Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tales of Bed Bug Woe

HELP!!Moving, funds going towards home, unique situation (long)

(6 posts)
  1. shadowlynx666

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 3 2012 15:28:51
    #

Login to Send PM

My husband and I got married September of last year. I had a few of my close friends come in from out of state and they stayed with us. It was such an amazing time getting married, seeing my best friends, and having a mini vacation. Within a few weeks after the wedding a friend of his started getting welt like bites on him, then eventually we did too. I guess he is just much more reactive to them. We assumed it was mosquitoes or fleas etc for a while until i caught one crawling on a pillow one day and we discovered our problem. They were jsut on the couch for a while, but eventually did spread to the bed, We had heard of bedbugs, knew they existed, but had no idea of how bad they can be and how they are spreading until I started looking things up online. I have felt so shameful and wanted to hide it that I only just brought it up to one of the friends who was here and she said she thinks they may have come from her or her boyfriend as one of his exs had them.

We have been doing our best to keep their numbers low and through the winter it was easy to wear pj pants and socks and long sleeves to sleep, but now it is getting hot. Also we don't have many people over because living as we do there just isnt much room for others. Our situation is unique in that we don't live in an apartment, but not in a full size house either. We live in a studio apartment thats maybe 500 sq. feet on the same property as a full size house, but stands on its own. We had planned on buying a house eventually after we got rid of credit card bills, but because of TERRIBLE drama from the current situation basically ruining our lives we have had to make the decision to go ahead and go for a house now. It is literally going to take every penny we have to go from here to there and we do not want to take these things with us. If for some reason things fall through and we don't get the house we are going to solve this and use the down payment money to pay for a professional, but we are truly hoping we do get it. I do my best to vacuum pretty regularly and we have had three or four really big cleaning days, but i know it is going to take more then that to move and not take them too. I think I have done a pretty good job of killing off the already adults, but the babies are sooo small and as much as i look I can never really seem to find the eggs.

First off I know that it has been advised against many times over to self heat treat, but it seems to usually be based on not being able to heat a whole house to the proper temperature fast and hot enough and if it is a smaller place, spreading them through walls etc to other apartments, but neither of those things are true for us. If I have the heat of our window unit on too high in the winter even and then am cooking in the oven it can get to over 90 degrees in here without even trying. With such a small space I would think it wouldnt take much more to reach the needed temperature all the way through without having to use anything dangerous. We know to unplug electronics etc and anything we are concerned about with the heat would either be cleaned by hand and/or put in bags with nuvan strips.

It literally scares me to death to think of bringing them with us to the point we would probably still clean and get rid of some things upon moving like knowing we will have to take our mattress and box spring outside pull off the old encasement toss those and put on new ones because we got the cheap ones at walmart and they keep tearing, I also plan to get interceptors and/or make our own for the new house lay down DE and have thought about wrapping the couch in plastic and sealing in some nuvan strips since that is where the problem started, just to be sure and knowing we will have to do sooooo much laundry which is anoth expense because we dont have our own washer or dryer. Which beings up another question: does it really help to wash and dry or is just the dryer enough??? but with everything going on we cant afford to do the cautionary stuff and pay for professional treatment too and there is the added worry or doing things that our safe because of our dogs so we dont want to deal with alot of exposed chemicals.

PLEASE HELP!~! I have done alot of research am not just spouting off, but I am at my wits end with stress coming from every direction. My husband works 11 hour days so I am home alone most of the time

2. shadowlynx666

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 3 2012 16:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I read over this and feel I just dont convey the stress....and I didnt finish where I was going with the end comment. I get home and will take a shower and hide out in the bathroom afiraid to come out for fear of contamination again. I cook and do dishes not really because I want to but things to keep me busy so I don't sit down. It is to the point i can barely sleep because i keep waking up to inspect for them and once I find one I can't stop until I have found all I can possibly find. I know nobody asks for this, nobody has money sitting aside jsut in case they get bed bugs... I wish i could win the lottery just to get rid of the problem....so many incurred costs professional or not I wish there was some sort of help:trash bags, nuvan strips, tape, DE, masks and gloves for putting down DE, brush or bottle for DE, steamer, interceptors or supplies to make our own, new encasement and/or new mattresses, some sort of self made encasement for our couch(weird shape normal ones wont fit) physical loss of things we HAVE to toss and cant afford to replace, money for laundromat, probably going to have to rent a storage unit to store the clean things until we move into new house, extra flashlights and batteries and magniyfying glasses to look for them, spray bottles, alcohol,.....

all this after paying for our own wedding, trying to pay off debt in our mid twenties, DHS hounding my hubby for money even his ex ays he doesnt owe, and trying to buy our first home....:(

3. paranoid BB freak

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 3 2012 17:00:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Just a question....if you are renting, will the owners of the property pay or assist with costs for a PCO?

My personal feeling is that instead of spending the money on attempting to (ineffectively) treat the problem yourself, it would be more productive to put it toward a professional. Otherwise you take a huge risk in moving the bugs with you to the new place and may end up spending the money for one in the end anyways. JMHO

4. edtt

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 3 2012 17:04:41
    #

Login to Send PM

also, do you have confirmation that they are bedbugs?
    there are many knowledgable people here that could id it for you if you posted pics?
    just a thought, as i have read about so many people thinking they have bb's when if fact it was something else, myself included, hopefully
    Good luck

5. shadowlynx666

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 3 2012 21:11:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish that we were lucky enough that it was something else, but we know for sure that it is bed bugs. We actually had a guy come in around the time we first discovered them from Terminix that gave us a not to bad quote, but said they were just going to steam which I have no faith in JUST steam.

And paranoid I agree with you that it could happen that we have to hire a professional anyway if we arent successful, bot from what I have read on here and other places most people recommend the things I listed professional treatment or not to make sure they get rid of them and that they dont come back. I would love to just be able to hand over the money, have the place heat treated, and be bug free period, but with a down payment, paying for inspection and appraissal, trying to control the problem as is, and paying our current bills.........I wish somebody would help us out since our place IS so small. And as for the owner of the property they havent done anything for any issues on this property which is another reason for our moving...whether it has been our apartment or the full size house we have had to take care of anything ourselves.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Fri May 4 2012 2:34:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you looked into whether local laws require the landlord to treat? If you private message me your location, I can try to help you find out. I agree with the person who said professional treatment is likely to be more effective.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991