Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » General Topics

Help me decide: dealing with treated clothes stored at the laundrymat

(9 posts)
  1. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 0:49:53
    #

Login to Send PM

At the beginning Of my infestation 3 months ago, I sent my clothes off to be treated by a large laundry service in NY. The service was specific to bed bugs and the laundry was to spend the needed time to kill anything in the drying. Dry cleaning was PERC'ed.

I had no issues with the clothes that were returned to me immediately.

However, storage at a facility that treat bugs obviously risks reinfesting clothes. Bags are left open so as not to damage fabrics. Dirty clothes and clean clothes are delivered in the same vehicles which includes infested laundry. It's been there for 3 months. It included tough to treat items that I would have tossed knowing what I know now.

In retrospect, I do believe that the treatment was affective for the reasons given: that they risk infecting themselves if they did not.

I am considering having it delivered to my new uninfested place. I am going to retreat here with my packtite.

My plan is to receive the laundry in my driveway and bag immediately but not seal. Then sort and bag some items for the garbage. The stuff I keep will be bag in ziplocks and then doublebag with a contractor bag that I will tape shut.

Then I will wash the driveway off and move the bags to my porch.

Then inside where I will strip, treat my worn clothes/shoes and shower. After changing returning downstairs to bring the items up where they will remain sealed until I open inside the running packtite.

What do you think? I do have a storage locker where I could receive and store this stuff too, but I really like to have clothes again.

What would you do? Thoughts or advise on my plan?

2. theyareoutthere

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 0:57:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm tired and not an expert by ANY means

1. The delivery truck seems risky, but they may have pretty strict protocols for receiving infested item. The person I know in the industry (not that well) says they treat most items as suspect.

2. The storage locker seems riskier to me.

3. It sounds like a good plan. I recently read that David Cain stands in a large plastic box when he comes home to check for issues. Maybe that would help.

Good luck!

They
    Are
    Out
    There
    = TAOT
  3. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 1:36:04
    #

Login to Send PM

AshamedandScratching I'm feelin' you. You have an excellant plan--you covered every base--the good stuff that your just itchn (forgive me) to wear is covered in double plastic. I'm not f*ckn around now, your plan sounds like a plan. Forget about the storage locker.

AaS listen-up. I'm not even a junior member so I'll not hang myself out to dry here on the boards. Maybe you want to hear it from an old-timer but it sound bullet-proof to me.

I just wish i could see this operation on video.......pm me on that!

For real AaS, all the best. And keep on posting. Do you think nobugs would allow you to have a surname? Like AshamedandScratching_Ain'tashamedorScratching_Anymore

4. BBFSTyler

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 7:46:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you considered just picking them up yourself, placing them in new plastic bags outside the laundry but before going into your vehicle (if you have one) and taking them to a DIY laundromat with large capacity dryers? You could quickly heat treat everything at one location, rebag with new "clean" plastic bags (to be safe) and take them home for visual inspection prior to entering your new location...
    Just a thought, best of luck!

5. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 8:34:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Such a great idea and so easy, but I'm a New Yorker, so no car.

Otherwise, do thius plan look feasible or high-risk?

6. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 12:10:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyone else, see any holes? anywhere I might be hyperfocussing?

7. bedbugsuptown

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed Nov 2 2011 23:24:43
    #

Login to Send PM

C'mon AshamedandScratching listen to us two newbites. If I hang here long enough I'll be a junior member in a month or so. Go for it. Your new life awaits, I can smell the roses.................

8. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2011 7:58:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, guys! I have a delivery for today. I'm still going to be cautious because 3 months of storage with general population laundry scares me.

I'll let you know how it goes and how the first sweater feels!

9. AshamedandScratching

Posted 7 years ago
    Thu Nov 3 2011 16:05:05
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess I should say I've been wearing the same summer and some stray early fall dresses since August this year.

I can't wait for pants!

Or sweaters!

Or long sleeved shirts!

And my first load is packtiting.

So far, so good.

The clothes were returned to me as the original delivery were prepared: in forceflex bags that wear tied up top. If they had been thicker I'd have just put it away. But there are tears here and there. The clothes seem to have been taken well care of--even after a few months of storage.

Good things.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

293,559 posts in 49,289 topics over 152 months by 21,600 of 22,025 members. Latest: eldina714, Eevee, cat