Helping an elderly family member escape her bb infested home

(5 posts)
  1. Destroy all bedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 16:12:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! I am new to the site and would appreciate any advice and suggestions.

Our 95 year old mother in law lives by herself in a badly infested row house she owns in the city. I think we finally have persuaded her to leave her home and live with us. She is resistant since thankfully she hasn't had any reaction to the bites and denies she's been bitten. She would prefer to try to treat it herself and not have to leave her home. But we know the infestation is a serious problem.

Our problem now is how do we help her get out of there without bringing bugs with her? We were instructed by the technician at the PCO that we should wear shoe covers and disposable gloves, have her shower thoroughly in her home, give her new clothes to put on, and leave the house immediately. I know getting her to move quickly at 95 will be difficult.

We have already asked her to bag up a couple changes of clothing, summer and winter, coat, etc., photographs, jewelry, medical and financial papers and anything else that is precious to her. None of us wants to ever go in the house again. We will spray the outside of the plastic bags with alcohol as soon as we get them out of her house.

It isn't possible to have all six homes in her row treated, the area has gotten pretty bad in the last decade and various landlords aren't known.

We purchased a suitcase style, heated bedbug zapper which we will put everything non washable in when we arrive at our house and will either dispose of or put washables thru the washer and dryer.

I have spent hours on this website and am so impressed with the answers and advice given and the compassion shown by all. I never knew these horrible bugs could strike so close to home! My husband is very allergic to bug bites and was badly bitten last time he visited this relative a few weeks ago.

Any and all suggestions will be very appreciated. We are hoping to liberate her from her bugs next weekend. Thanks

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 2 2015 21:18:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The most effective solution I can think of comes in the form of an insect inferno trailer. Load the items up at the homes she is leaving and either process on site before loading into a second moving vehicle or use the trailer as the moving vehicle. I wrote about this application several years ago when I was invited to survey and test the unit under extreme conditions (Miniapolis in the winter and it still passed with flying colours).

The FAQ will detail more moving options varying from how to methodically process all the items (lower cost higher personal labor) through to vehicle fumigation (higher cost but faster solution). There are options it depends on your time and resource availability.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  3. Destroy all bedbugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 7:41:20
    #

Login to Send PM

David, thanks for your reply. She isn't bringing out much - just a few black plastic garbage bags. I'm hoping we can process it all with the Zapbug in our garage and the laundry room when we get here.

Hope this works, we have to get her out of there.

4. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 7:59:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

At that scale the FAQs cover all you need to know an in insect inferno would be an overkill. Not a fan of that brand of luggage decon device as the one I had failed testing but you are on the right track.

David

5. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Jun 3 2015 19:59:30
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert, but I know my Packtite Closet (a different heater) works best at certain temperatures. So, to have it on a cold garage floor or laundry room floor MIGHT make it less effective. Especially if the room temperature is say 65 degrees vs. 70 agrees. Again, I'm not an expert.

Can you read your instructions and see if it recommends operating the unit on carpet or at a certain temp? Again, I'm not an expert and don't want to alarm you.

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19