Help! Possible bed bug? [a: non-parasitic mite]

(5 posts)
  1. Nesaru

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 16:35:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting incredibly itchy bites/hives on my forearms and ankles the past week or so. My fiance seems bite-free, but apparently that doesn't mean much. Pest control came out and didn't find any signs of bed bugs, but they did a half-hearted spray job in the bedroom and on the sofa. I came home from work today and found this bug scurrying around on my bed. The second photo is it on the end of a qtip. Any idea what it is?

2. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 17:10:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Nesaru - »
    I came home from work today and found this bug scurrying around on my bed. The second photo is it on the end of a qtip. Any idea what it is?

I know what it's not . . . it's 100% NOT a bed bug! And I do have my theory on what it is, but the pictures aren’t the greatest. I’ll leave it to Lou or one of the other experts to positively ID it for you, but, again, it is NOT a bed bug.

Nesaru - »
    Pest control came out and didn't find any signs of bed bugs, but they did a half-hearted spray job in the bedroom and on the sofa.

It has been stated and recommended many times on the forum by both the experts and pest professionals that one should never spray/treat for pest unless they know what the pest is that they’re treating for.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 17:12:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug. If you think you still might have bed bugs see FAQ's for inspection and monitoring tips.

Did they say they were specifically spraying for bed bugs? With no evidence they shouldn't be. Do you know what they used?

Richard

EDIT: I see that you already got an answer. So I guess that makes it 200% not a bed bug.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 17:14:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug, but a mite, but not sure which species. Clover mite is a guess, not a spider mite, not one of the bird or rodent parasitic mites.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. Nesaru

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Tue Jun 23 2015 17:24:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I *think* they used Cyanora, but I'm not positive - the packaging looks the same though. The pest control tech asked me if I thought he needed to spray (to which I said "uh - sure?").

Thanks for the help!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,179 posts in 50,132 topics over 155 months by 21,917 of 22,411 members. Latest: ij430jf, patbb, Peachyy92