HELP!!!! Someone pleaes identify this !

(6 posts)
  1. CameronStewart

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 17 2011 12:47:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for reading. Girlfriend came round and had bites all over her body so decided to look at her wooden bed. Found these horrid dead maggot skin things plus the bug at the end, is that a bed bug??? Generally just saw that wandering over the floor in the living room about two minutes ago. Thanks

http://www.flickr.com/photos/67604220@N05/?saved=1

2. OhNoes

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 17 2011 12:50:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Does not look BB related to me. Consider yourself part of the lucky

3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 17 2011 12:55:44
    #

Login to Send PM

I commented on flickr. It's not the shiny spider beetle, but another species.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 17 2011 12:57:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the larval shed skins are from a dermestid beetle probably belonging to the genus Dermestes.

5. CameronStewart

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 17 2011 13:08:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks very much for the comments! Could those beetles cause red spots, marks on the skin during the night?

6. jrbtnyc

Posted 8 years ago
    Sat Sep 17 2011 19:02:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Dermestid beetle is the entomological term for carpet beetle I believe. The adult beetles themselves don't bother you as I understand it, but their immature stage, the larva, might be oval-shaped and has a lot of hairs that I gather can maybe stick you directly, but also might fall off and stick you as they're laying around and you're laying around. If you have a certain kind of sensitive skin the hairs can cause a reaction which, naturally, you might worry is from a bed bug bite.

As usual, to get a lot of images of carpet beetle larvae, type that into Google and then click « Images » at the top to get:

http://www.google.com/search?q=%22carpet%20beetle%20larvae%22&hl=en&num=100&lr=&ft=i&cr=&safe=images&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=isch&source=og&sa=N&tab=wi&biw=850&bih=890 .

See threads tagged « carpet beetle » here on bedbugger.com:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/tags/carpet-beetle .

(For even far more references you could search for « carpet beetle » on Google limiting your search to bedbugger.com, but that seems unnecessary since there are almost 30 threads with the tag.)

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,196 posts in 50,137 topics over 155 months by 21,918 of 22,413 members. Latest: Peachyy92, Bigworm, Cain69