Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

HELP please! Just found bed bugs and larvae!

(7 posts)
  1. YikesHelpPlease

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Thu Nov 22 2018 23:36:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I have been getting bit for about a week and a half now. It just dawned on me to suspect bed bugs bc my spouse travels for work. I have windows behind my bed that are almost not accessible. Anyhow, I started searching my mattress. Didn't find a thing there. Moved the bed and on the window sills and behind the shades were bed bugs! All stages, but only found one large one that appeared to be an adult. I'm freaking out! I have a large two story, older home and I don't know where to start! Best tips that Google can't provide. I also bought some Demetrius earth. Proven ways to get rid of these horrible things! Length of time? I'm terrified bc I can't afford a professional for a five-bedroom home. Thanks in advance.

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 12 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 7:00:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Demetrius earth. It's Diatomaceous Earth. You should use Cimexa dust if you want a dust application. You have to follow the instructions. Not for broadcast application.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. SalsaVince

Posted 12 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 14:15:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Ah, I remember the good ol' days when I had no idea what diatomaceous earth is. That's a word no one should have to pronounce but here we are. DE is effective but takes much longer to work (over a week) than Cimexa dusting which can begin working in less than a day. I've had a lot of success with Cimexa. If you do use either of these dusts, be sure not to over apply as Lou said. Most people use it wrong.

That being said, I wouldn't recommend just using these dusts as your sole method of treatment. If it is only a few weeks old, that's great! Don't despair. They are probably contained to just the bedroom so treatment wouldn't be that expensive. You should have a pest control expert come out and do an inspection and give you a quote. They should check the other rooms to verify that it's only in the one. Now's the time to nip the problem in the butt while it's early.

Be careful not wearing clothing from the bed to other rooms and when handling linens from the bed so that you don't spread them. Always double bag clothing and linens from the bed and wash and dry frequently on high heat. Heat is the Achilles heal of bed bugs.

If you really cannot afford any professional treatment, I would recommend getting a small steamer and steaming the bed and window area where they were at and then after it dries, following up with a dusting of Cimexa. And put cases on your mattress and box springs and climb up traps on the bed legs to keep an eye on the problem. If you can afford a couple hundred dollars, it's so worth the professional treatment though. Although it does sound like bed bugs, they can help confirm it so you're using the right tools for the right pest. You know they're there now so their days are numbered.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  4. YikesHelpPlease

newbite

Posted 12 months ago
    Fri Nov 23 2018 21:32:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Salsavince - I'm afraid I went a little crazy with diatomaceous earth, vacuuming and cleaning today. I know thick layers are not advised, but I put DE almost everywhere in my bedroom. There were quite a few bed bugs I found, but have only been getting bit for a week. I haven't found any on the mattress yet either. I read that Cimexa has low toxicity to mammals, but I'm worried about these powders bc I have a child with extreme asthma. I'm keeping him out of my room for that reason. Thank you for the advice!

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 12 months ago
    Sat Nov 24 2018 2:34:57
    #

Login to Send PM

YikesHelpPlease - 4 hours ago  » 
    Salsavince - I'm afraid I went a little crazy with diatomaceous earth, vacuuming and cleaning today. I know thick layers are not advised, but I put DE almost everywhere in my bedroom. There were quite a few bed bugs I found, but have only been getting bit for a week. I haven't found any on the mattress yet either. I read that Cimexa has low toxicity to mammals, but I'm worried about these powders bc I have a child with extreme asthma. I'm keeping him out of my room for that reason. Thank you for the advice!

Vacuuming DE spreads it because general vacuum filters won't contain it and it leaves via the exhaust stream. Because it is abrasive, it will ruin vacuum cleaners over time. Cimexa has no crystalline component compared to DE, so it is safer as dehydrating dusts go. Asthma is still an issue with dusts and other materials.

6. Sleepless2

newbite

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 14:41:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey,
    I would vacuum the DE up with a vacuum with a hepa filter and I would put Cimexa instead. As someone has already mentioned, it is faster working and amorphous silica so has less of a negative impact of lungs. Less of a negative impact, not non existent. It still is hazardous and you should be v careful following instructions of use.
    I am just using Cimexa at the moment as that´s all I have and I´m six weeks in.
    I am v meticulous but am still getting bitten every few days.
    The situation has improved though but it´s not over.
    I would suggest watching Joel Z. Williams videos if you want to self treat.
    I wouldn´t use chemicals yourself unless you really have read lots and lots.
    A good PCO is the best bet, but they´re not as common as bad ones I think.
    Ask key questions to see if they know their stuff.
    The questions I have used are:
    -Does everyone react to the bb bite?
    -What is this I hear about bb resistance to pesticides?

There´s probably a section somewhere on here to help chose a good PCO.
    Good luck.

7. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 11 months ago
    Wed Nov 28 2018 15:36:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I think I went to school with Demetrius Earth.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,906 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186