Help needed please! Is this a bed bug? [a: beetle]

(5 posts)
  1. HelpNeededPlease

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 24 2013 11:11:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I got these three bites on my left leg near my ankle two weeks ago.

I got really scared because they are in a row and very itchy (still itchy now). I haven't got any new bites like these since then until last night I caught a tiny insect on my bed. Here's the image.
    It is only about 0.1 inch long, in dark brown color.

Is this a baby bed bug? Please help me identify. Thank you!

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 24 2013 11:35:29
    #

Login to Send PM

That's not a bed bug.

3. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 24 2013 13:35:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

Confirming 100% not bedbugs, it's a beetle.

The bites don't help confirm anything but ankles is most commonly associated with fleas. I would check the FAQ on fleas first and then look at self inspection to rule out the confirming signs of bedbugs.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  4. HelpNeededPlease

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 24 2013 14:09:34
    #

Login to Send PM

bed-bugscouk - 15 minutes ago  » 
    Confirming 100% not bedbugs, it's a beetle.

Thank you David! I know that most bed bugs are oval in shape but I've seen some from the pictures that have a long body. How do you tell them from beetles? from the color or the shape?
    This one is so tiny that you can't really see the details. and also the flash was turned on.

5. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Aug 24 2013 15:03:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In this case it's a beetle because the antanae, body shape, position of head in relation to body and position of legs is wrong for it to be bedbugs.

Sample ID is a skill that develops, although you can study entomology and how to use "entomological keys" most that do so have the benefit of a foundation knowledge in science which makes looking for the biological differences easier.

Part of the problem also stems from the fact tht is a level of detail that most people do not normally work at and like all skills in life. I could get good at repairing watches if I studied but it would take longer to train me to do a computer programming job.

It's better to focus on the fine details rather than colour and shape unless the image is too out of focus to start with.

David

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,803 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen