(34 posts)
  1. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 20:30:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi.

I found blood stains two times on my sheets, I checked the room myself and did not find anything I even asked my apartment manager and they called the pest control, they came and they said they did not find anything and they are not sure what has caused the stains. That was almost a month ago. I bought the DIATOMACEOUS EARTH powder and put a lot under the bed, and on some corners of my room, and in the toilet cabinet.
    Today, I found a live bedbug on the wall of my washroom. Also a dead one just on the floor of my washroom!
    I will ask the manager to call the pest control tomorrow morning. I am just freaking out now. Do you think they might live in the washroom? I should mention that the building is too old, there are so many holes on the walls, all corners
    Any advice? Do you think the powder has killed the other one? Is it possible that they came from the room to the bathroom to drink water? Since I know the powder dihydrate them.
    I just put lots of powder on the corners of my bathroom,
    I appreciate any help/thoughts you share with me. It is just driving me crazy.

Thanks.

2. micachica

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 23:02:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bugs in your bathroom can indicate they’re coming from a neighboring apartment. Bed bugs like to stay near their food source which is your blood. Unless you’re spending tons of time lounging in your bathroom they’re more likely to be harboring near your bed, couch, chair etc. if and when you do get treatment I’d hope your neighbors above below and next door would be inspected and treated too if bed bugs are found.

3. micachica

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 23:04:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Also there are tons of people here that can identify the bug you found if you post a pic. If you don’t want to wait for pest control to confirm.

4. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 23:19:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank for the reply. This is the picture: I put the bug in a bottle so sorry if the quality is not good
    https://ibb.co/fxNLeS

5. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Wed May 2 2018 23:42:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for your reply, this is the picture. I put that in a bottle, so sorry for low quality/

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 9:19:00
    #

Login to Send PM

male bed bug or close relative

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  7. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 9:37:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the help. These are the picture of the other one that I found dead:

https://ibb.co/bL8ppS
    https://ibb.co/dN3din

8. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 11:42:24
    #

Login to Send PM

Just talked to the superintendent, she is insisting that the building is clean!! I know myself several of my friends who got bed bug in the past few months!
    She said the company may come on Monday for the inspection! But what if again they say they do not find anything like last time? I am not sure if this company even has any pieces of equipment!!
    Please give e some suggestions!! what can I do myself?
    Really appreciate your help.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 11:54:51
    #

Login to Send PM

samsam - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thank you for the help. These are the picture of the other one that I found dead:
    https://ibb.co/bL8ppS
    https://ibb.co/dN3din

Too bad it's in plastic, but another one. Not a male. Looks like female- wing pads are visible.

10. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 11:57:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Tell us about building. DE you used must have killed them -- takes weeks for it to work. There must be more of an issue, just that no one is complaining to trying to treat on their own. Super or management just hasn't been proactive so they don't really know what's going on. Only relying on complaints, so are reactive.

11. micachica

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 14:37:12
    #

Login to Send PM

You can at least show the inspector your pics of the bugs in your apt. That would be evidence that should at least get your apt treated.

12. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 14:52:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply, I called the manager today, he told me he will take care of the issue and will ask for the treatment soon.
    Do you recommend buying a steam cleaner? Will it help until they come for the treatment?

Thanks

13. micachica

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 15:44:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Steam can help kill bugs you find on contact. Also 91% isopropyl alcohol will kill bugs on contact but don’t go spraying it all over as it’s highly flammable and has no residual effect only kills if you spray it directly on the bug. Depending on how long the wait is for professional treatment it might be easier to just wait (and I know how hard that is to do!). Don’t use a bed bug bomb as this will just complicate the extermination process by dispersing the bugs. There are lots of DIY treatment suggestions on this forum. But beware some PCOs don’t like you self treating as it can cause issues with the treatment they use.

14. djames1921

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 23:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs, any chance it's a bat bug? I can't tell from photo but the bathroom location is suspicious. In my area, we often get bat bugs and they will show up in bathrooms/ hall closets or other areas not typical for bed bugs. Usually near where bats are roosting.

15. djames1921

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 3 2018 23:39:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Loubugs, any chance it's a bat bug? I can't tell from photo but the bathroom location is suspicious. In my area, we often get bat bugs and they will show up in bathrooms/ hall closets or other areas not typical for bed bugs. Usually near where bats are roosting.

16. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 9:50:17
    #

Login to Send PM

djames1921 - 10 hours ago  » 

Bat bugs do not bite humans, right? but I have found blood stains on my bed sheets two times.

17. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 11:40:04
    #

Login to Send PM

They will bite humans.

Killer of bed bugs for Homeless Empowerment Program
  18. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 13:44:45
    #

Login to Send PM

samsam - 3 hours ago  » 

djames1921 - 10 hours ago  » 

Bat bugs do not bite humans, right? but I have found blood stains on my bed sheets two times.

Bat bugs bite humans but prefer bats. They'll come down from where the bat roosts are (bats may have left), feed on you and try to go back to the roosts rather than stay with you.

19. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 13:45:36
    #

Login to Send PM

djames1921 - 14 hours ago  » 

I wasn't quite sure, that's why when I first said that it was a male bed bug or close relative. I thought more info would be forthcoming.

20. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 14:37:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, everyone for your replies.
    I am still waiting for the building to call the pest control company. My boyfriend just said that he might also saw one of them hours before we found the two in the bathroom.
    He found the one in the toilet drowned in the water. He saw it but did not think that it is something serious. Just wanted to share this with you too. Can bed bugs go into the toilet?
    I should also mention that there were other units having bedbug issue before. Just the superintendent does not like to say that to everyone.

21. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 14:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

samsam - 4 minutes ago  » 
    I am still waiting for the building to call the pest control company. My boyfriend just said that he might also saw one of them hours before we found the two in the bathroom.
    He found the one in the toilet drowned in the water. He saw it but did not think that it is something serious. Just wanted to share this with you too. Can bed bugs go into the toilet?
    I should also mention that there were other units having bedbug issue before. Just the superintendent does not like to say that to everyone.

Toilet would have been a wrong turn. It would be best to see good pictures (not behind plastic), maybe a specimen, to be sure that it is a common bed bug or another, related species.

22. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 4 2018 18:07:23
    #

Login to Send PM

These are the picture of the dead one I found on the floor:
    https://ibb.co/mJd0in
    https://ibb.co/fiMaG7
    https://ibb.co/mvFP9S

Please let me know if you think it is not a bed bug, thanks

23. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sat May 5 2018 19:00:05
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 

samsam - 4 minutes ago  » 

Toilet would have been a wrong turn. It would be best to see good pictures (not behind plastic), maybe a specimen, to be sure that it is a common bed bug or another, related species.

These are the picture of the dead one I found on the floor:
    https://ibb.co/mJd0in
    https://ibb.co/fiMaG7
    https://ibb.co/mvFP9S

Please let me know if you think it is not a bed bug, thanks

24. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 13:34:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello

I used to put duct tape over the outlets; today, I noticed these tiny brownish things all over one of the outlets; is it related to the bedbug? Can be the eggs? Sorry for adding too many posts here. I just do not know what to do, the pest control may come tomorrow, but until then I don't know what to do!
    These are the pictures of the outlet:

https://ibb.co/i38k3n
    https://ibb.co/nxvXin
    https://ibb.co/maN1b7
    https://ibb.co/fPiw9S

Thanks a lot for all the help.

25. Bugsareicky

Posted 5 months ago
    Sun May 6 2018 14:20:58
    #

Login to Send PM

samsam - If you zoom in on those pictures, it's pretty easy to see they are tiny insects. (I can very clearly make out head, body, and legs on the last picture) I'm not a professional, but I don't think they are bedbug related. To me they look like book louse, but I could definitely be wrong on that. I think someone here will have a better idea of what they are exactly. Your PCO will likely know too if he comes before you get an answer here.

26. loubugs

old timer

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 7 2018 4:28:32
    #

Login to Send PM

samsam - 14 hours ago  » 
    Hello
    I used to put duct tape over the outlets; today, I noticed these tiny brownish things all over one of the outlets; is it related to the bedbug? Can be the eggs? Sorry for adding too many posts here. I just do not know what to do, the pest control may come tomorrow, but until then I don't know what to do!
    These are the pictures of the outlet:
    Thanks a lot for all the help.

Yes, these are booklice.

27. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Mon May 7 2018 19:32:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you so much, everyone for the advice.
    The PCO came today, he only checked the bedbug I put in the bottle, and he said they will book the treatment by the end of the week. I have not found any other blood stains or any bugs again, but I have put DE all over the bed and in the washroom as it was the place I saw the bugs.
    I always was frightened of bedbugs, and now it is so sad for me; cannot sleep well at nights. Hopefully, after the treatment, everything would be fine!
    Thanks again.

28. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Thu May 10 2018 16:18:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Update: I just heard from a neighbor in the 6th floor (i am on 10th) that they saw a bed bug near the air ventilation on their hallway. They had bed bug before (a year ago) but they treated and moved from 4th floor to 6th. So, I think now that the building is infested and since I also found the bugs in my bathroom (which is in the same side as the neighbor that I mentioned is living); definitely they came from the air vent. Also, the air vent is right above the toilet, and it now makes sense why there was one drowning in the sink.
    PCO came today and I heard from the superintendent that they will come again in the next two weeks. they asked me to vacuum all the DE I put.
    Just wanted to give an update here, thanks.

29. LittleRin

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 4:25:11
    #

Login to Send PM

The DE you're using - is it food grade? This is very important. pool grade DE is very, very dangerous.

Are you sleeping in the bed with the DE on it? Or did you put DE on your bed and then wrap it in an encasement? DE in any form is bad for your lungs and you should not breathe it in.

If you have the money, I would also get a shop vac with HEPA bags or a filterless vacuum. DE is a very fine powder and can damage your vacuum cleaner.

Cimexa is a better, faster, and much safer alternative (though you should still avoid getting it on your skin, eyes, or breathing it in.) You can also vacuum it without problems.

30. samsam

newbite

Posted 5 months ago
    Fri May 11 2018 14:05:47
    #

Login to Send PM

LittleRin - 9 hours ago  » 
    The DE you're using - is it food grade? This is very important. pool grade DE is very, very dangerous.
    Are you sleeping in the bed with the DE on it? Or did you put DE on your bed and then wrap it in an encasement? DE in any form is bad for your lungs and you should not breathe it in.
    If you have the money, I would also get a shop vac with HEPA bags or a filterless vacuum. DE is a very fine powder and can damage your vacuum cleaner.
    Cimexa is a better, faster, and much safer alternative (though you should still avoid getting it on your skin, eyes, or breathing it in.) You can also vacuum it without problems.

Thanks , I thought DE is harmless! Not sure if the one I used is food or pool grade!
    I will buy Cimexa, I am going to put some plastics and duct tape over the air vent too since I think that is where they came from.

31. samsam

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 10:19:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello everyone,

As I posted before, I found two bedbugs in the bathroom, and one dead in the toilet sink. The PCO came and they sprayed two times. And they said it should be fine now but if you see them again call the superintendent. After the first treatment, I found one dead, and after the second time, another dead one was found.
    Since I found them in the bathroom, I was suspicious about the air ventilation. So I put a plastic on it with duct tapes.
    Today, I found the bug stuck in the plastic. here is the photo:

https://ibb.co/bHQO7o

I am going to talk to the superintendent. But before that, anyone has a similar experience? do they come from air ventilation? Does it mean that my upper floor neighbor has it? I am on the 10th floor of a 16th-floor building. Any help would be appreciated.

32. bugged-cdn

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 13:53:25
    #

Login to Send PM

do they come from air ventilation?
    They could, of course. They can squeeze through tiny openings (think: thickness of a credit card).

33. samsam

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Jun 10 2018 14:48:27
    #

Login to Send PM

bugged-cdn - 53 minutes ago  » 

They could, of course. They can squeeze through tiny openings (think: thickness of a credit card).

Thank you. So just wondering if I am correct and the bug in the photo is actually a bedbug. Please identify it if you can. This is the photo again:

https://ibb.co/bHQO7o

34. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 months ago
    Mon Jun 11 2018 5:22:45
    #

Login to Send PM

samsam - 14 hours ago  » 

bugged-cdn - 53 minutes ago  » 

Thank you. So just wondering if I am correct and the bug in the photo is actually a bedbug. Please identify it if you can. This is the photo again:

Yes, looks like small nymph. Not recently fed.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,493 posts in 46,592 topics over 142 months by 20,549 of 21,416 members. Latest: srbutler, Nomorepleaze, pestbreaker