Help me identify my bites! PLEASE!

(10 posts)
  1. Cohelp

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 21:33:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I've been getting bit for the past three weeks. Mostly on my legs, but so far, haven't noticed a pattern. Except on my shoulder. These bites don't itch, but they look like they have puss in the middle. Any thoughts if these are bed bug bites?

Links below:

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5ZUst3nhZ7RFv2Px1NFusX1wGSAUf4EN1dMCfMf5hJU?feat=directlink

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FEy0qDcfkAI3VGazucchHH1wGSAUf4EN1dMCfMf5hJU?feat=directlink

2. rs1971

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 21:43:26
    #

Login to Send PM

Cohelp - 8 minutes ago  » 
    I've been getting bit for the past three weeks. Mostly on my legs, but so far, haven't noticed a pattern. Except on my shoulder. These bites don't itch, but they look like they have puss in the middle. Any thoughts if these are bed bug bites?
    Links below:
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/5ZUst3nhZ7RFv2Px1NFusX1wGSAUf4EN1dMCfMf5hJU?feat=directlink
    https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/FEy0qDcfkAI3VGazucchHH1wGSAUf4EN1dMCfMf5hJU?feat=directlink

Hi Cohelp,

Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to tell you based on photos (or direct observation for that matter) of the marks on your sking whether or not they were caused by bed bugs. If you suspect bed bugs, you might want to check out the FAQs section on this site to look for the signs and then do a thorough inspection of your sleeping area.

Good luck!

-rs1971

3. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 21:50:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Do they sting in hot water? Can you feel yourself getting bit as it's happening?

4. Cohelp

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 21:54:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I haven't noticed if they sting. Haven't noticed getting bit.

5. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 22:02:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Tough to say. The image of your shoulder bites looks an awful lot like mite bites (but you'd probably feel those), but the dot in the middle of the final bite photo is characteristic of flea bites. If the bites are primarily on your legs (ankles?), fleas would make sense. Do you have pets? Although nobody can tell you whether you have bedbugs by photos of bites alone, I am feeling skeptical that they are from bb's. I would do a thorough inspection of your bedroom/bed and also try vacuuming to see if you come up with anything.

6. Cohelp

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 22:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Yeah, I've looked on my mattress and scoped my room out, and haven't found anything. I don't know what to do next.

7. brooklyn_bites

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 22:20:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Are the bites all over your legs or mostly around your ankles?
    Do you have pets?

8. Cohelp

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 22:21:00
    #

Login to Send PM

This blows. Have a cat.

9. edtt

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 23:20:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Is your cat treated? Does he/she sleep with you or on your bed?
    Fleas are a pain, yet a whole lot easier to get rid of.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu May 24 2012 23:30:48
    #

Login to Send PM

rs1971 - 1 hour ago  » 

Unfortunately, no one is going to be able to tell you based on photos (or direct observation for that matter) of the marks on your sking whether or not they were caused by bed bugs. If you suspect bed bugs, you might want to check out the FAQs section on this site to look for the signs and then do a thorough inspection of your sleeping area.

rs1971 has good advice.

You can't tell by looking at the bites.

That said, we hear fleas tend to bite more on ankles/legs than elsewhere, so it's worth ruling them out. They are potentially easier to deal with than bed bugs, so don't freak out if you have fleas.

A plugin flea trap might help you figure this out. You should also see them at some point.

Bed bug monitors can help determine if you have bed bugs (see FAQs on bed bug monitors linked from Useful Stuff page for more on monitors).

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,776 posts in 49,800 topics over 154 months by 21,797 of 22,262 members. Latest: Laura07, n4mn3p, ireallydontwantbedbugs