Help, is this a bed bug?

(13 posts)
  1. ajs214

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 23:05:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspect I'm over-reacting, but could someone put my mind at ease and confirm this isn't a bedbug? (Or I suppose let me know it is a bed bug and let me get started trying to resolve this problem). I've caught it in a zip lock bag, so can take more pictures if these aren't clear enough.

http://img855.imageshack.us/i/bug1d.jpg/

http://img13.imageshack.us/i/bug2o.jpg/

Thanks in advance!

2. pinupchick

newbite

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 23:11:41
    #

Login to Send PM

I have carpet beetles in my apartment (not bedbugs) and they look just like the bug you posted. I'm pretty sure that's what it is, but someone with more bug knowledge will probably confirm.

3. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Mon Apr 25 2011 23:52:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not the best photo IDer on the site, so you'll probably feel a lot more certain once one of them comes by and says absolutely not, but from what I can see of the photo, if I found that in my apartment, I wouldn't freak out. Looks more beetle like than bed bug like to me.

4. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue Apr 26 2011 2:52:07
    #

Login to Send PM

It's a Dermestid beetle - Attagenus sp.

5. Buggybumpers

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 14:06:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I know for sure I have BBs and other insects, too, but I have a quesion as I am still not completely clear on what a BB nymph is supposed to look like. I have read they are clear in color unless they feed but how small are they really? Last night I saw what looked like a black dot on my pillowcase.
    My vision is not 20/20 and, honestly, if I did not have a strong magnifying glass here I would not have been able to tell that black dot was a bug. When magnified, the thing no longer appeared black but reddish. And, yes, it had that "apple seed" shape. Are BBs really that teeny??? If so,
    I can't understand how one could even notice them most of the time, suspect it was one, much less try to catch them. I only noticed it because I am hypersensitive by now. But a few months ago, I wouldn't have given it a second thought.

6. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 17:54:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Nymphs look like little adults
    1st instar: white, translucent, lenght 1,5 mm
    2nd instar: light orange, 2 mm
    3rd instar: from orange to light brown, 2,5 mm
    4th instar: brown, 3,5 mm
    5th instar: brown, 4,5 mm
    Adult: brown, 5,5-6 mm

7. Buggybumpers

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 18:30:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, EffeCi. This thing was not white, a kind of a darkish red under the light and was lucky to be even 1 mm. I have a tape measure here with the metric system on one side so I can estimate. How many kinds of bugs do I have here, anyway?! This is getting mind boggling.

8. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Tue May 3 2011 22:21:25
    #

Login to Send PM

EffeCi - 4 hours ago  » 
    Nymphs look like little adults
    1st instar: white, translucent, lenght 1,5 mm
    2nd instar: light orange, 2 mm
    3rd instar: from orange to light brown, 2,5 mm
    4th instar: brown, 3,5 mm
    5th instar: brown, 4,5 mm
    Adult: brown, 5,5-6 mm

Do you always see their legs and dots for eyes no matter how young or small they are?

9. Buggybumpers

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 1:46:25
    #

Login to Send PM

I can just see that they are bugs with the "zoom in" part of my magnifying glass. They are so tiny I doubt I could ever see their eyes and I don't bother looking for legs. But they are bugs, no question. I am going nuts here, have never been plagued with so many different kinds of bugs at once. This used to be a nice apartment but I'm getting out.

10. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 7:01:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you always see their legs and dots for eyes no matter how young or small they are?

To the naked (and untrained) eye that's not so easy to see in 1st instar nymphs. You need a black background and a good light to see their legs and eyes.
    hk

I can just see that they are bugs with the "zoom in" part of my magnifying glass. They are so tiny I doubt I could ever see their eyes and I don't bother looking for legs. But they are bugs, no question.

Yeah, they're bugs, but not young bedbug nymphs. Too small. I guess they could be mites, or springtails (collembola).

I am going nuts here, have never been plagued with so many different kinds of bugs at once. This used to be a nice apartment but I'm getting out.

In every home there are at least 20-30 different arthropod's species. And it's spring...

11. Buggybumpers

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 9:37:29
    #

Login to Send PM

I wouldn't mind so much but, as I always just find them on my bed, I know they are on ME! And they seem to like my hair. Do you think a product like Nix would kill mites? I know it isn't a case of head lice because I know what their larvae look like. I'll have to look up springtails.

12. Buggybumpers

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 9:43:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Nope, I don't think this one is a springtail. I have viewed images of those and they seem to have lengthy antenae that I don't notice on my tiny bugs. Or are the long things the tail? Well, at least I'll know a springtail if I see one in the future.

13. Sleepless in NYC

Posted 7 years ago
    Wed May 4 2011 14:16:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Effeci

Kh

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172