(3 posts)
  1. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 1:45:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi y'all -

Been lurking these forums over the past couple of weeks and obsessively reading FAQs, etc. so thanks for all the help.

Two weeks back, I woke up with about five really itchy welts. I've always been a big bug bite reactor (mosquitos, fleas, spiders, etc). The next day I woke up with a few more bites... I kept hoping it would subside, but here I am two weeks later. I have been keeping a very detailed log, and have received at least 2-5 bites each day (that I'm aware of due to itching). A lot of these have been on my feet and legs, but also my back. Sometimes clustered, sometimes in a line, sometimes solo. But as we know, "bites" could be from anything.

My first thought was fleas - I have two cats. But, as a lifelong dog and cat owner, I am very used to fleas, and quickly eliminated that as an option. However, I treated my cats anyway, just to be safe. Right now I am in the stage of looking for BB (still haven't found any evidence) and praying that it's rat mites or carpet beetle dermatitis instead. I've kind of been in denial, but after two weeks it's hard to keep that up. It just seems strange to me that it was (seemingly) so sudden and has been so consistent. My roommate hasn't had any issues thus far - she usually does react to bug bites. One difference is that my room has an A/C wall unit that I've been running and she doesn't. I've considered the possibility that the A/C could be blowing something into the apartment that I'm particularly sensitive to. It kind of makes sense with where my bites have been (e.g. The A/C blows near my feet) - but the human mind will make patterns where it wants to see one. totally wishful thinking, because right now anything sounds better than BB.

Currently, I have pulled my bed from the wall and installed climb ups. Also changed to light colored plain sheets to sleep on. I have the day off work on Friday - normally I would do something fun, but my plan this week will be to tear apart my room (and maybe living room if necessary). I have an old apartment with wood floors (with plenty of good hiding spots) so I'll try to fill cracks in the floor boards and base boards as I go. I also ordered the buglock encasements, and was going to put those on as soon as they arrived. After reading the FAQs, I might wait a bit before putting them on in case I have to get a PCO... And will wait for their recommendation on when to use the encasements.

Anyway, it's been a very frustrating, anxiety-inducing two weeks. Trying to stay positive and calm! Will keep you all updated, as I appreciate the outlet.

2. Calamity_Jane

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Aug 18 2016 6:57:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Just want to say welcome and wish you luck. I'm new myself and am terribly frustrated by being bitten, but I have confirmed that we have bed bugs and I hope to buy some packtite passive monitors when we're done with this mess. I wish I had lurked longer when I suspected BBs because I've spent a few weeks fighting and I believe I could have been more successful had I read a bit more. Happy searching.

3. Itchyinthecity

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Aug 20 2016 2:09:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Found at least six new bites today. About two weeks out from the original round of bites, so it seems like some may have hatched. Gross.

Cleaned my room thoroughly and found my first real evidence. Feces and one dead bug (I think). Waiting on id here: LINK

I also glued up some cracks in my floor boards, and sprinkled DE in gaps under baseboards and then closed those up with wood putty.

Sigh - landlord is saying I brought the bug in on my luggage (or something) so it's my problem. Trying to set up PCO inspections. CA doesn't have clear laws on bed bugs, but I'm worried any treatment I have done will be ineffective in a multi unit building. I also contacted the local Housing Rights Organization to check on if my landlord has any obligations. They probably won't respond until at least Monday, so will try to proceed with getting some quotes or inspections tomorrow (Saturday). This is such a living nightmare.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,743 posts in 49,539 topics over 153 months by 21,702 of 22,146 members. Latest: HelpMe342, tristramshandy123, germanhippie