Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Free for all

HELP! JUST found bugs livin in MATTRESS...WHAT NEXT?

(9 posts)
  1. jborer

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jan 11 2010 22:39:02
    #

Login to Send PM

A month ago i bought a used mattress which appeared in good condition sold from a nice couple (Last time i ever do this). Soon after, my girlfriend started noticing very itchy bites around her ankles. She continued to get bites whenever spending the night, on her legs and ankles. I never have any reaction to the bites they only affect her.

Anyway, its been a month and today i purchased a cover for my mattress. I also did a huge room clean and removed bags and other junk that used to be under my bed.
    We haven't seen any bugs or other indications such as feces stains or skin but her bites only occur at night and started after i got the new mattress so bed bugs must be the cause.

My questions are as follows:
    1. If bed bugs are established in the bed are they likely to seek a new home? Should I be confident in my new mattress cover? Should i be wary of my golf clubs, backpacking backpack, and other junk that was stored under my bed?

2. How wary should my girlfriend be about transporting them to her house? She's usually naked in my bed and doesn't leave until late morning when bugs are hiding and i think only a few bugs exist at this point.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jan 11 2010 23:32:13
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, J. Sorry you need to deal with this. If it's BB, then, yes, you need to be careful about other stuff in the room, including under the bed. And yes, you need to take precautions to keep from spreading to other places. At the minimum, please get educated, review the FAQ and info on the resource page. You'll find lots if support and (mostly) smart, helpful people here. You may need professional inspection and treatment. Also consider that your GFs reaction was delayed (and the infeststion is/was elsewhere or is older than your mattress) or her reaction could be to something other than BB. In any case, hang in there and treat yourselves well.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 0:49:42
    #

Login to Send PM

jborer - 2 hours ago  » 

We haven't seen any bugs or other indications such as feces stains or skin but her bites only occur at night and started after i got the new mattress so bed bugs must be the cause.

BBs are a possibility but if her only indications are skin reactions near her ankles and you can't find anything on that side of the bed, BBs are less likely.

Do not get tunnel vision as to the cause.

It was a very bad idea to buy a used mattress but you may not have gotten BBs.

Jim

4. jborer

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 14:46:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replies. I put on my mattress cover and cleaned up under my bed. She spent last night here for the first time in a few days and woke up with some new bites, some solo and some in pairs of twos. As much as I want to pray they aren't bed bugs, i dont know what else the bites could be from. I tried catching them in the action in the middle of the night but was unsuccessful.

Unfortunately my room is made for these guys. I have a home made wood bed frame with plenty of places for them to hide. I I also have a wooden dresser right next to my bed. In that isnt enough there is a tiny gap between my wood floors and the wall all around my room.

Even if i hot dry my clothes is it pointless to put them back in my dresser? Is the big risk providing a place for them to live or spreading them?

Is it worth trying to contain them on my own or do I need to contact my landlord as soon as possible? I read many posts and FAQ. Does the advice try to help prevent the spread of them or limit their living spaces?

Any advice/help is much appreciated. Im definitely stressing about this unfortunate situation. Im stressing way more then my girlfriend and shes the one getting bit!

thanks

5. buggedout16

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 15:21:54
    #

Login to Send PM

If you suspect bedbugs I would place your clothes into giant Ziplocs after you hot dry them, keep all clean clothes in ziplocs for now. Murphy's Oil Soap is a good contact killer you can use on wooden furniture.

About contacting your landlord- I would do it, especially since they are usually responsible for the cost of a PCO, and also if other apartments around you have these too, treating just yours will not be nearly as effective in the long run. But be sure you have a lot of knowledge before the PCO comes- depending on your landlord's pest control company they may know a little or a lot; they may give you a prep sheet and they may not. Meanwhile I would also look thoroughly around your room for signs of them- BBSCOUK has a lot of pictures of what the fecal spots look like, and also for cast skins etc. Without those signs, most PCOs will not treat- some (good) PCOs will do inspection themselves, but mine did not really do that. Also try to get them to inspect surrounding apartments; per my landlord's policy our PCO can't do that unless other people "complain" which is very very aggravating but that's a different story.

Read the FAQs here too, over and over- they really really have so much good information. I had forgotten that but have been doing rereading of them the past couple days and found info I never read before- I think in the early panicking part of the infestation it is hard to take stuff in, so go back to them again later too.

I'm sorry you're here and I hope that it's NOT BBs. (It sounds like it could also be fleas since bites are mostly on legs and ankles? have you tried one of those plug in flea traps? maybe do that before calling your landlord for sure, but I would still continue with the bagging of all laundry for now.)

6. jborer

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 16:10:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks "buggedout" for your advice. I will definitly start bagging clothes and washing furniture. How do you recommend i clean items that were under my bed such as golf clubs, backpacks, cardboard boxes, snowboard, ect? Everyone says hot water but i dont want to carry items around my house and increase the likelihood of spreading the bugs.

The bed bugs most likely came in through my mattress so it should be concentrated here for now. Im freaked out my housemates will start getting bit as well. Ill keep cleaning, and looking for clues. Thanks again.

7. jborer

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 16:38:38
    #

Login to Send PM

UPDATE: I think i have found bed bug scat in the plywood part of my bed frame! There are grey and black bunches in the cracks. Can't confirm for sure but looks like some but not all of the pictures I've see. NOW WHAT?! What do I do with the ply wood and rest of bed frame? Keep in in the room or dump it in the back? Shit this sucks

8. jborer

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 16:41:11
    #

Login to Send PM

[expletive deleted] , Now it may just be the glue keeping the plywood together. My paranoia is getting the best of me. What are the sure signs of bed bug scat?

9. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jan 12 2010 17:31:38
    #

Login to Send PM

jborer - 41 minutes ago  » 
    [expletive deleted], Now it may just be the glue keeping the plywood together. My paranoia is getting the best of me. What are the sure signs of bed bug scat?

IIRC, poop on a porous surface looks like a dot or streak made by a black felt tip marker.

If you're concerned about items under your bed and they're not wash/dryable, you can bag them securely while you consider your treatment options. Note that moving things around could disturb BB and cause them to spread, so keep your eyes open while you work and kill any stragglers. Down the road you might want a pack tire, which you can use up treat most things that fit. People have also discussed bagging with DDVP strips, but read up on this topic carefully before doing. If you have slot of stuff and it's valuable, you can opt for thermal or gas fumigation. Some pros indicate that if a place is treated right (and you're not about to move), bugs will eventually come out of objects to feed on you and will cross poison on the way (and die).

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,846 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas