Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Help needed with ID. Really small, barely visible bugs, crawling on skin all day

(9 posts)
  1. arisp8

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 9 2017 12:42:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,

I have been having this issue for about a week now. There are these really small insects, which can barely be seen with a naked eye, that are crawling on me almost all day and I'm not saying this just because of the sensation of little bugs crawling on my skin but I have actually seen them many times. Sometimes outside home, even after having showered and directly going outside.

So, I'm not exactly sure whether these are bedbugs or not, but it seems that most of the bites I get occur while I'm asleep. I have checked for bugs, spilled blood and feces on my mattress and I haven't actually seen anything. I called someone who cleaned the mattress with a vapor steamer and used insecticide to defuse the situation. It did actually help lessen the problem, but I still see some them the last couple of days.

So we have the following info:
    - They like to crawl on skin.
    - They leave red (Almost like pimples) bitemarks.
    - They are most active at night.
    - They are small, barely visible (I'd say around 1mm) but I guess these could be the bigger ones and the smaller ones may not even be visible.
    - They are OK with crawling on skin (Or maybe under, would hate that scenario). I have seen them on me hours after leaving home.

Bitemark: http://i63.tinypic.com/25i6rtw.jpg (http://i63.tinypic.com/25i6rtw.jpg)

Video of the bug crawling: View My Video (This may not be visible on chrome)

Clear screenshot of the video (If the above link doesn't work): http://i68.tinypic.com/2mmv7kg.png (http://i68.tinypic.com/2mmv7kg.png)

I have circled the bug, I know you can't see any details, just its size. Btw, it's on my hand.

Note: I saw people having issues with images so I tried several combinations to ensure one will work.

2. Mawiwala

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 9 2017 14:48:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe it's bird or rodent mites?

3. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 9 2017 15:55:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a bed bug, but too small for me to ID with the given photos.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 9 2017 22:58:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Need to get a better/closer picture.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  5. arisp8

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 10 2017 7:43:11
    #

Login to Send PM

Mawiwala definitely pointed me in the right direction. I have a balcony behind my room which I had been totally neglecting because it would always become dirty in a matter of 1-2 days after cleaning it because of pigeons.

So I went and cleaned it today, and besides the big amount of pigeon feces and feathers I found 2 dead rodents which may very well have been the cause of the minor infestation that I am facing. I cleaned using chlorine, alcohol and I also used insecticide, especially around the door, hoping to help with the issue.

What steps should I take now besides cleaning the balcony? They may have spread around the house.

6. Mawiwala

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 10 2017 9:15:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I think one of the first step is eradicating the source. If you have pigeons too, those could be nird mites, too. Maybe there is a way to keep the balcony bird free.

If those are rodent mites, you have to find out if there are more nesting somewhere. I don't know the us law but in my country the landlord should be informed and let someone looking for the rats.

The problem is that mites are really reproductive and the issue should be adressed immediatelly.

7. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 1 year ago
    Sat Jun 10 2017 9:38:24
    #

Login to Send PM

If you had pigeons nesting on the balcony and dead rodents in the same place, it could be bird or rodent mites. Try to get a sample or close image to Lou for verification. You may want to call in a good pest pro. Getting rid of the hosts is the first step but you don't necessarily want to be the one to do that. And a pro will be the best one to help with making sure the mites are all gone, assuming that's the correct ID.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  8. bedbuggin

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Fri Jun 16 2017 0:01:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm very sorry to say, but I believe it is scabies

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 7 months ago
    Sun Jul 22 2018 15:12:45
    #

Login to Send PM

bedbuggin - 1 year ago  » 
    I'm very sorry to say, but I believe it is scabies

Has nothing to do with scabies. That's a totally different species of mite. It wouldn't be found crawling on the skin, nor would it look like this one on the skin. I never got to see a better picture, but hand picture sufficient to answer this one regarding Sarcoptes mites (scabies).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

286,253 posts in 47,652 topics over 147 months by 21,005 of 21,326 members. Latest: scaredincanada, BleuRoses, mab1017