the table itself was treated top, bottom and all the sides....

Whoa!

My point was NOT that you probably have bed bugs. A "bite" is not definitive.

My point was that if this was bed bugs, you seemed to assume it meant they came out of your sofa (which is a big assumption). That's all. I don't think you're in denial.

16. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 14:11:37
    #

Login to Send PM

ohhh NoBugs...i wasn't thinking it was bbs either!! That's why i was surprised you mentioned them.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Nov 16 2010 14:25:38
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 12 minutes ago  » 
    ohhh NoBugs...i wasn't thinking it was bbs either!! That's why i was surprised you mentioned them.

Well, I wasn't clear enough, but I was reacting to your comments about the sofa. I was not saying bed bugs are biting you. I was saying that if they were, it would not necessarily mean they were coming out of your sofa.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,801 posts in 49,807 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991