Help with Bed Bug Identification [a: bed bug or closely related]

(3 posts)
  1. bdmcgraw

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Apr 19 2015 10:44:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Hoping someone can tell me if they believe this is a bed bug or not. Took the best photo I could, but it's very small. Found it on the bathroom floor (alive) after lying on carpet in an apartment I just moved into. The other shell thing was found later when inspecting where the carpet touched the wall.

Image is at

http://imgur.com/yJaIWfx

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Apr 19 2015 11:21:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, I'm sorry, it does appear to be a cimex . . . a bed bug or close relative . . . and one that hasn't fed recently and was probably looking for a meal.

Start with the FAQs here to gain knowledge; save the specimen to show LL; contact LL; let us know what questions you have.

3. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Apr 19 2015 11:28:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry but our friend Abs is correct. That's a Cimicidae, which is the taxonimic Family name of bed bugs.

I suspect it is Cimex lectularius L which is the Common Bed Bug. But would need a better photo to tell if it was actually a bat bug which is a closely related and appearing pest found in locations where bird and bat nesting occur.

You need to retain clear photos and your specimen plus inform the building management such that suitable actions may be taken to eliminate the problem from your apartment before it grows.

Good luck ! pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123