Help with ID and how to proceed

(4 posts)
  1. Ar4492

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Jul 5 2019 23:42:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Can anyone help me ID and confirm this is a bed bug? I’ve caught and sealed it ina plastic container.
    https://imgur.com/gallery/EHzILl6

Also a few questions if it is

I’ve been renting here for what is about to be 1 year and renewing lease in August with a new Roomate signed on. Can my landlord use this as a reason not to renew the lease?

Is a landlord obligated to pay for treatment?

If the buildings across the Alley had a bedbug infestation, is it possible for them to make their way to a building across the alley? The buildings across the alley from us are public housing and I’ve been seeing a ton of furniture tossed with the trash even when it looks nice or new none stop recently. We have not taken any of it knowing it is a sign of bed bugs. Can they have somehow made it to our building anyways?

Other relevant info is we recently had a new tenant move into the apartments below us this week. We have been out of town for about a week and just got back and found this tonight. And a few weeks ago we brought some furniture with us that we had been keeping with my boyfriends dad whose apartment was treated for bedbugs a year ago and has since not had any issues or sightings.

I’m just super scared about having my lease cut or not renewed, and I’m not sure we can afford treatment and I have a bunch of hand made wooden furniture my grandfather made and don’t want to have to throw out.

2. Ar4492

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jul 6 2019 0:16:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Pulled apart the couch and found signs of more including sheds and fecal matter. So confirmed that it’s them just need help on how to proceed.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jul 6 2019 0:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Yes it’s a bedbug.

It’s not recently fed so it may be an indication it has just been brought in.

The FAQ covers how to work out if the LL is responsible for paying for treatment in your situation.

No they will not have come across the alley. The reality is bedbugs are no respecter of social status and they infest everyone. The tendency for people to blame others only delays the resolution of issues because people blame others rather than taking personal responsibility.

It may be just the one at this stage and that by reading up and understanding the subject you can make small modifications to your life and routine and effectively manage the problem through simple steps like the TbyPMR protocol.

It’s certainly not required to panic and throw things out. It does not help to resolve the problem and can make it worse.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. Ar4492

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Jul 6 2019 1:15:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for your swift reply, and I apologize for perpetuating the idea that it was an issue based on social status. I only meant to ask if there was an easy way they could come from there to here. We pulled apart the couch and found a number of them in between the sections as well as fecal matter. We immediately vacuumed and sanitized the areas and began inspecting everything in the room for more signs. So far we only found them in between the couch sections, approximately 4-5 adults and a few that may have been juvenile or eggs. The couch itself does not come apart nor do the cushions come up but I vacuumed in between the cushions, we caught what we could and set them on fire.

I’m hoping if they only appear to be in the one couch, that had no signs when we got it in may, and in no other furniture we have even close to the area or near our bed that we somehow hitched them just into the couch so far. We got the couch from my brother and his gf and they have never had any bedbug issues I am aware of. After vacuuming I threw out the filter dumped the vacuumed and tossed the trash it was in in addition to heavily bleaching every ounce of the vacuumed that would disassemble.

I’ll still proceed with treatment and continue with washing everything in hot water and high temp dry as well as more routine vacuuming and de cluttering. I’m hoping we caught it early and can stop it from getting worse.

Hopefully my landlord is kind about this I feel obligated to inform him, I just pray this won’t effect our chances to renew the lease.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,663 posts in 50,011 topics over 155 months by 21,869 of 22,351 members. Latest: pleasestop, paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me