Help IDing Bug [a: not bed bug; possible stink bug parts]

(5 posts)
  1. Brew dude

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 14:43:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I found this dead bug (or bug cast?) near our shower in the master bath. No other signs of a possible infestation. I know that we periodically have carpet beetles, but this doesn't quite look like one to me. The legs that were on it fell off when I moved it. It does appear to almost have wings, so I'm hoping that means it's not a bed bug.

We live in a SFH in SoCal and not an apartment, but I was in SF a few weeks ago (checked the hotel room and there were no signs, and no bites that I know of).

Can any experts please weigh in on what this is?

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 14:48:59
    #

Login to Send PM

It's only part of an insect - abdominal section, most of thorax, looks like hind wings. No legs. No head. Looks like what's left of a stink bug and could be a brown marmorated stink bug remains.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. Brew dude

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 15:06:52
    #

Login to Send PM

It's definitely smaller than the stink bugs we had back east. Definitely could be a smaller one. I googled the stink bug you mentioned. That could be it but it definitely looks different to my untrained eye.

Thank you for your response.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 15:36:08
    #

Login to Send PM

The markings on the outer edge of the abdominal sclerites look like that kind of bug, but it could be another species, too. I really can't tell from the parts at hand.

5. Brew dude

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Aug 29 2015 15:58:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Understood. Thank you again. You think that it's probably not a bedbug at least?

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,692 posts in 50,016 topics over 155 months by 21,870 of 22,352 members. Latest: paintersmelbourne, Mercy Me, mrdinosaur