HELP is this normal after treatment?

(6 posts)
  1. elk99

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 5:30:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I had a 3 stage bed bug extermination a few weeks ago (he used heat, insecticide and dust apparently), but I’m not sure how long ago exactly as I’m in student halls and this happened during my break at home.

I’ve come back to my accommodation and just moved in - I keep everything in plastic bags, have an encasement and make a habit out of meticulously washing my sheets and putting them in the dryer. Yesterday I found this... it was dead already and quite hard to get off of the duvet but I know for a fact that it must’ve crawled on and died else I would’ve seen it in previous inspections. Should I be worried? This whole ordeal has really gotten to me and I’m so stressed I need sleeping aids...

https://imgur.com/a/jJRFviw

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 8:42:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Dead is good, no?

3. elk99

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 11:51:18
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 3 hours ago  » 
    Dead is good, no?

Yeah I’d much rather find a dead one! But I wasn’t sure if this meant that the bed bugs were still around and if I needed another treatment etc

4. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 12:23:34
    #

Login to Send PM

It's only confirming that dead bed bugs are present. I've found that cast skins can turn up long after a treatment, also not confirming of live bed bugs.
    The treatment sounds like all angles were covered, I don't suspect you'll find anything alive at this point. Be mindful of who and what you bring in at this point to avoid a reintroduction.

5. elk99

newbite

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 16:41:02
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 4 hours ago  » 
    It's only confirming that dead bed bugs are present. I've found that cast skins can turn up long after a treatment, also not confirming of live bed bugs.
    The treatment sounds like all angles were covered, I don't suspect you'll find anything alive at this point. Be mindful of who and what you bring in at this point to avoid a reintroduction.

Thank you so much for some peace of mind! My only issue now is that I know multiple rooms in my flat have bed bug infestations (other flatmates have noticed) and the university dorms aren’t doing much about it. Is there a way to prevent them coming back into my room at all?

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 8 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 16:47:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Communal housing has its issues. Getting people to talk about bed bugs and not feel ashamed is the best protection in that setting, but I understand that bed bugs still have a stigma attached. Maybe you can get some of the other residents interested enough to use a monitor in their own room. There are ready-made monitors for sale or search this site for threads on DIY monitors.
    The best way to combat bed bugs in your setting is unfortunately not the easiest, but if you can get a few people on board it's a start.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,748 posts in 49,541 topics over 153 months by 21,704 of 22,148 members. Latest: germanhippie, Sportbb42, Katieaus