Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

HELP - Reinfested

(14 posts)
  1. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 0:45:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Ok if you all remember, I moved from a heavily infested building into a condo building only four years old. I got a settlement from my previous landlord and am now renting from a private owner. I threw out all of my furniture, and packed everything else in plastic/ziploc bags, I did all the right prep. As soon as I moved in, I carefully removed clothes one by one from bags, and into the washer/dryer they went. Some for two hours on hot.

I've lived here almost one month. And I've checked the bed every day (which was delivered on day one and instantly covered in a protector with a mattress pad on top). The boxspring has been covered in a cheap vinyl zipper wrapper, which has a few holes in it - but it's just the box spring.

I've checked every few days, the entire bed and have found nothing in the mattress. Tonight - I found a live bug in the master bedroom closet. ARGHHH. All new stuff - couch, bed, tables, desk.

Here's the question - what to do? There's no smells, no signs of feces, nothing smeared on the mattress, nothing on the walls, or near the walls...just little black specks from the metal frame. That's it. And I checked by mushing it, they did not smear like feces or other matter.

Help? Do I wait and see if I find any more live ones? Could it have been one straggler that came along for the ride? Suggestions?

2. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 2:22:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Well that's a real shame. At least it should be easier to nip the problem in the bud, now that you've identified it so early.

In the interest of data collection for others who determine the need to move in order to resolve the situation, I have to ask: Did you bring anything with you that could not be put in the washer & dryer (as it seems you were more than thorough enough in that regard)? And are you sure there was no way for bugs to escape the bags you used, i.e., double bagged in case of trash bags, tightly sealed, etc. If you did not wash and dry all the fabric items before moving, they may have been able to escape the bags.

Good luck with your ongoing saga!

3. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 2:42:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Of course, you should rule out any possible sources of reinfestation - car, work, etc. Another possibility would be that you inadvertently spread them to someone else's home before you knew you had bedbugs.

4. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 23:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

It's possible to actually move into an infested apartment. I don't recall what city you live in but I imagine it happens.

Is it possible you had an infested car? Friend? Workplace?

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  5. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Thu Jun 26 2008 23:23:40
    #

Login to Send PM

"The boxspring has been covered in a cheap vinyl zipper wrapper, which has a few holes in it - but it's just the box spring."
    That will lead to a problem. Cover it just as you would a mattress. Don't buy anything cheap ... Good Luck

6. nightshirt

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 13:50:57
    #

Login to Send PM

so sorry. you must treat as if you have a regular size infestation. call the pco, etc. bad, caulk, etc. what a drag. act promptly. one scraggler could mean more. moving is so tricky. good luck

7. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Jun 27 2008 21:30:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm in Edmonton, and according to my landlord, she said there haven't been any problems in this suite. I haven't found evidence of an infestation. No signs on the mattresses, sheets or even the box spring. The only thing I found and caught on a piece of tape, was one lonely little bug that looked like it was about ready to die - he could barely crawl on the carpet.

But yes, as I've learned - there is never JUST one. My old landlord is paying for the next round of treatment. I have an exterminator coming in tomorrow - this time, I will be present when he sprays so I can get all the needed information and documentation from him.

It is possible that one came along for the move. There are still some belongings like books and old clothes that I have bagged and planned to keep bag until I could get them treated - but now I think I will take them out and have the PCO treat tomorrow if he can.

I have three appointments made every two weeks. The top mattress, is fine as there is a really good protector on it - but I will have PCO check, I have not seen anything on either the mattress or boxspring. I haven't received any new bites, just that itchy feeling. No welts like other people. I think it's early enough in the game to beat this and am keeping hopeful. It may have been brought in from my boyfriend - now ex boyfriend who refused to take precautions when coming for weekend visits. The bugs were part of the reason the relationship ended...sad to say. I sent him an offline message to check for bugs in his home - and the reply back through a mutual friend was : I'm so $$##$ sick of hearing about bugs... oh well. I tried. I've been here for a month, you figure by now, if it's an infestation - I'd have seen more signs? And if he ever comes over again, I get reinfested, he's paying for the next rounds...nice, after a year long relationship (yeah, I know, I'm bitter and venting).

Anyway, I'll keep you posted.

8. BakedBedBugs

Posted 11 years ago
    Sat Jun 28 2008 0:09:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Gypsy, there is a bed bug dog in Edmonton. It might be worth it.

I know of someone who does Thermal treatment there as well if you want to look at it.

it sounds early enough that you should be able to get a handle on the problem.

Best of luck!

9. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 18:18:47
    #

Login to Send PM

So it's been over a week. The PCO came in on Saturday and sprayed. I got into an arguement with him. He didn't want to spray the couch or bed since it was new. I think I will either ask for a new PCO from this company or demand he spray it next week.

No signs of bugs. Still bites, not sure if old ones resurfacing or getting them from somewhere else. No feces, no marks on the bed. No shells, no poop...nothing. No markings even on the baseboards or walls. Protector still in tact on top mattress.

I'm wondering perhaps it could have been just the one. After the next two rounds of treatments are done, they are doing an inspection. Was not impressed by this PCO or this company in general.

Baked yeah, I know about the dog, I was the one who made the post...just can't afford it right now. My old landlord is paying for this treatment.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 2 2008 21:48:40
    #

Login to Send PM

"She said there haven't been any problems in this suite."

In this suite? Does that mean someone in the building has had bed bugs? If so, your suite may have them too.

Honestly, since a huge percentage of folks don't seem to react to bed bug bites at all, I don't think the landlord can be confident no one had them there before. (And I don't need to point out, some landlords will lie about this anyway.)

But KillerQueen is right--the box spring is a serious problem. Many people get rid of these entirely and don't replace them, since they can make such nice hiding spots for bed bugs. You need high quality encasements on mattress and box, with no rips. Don't skimp on encasements.

11. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 19:28:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: well, I've lived in this condo since May 31, 2008. To date, I have found one live bed bug. No signs of droppings or shells. I've checked the bed regularly, as well as surrounding areas.

To answer some questions: This building is only four years old. Only three tenants have occupied this suite and it's had the same owner since day one. The owner advised that the first tenant, lived here three months before having to move to Australia for work. A couple then moved in here, who also had a fat black cat, which I am allergic to and lived here until two weeks before I moved in. None of the tenants ever reported bug problems - I'm going to believe the landlord on this one, because the condo has been kept up in really good shape and is really clean.

I've had one treatment already, and received a few bite marks the day after the treatment but nothing since. I have another treatment scheduled this Saturday, a third two weeks after, and a follow up inspection.

So I really don't know know what else to do here. Still too early to tell whether it is an infestation or not - but I am hoping, that if it is, it's been light enough to treat. The first treatment occurred only three days aftering finding the live bug. I have a good protector on the top mattress, a protector is on my list of things to buy for the boxspring...but I've already spent all the $3700 I received in my settlement claim (not nearly enough imo).

So... here's hoping.

12. Gypsy

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 19:29:28
    #

Login to Send PM

And might I add - I have learned who my friends are during this time. There's been other stuff going on at the same time, I won't go into the sad sob story details, but...my relationship did end due to the stress of the bugs. And the way I "handle stress". It's nice to know you have some friends that will support you no matter what, and others, well, their true colours shine through during times like these. I'm left to speculate the bugs may have come back because my boyfriend refused to take precautions during the move or on weekend visits to my place...no matter how much I warned him.

13. moonchill

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Tue Jul 8 2008 21:55:22
    #

Login to Send PM

aw Gypsy I totally feel ya on this. I have a friend who is the same way and it makes my stomach in knots. Can't stand to be around me basically, and thinks its not a big deal. If ever gets them, I'm in deep **** These situations are stressful!!!

14. fightorflight

Posted 11 years ago
    Wed Jul 9 2008 2:19:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Sounds like you've been really proactive about treatments in the new place and I hope you've finally licked 'em.

About your "friends," wooh,.... yeah. Sometimes I felt like I'd been abducted by alien aircraft and returned to earth, with the problems I had communicating about this. I'm still somewhat close with a friend who goes out of her way to blame the victim at every turn, but it's touch and go.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,431 posts in 48,820 topics over 151 months by 21,437 of 21,839 members. Latest: bedbugtoronto, stinson, WendyW