Here we go again...

(3 posts)
  1. brooklyngirl

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 14:57:40
    #

Login to Send PM

In August of 2008 had a brief but anxiety filled encounter with BBs. My roommate had discovered a bug and called our LL ASAP. Each of us had about 5 bites within a span of a week. We had a PCO come and do one treatment. She was completely lax about the situation and with the advise of the website I took it as a gravely serious matter.

My next move was a drastic one but proved to be successful. I decided I was going to move back in with my dad but that I would have to take every precaution not to bring a single egg/bug with me. I left/threw out 85-90% of my possessions. Lucking I was sleeping on an air mattress anyway and had next to no furniture. Even after laundering my clothes and I brought with me approx 4 outfits. Baked my personal papers in the oven and left. I rebought an entire wardrobe. Rebought books. And it cost some money but I was SUCCESSFUL. From August 2008 until this Sunday I had not encountered a bite, bug, smear of blood, feces, and was actually thinking of posting a success story on the forum.

Sunday night my boyfriend and I decided to get a hotel for his birthday (he has lots of roomies, I lived with my dad, we wanted privacy) I was hesitant of course. But accepted and thought I know the drill, if I see any signs, I'm out of there like a speeding bullet and dousing myself in 91% alcohol.

I CHECKED EVERY INCH. NOTHING. I thought I was ok. Sunday morning I wake up at the hotel, I go home, go to sleep that night and Monday morning I wake up with the ever familiar itchy welting 2 bites in a row on my hand. I CANNOT BE GOING THOUGH THIS AGAIN. My questions are this:

1. If it happened at the hotel, wouldn't I have seen the bites when I woke up Sunday morning?
    2. If the question is yes, then that means I was bitten in my own beg which has been BB free for 8 months??? Could I have carried a bug that didn't decide to bite me until the next day??

I am freaking out. What's worse is I live with my dad in an apt building that is owned by my cousin, who just had a baby. The costs for a PCO will fall on me. I am freaking out. Someone hold me

2. losingit

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 15:27:03
    #

Login to Send PM

It's known that some people don't react to the bites for up to 2 or even 3 weeks after they happen. So a couple of days is well within that range. I got bites showing up 3 weeks after I actually had received them. That's a fact in my case, but usually most people say up to about 9-14 days.

So don't panic just yet, keep your eyes open. It sounds like you took a lot of precautions, be vigilant but not paranoid.

3. bitten123

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Mar 24 2009 16:07:15
    #

Login to Send PM

brooklyngirl, I am very sorry you have bites. It is most likely that you got bitten while at the hotel, but you could have been bitten at a restaurant, on the subway, or any number of places. Seeing that you are in Brooklyn, which is practically the epicenter of bed bugs, I would say you stand a good chance of contacting them somewhere besides home. remember, your aptartment may be just fine...however, if you do have them, then this is a small infestation at this point. It would be wise to find out if you do or do not have them early on...time is never on your side with bed bugs. I would recommend contacting Killer Queen (you can pm him on this board) and see what bed bug dog teams he recommends. If you can afford the dog to come through, that would be the best thing at this point, not 100% accurate, but they are extremely good at detection, even small ones, if it is a good team. Find a good dog and have your apt checked. Hang in there!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,898 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019