Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug pest control firms (PCOs), Bed bug k9s, etc.

Help! Need Vikane/Thermal Moving Recommendation in DC

(15 posts)
  1. sadpandadc

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Mon Nov 26 2012 21:01:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum, having only discovered these little buggers about a month ago. I live in a studio in DC and actually caught a bug crawling up on my couch arm one evening, which I caught. I got the building's PCO (Owl Pest) to confirm that I had indeed caught a bedbug, and they began my first chemical treatment a week later. I knew the building had had bed bugs in a few units over the summer, but it seems they've just moved on to my apartment and another person's downstairs.

Prior to the first treatment, I didn't notice any bites. But since then, I've had 1 welt come up on my arm, and 2 appear on the back of my neck just last night. I'm checking everywhere, but can't find any signs of where the other bugs might be.

I'm trying to be proactive as I know the building has bugs and I'm not 100% confident that the management is doing a good job fighting it. I want to move in January or February and need some help figuring out a moving strategy.

My question is - has anyone successfully moved in DC with vikane or thermal treatments during the move? I want to finish the 3 rounds that this PCO is going to do on my apartment, but also want to vikane/heat treat my stuff before I move into a new place. I've heard good things about Connor's but am also curious about Superior for heat (although I've seen disgruntled reviews about their service).

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Fri Nov 30 2012 7:07:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. sadpandadc

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2013 15:02:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi everyone, original poster here. Just wanted to let other DC folks know how I moved in case it's helpful to anyone else. I chose to go with Connor's because they seem to be the only PCO around with chamber fumigation. They work with a moving company who seem to be knowledgeable about delivering items to Connor's and redelivering to a new apartment. The only con was that using movers to get to and from Connor's was expensive.

It's only been two weeks, so I'm still being vigilant in case of any stragglers. It's been hard keeping a calm and level head, but I'm really hoping that this works out for the long run. Good luck to other DC folks battling bed bugs!

4. NOtobedbugs

Posted 6 years ago
    Thu Jan 24 2013 18:23:57
    #

Login to Send PM

GEe, that is nice of you to update and help others. Sorry noone was able to help you before.

5. mboogie

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Nov 29 2013 1:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey, Sad, thanks for the info about Connor's. How much, approximately, did it cost to use the fumigation chamber?

6. SteamingMad

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Nov 30 2013 21:20:31
    #

Login to Send PM

This thread is quite old, but mboogie, if you're looking, I believe Environmental Heat Solutions based out of Loudoun County, VA will heat treat moving trucks. They successfully heat treated my apartment as well as a friend's single family house. They're good people - I was really happy with them.

Good luck!

7. Emm

Posted 5 years ago
    Sun Dec 1 2013 20:28:27
    #

Login to Send PM

I believe superior bed bug solutions in arlington/alexandria will also heat treat moving trucks. They heat treated my apartment and did a great job.

http://www.superiorbedbugsolutions.com/

They also generally have coupons on angies list. Let me know if you need one and I can email it to you.

8. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Feb 27 2014 23:59:53
    #

Login to Send PM

I am very curious if there are any updates here, if the people who used these various companies are still bed bug free and/or if anyone has any other recommendations. I am going crazy trying to figure out how to move without moving the little monsters with me, and this could potentially be a solution for me. I am also wondering (with some apprehension) how much such a thing (having my stuff treated in a moving truck) would cost. I originally didn't think this was an option for me at all, but the more I think about all the permutations of dealing with all my belongings, the more I want to revisit the idea. I appreciate any advice! Thanks.

9. Emm

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 28 2014 15:38:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Still bed bug free (I used SBBS). A friend used Connors last year and had great luck. I just checked angies list and yelp and both companies still have great reviews. Try calling them for a price estimate and see who you're comfortable with. They'll describe their services, warranty, etc.

I would assume the cost will be around or above $1,000. It was $1,500 to heat treat a 1 bedroom apartment, which is the going rate around DC. Call though--it may be different for a move.

10. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 28 2014 16:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you, Emm! That is definitely reassuring to hear that you are still bb free after one year. I will call both SBBS and Connor's. It seems that I have read conflicting reviews of Connor's. More than anything, I want to make sure that whatever I do works. Well, I'm not rich, by any means, but if it will work I will find the money. Slightly OT, do you think it would be worth subscribing to Angie's List for this purpose? I am not a member. Is there something that makes their reviews more reliable than, say, Yelp, do you think? I do have about a month to get this all figured out -- not a ton of time, but not no time. My preference is to finish all the treatments here, like the original poster above, and then treat all my belongings again before moving to my new place (but not in situ, as the LL is not treating the rest of this building so I don't have a great deal of confidence that this apartment will remain bb free). Thanks again.

11. Emm

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 28 2014 17:08:18
    #

Login to Send PM

I like angies list because sometimes they have coupons (they do for connors right now), and I also felt the reviews were more comprehensive. Plus you must give your name, so no anonymous reviews. I think this leads to more honesty. The physicians reviews are also good, I use those alot.

Dont pay full price though. Get coupons here: http://www.retailmenot.com/s/angies+list. I got a 1 year, including doctor reviews and such, for less than $20 a year thanks to the 40% off coupon, and I just renewed the same bundle for $15/yr.

12. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Feb 28 2014 17:49:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks again, Emm! I really appreciate your willingness to come back on here and help others, even though you're no longer dealing with bbs yourself. I think I will sign up with Angie's List to see what people have said about these companies (and if there are any others). I used to belong to Consumers Checkbook, now that I think about it, and they were very helpful as well. Hopefully one of the companies will work with moving trucks, as I think logistically that would help me out a lot (and it seems logically that would have to be an easier way of treating everything, since it would all be contained in one unit that doesn't adjoin onto anything else). Alternatively, I suppose I could ask for the treatment to be done in my apartment immediately prior to moving. I welcome your or anyone else's thoughts on what makes the most sense. Thanks again!!

13. rhymeswithitch

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 12:55:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I am also looking for a moving company in DC that can help me move without bed bugs! Connor's quoted me $600 for just the use of the fumigation chamber. Movers and a truck to take things to and from DC would probably be around $1000. (So $1600 total.) Maybe I could rent a truck though and just try my best to load it myself?

Superior Bed Bug Solutions doesn't recommend treating a moving truck. In fact, they said that the heat they use might not even work inside moving boxes and that everything would have to be loose. (They didn't give me a price.)

I'll check with Environmental Heat Solutions next. But if anyone has any other recommendations or tips, please do share!!!

Scaredstiffofbbs, I could have written the exact same thing as you! My apartment manager is currently having my place treated, but I have little confidence in them, and am pretty sure the bb's are coming from a neighboring unit. I'd love to complete treatment here, then move everything out and get it treated again, before moving to a new place.

14. scaredstiffofbbs

Posted 5 years ago
    Tue Mar 11 2014 20:29:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Rhymeswithitch (love your name!), thank you for sharing everything you found out. At this point I am leaning strongly toward treating everything myself before I move and then immediately bagging it up, getting it out of here, moving it myself, having it briefly in storage and then treating it again as an extra precaution before moving it into my new place. The cost is so high to have it treated in a moving truck, and if it might not be effective, then it seems like possibly just throwing money away. At least if I packtite everything myself I will know that the bugs are gone. I will probably haul my furniture (other than small tables and the like that can go in the PT closet) to the dump (shrink wrapped and marked as infested), which makes me sad, but otherwise I would be paying to move it long distance without knowing whether it is infested. It really bothers me that the LL won't be treating any of the other units. Without that, I feel that the problem will never be eradicated from this building. I guess I can see why DC has moved so far up the list of infested cities. Well, on the bright side, I'm not moving to Ohio!

15. potomaccanine

newbite

Posted 5 years ago
    Thu Mar 13 2014 17:46:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't speak for Connors or Superior, but our company has conducted post treatment inspections after Environmental and have found that they do a good job.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982