Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Help identifying please! (very detailed)

(13 posts)
  1. sarah_22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 14:19:08
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello experts! I have noticed a few bumps on me lately and I was hoping you all could help identify. They don't look like any of the bedbug bite pictures that I have seen, but I know there are a lot of variables that could cause them to look different. Here are the facts…

I am very pale and went out in the sun a lot this past week. I got sunburned on my thighs and my stomach, and my arms were exposed too.
    The bumps are not itchy.
    The bumps are tiny like a pinhead, and raised. They are somewhat shiny.
    The bumps are slightly pink. The area around them is NOT red.
    I was poking at one of them and it popped - it seemed to be filled with a clear fluid, like a tiny blister. When I poke them too much (bad, I know), blood seems to gather at the surface.
    They are spread out on different areas of my body. There are very few on my arms, maybe one or two. I have one or two on my chest, six or seven on my stomach, two or three on my back, and the biggest concentration of them seems to be on my legs (maybe 10 or more).
    I don't see puncture holes in the bumps, but they are very small so it's possible I'm just missing them.
    I woke up VERY hot and sweaty the other night (possible heat bumps or something?)
    I checked my bed/mattress as best I could and found no signs of the bugs, but unfortunately I can't look for smears because my sheets are black.
    The bumps aren't clustered, they all seem to be pretty well spread out.

Okay, longest post ever. But I was wondering what you guys thought based on this description? Like many people in this forum, I'm very paranoid and would just like to get some opinions from a non-freaked-out person! I've been doing some research and it seems like it's probably just some kind of sweat/skin irritation from the sunburn and/or dead skin trapping sweat.

Any help you can provide would be much appreciated!!

2. Saturn

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 14:29:20
    #

Login to Send PM

First off, I'll say that it's pretty much impossible to identify whether a particular bump is a bed bug bite or not. However, the one common feature of most bed bug bites is itching/swelling. A bed bug bite is an allergic reaction to the anticoagulant that the bed bug injects into the bite site, and like most allergic reactions, they itch. Your bites don't really sound like that. Most likely something else, as you described.

3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 15:19:54
    #

Login to Send PM

You can't diagnose bed bugs from skin reactions. Not even a dermatologist can do this.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. sarah_22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 17:46:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the input, both of you! I realize that I can't get a definitive answer from posting on a forum, but I was just looking for some further opinions on the situation.

It seems unlikely to me that a bedbug bite would fill with the fluid (sweat?). After some further research I think that it might be a mild case of miliaria. I guess the best solution is to just be brave and keep sleeping in my bed and see if anything else comes up?

But still, any further insight would be appreciated (besides people telling me that there's no way of knowing for sure).

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 18:52:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Sarah, please read our FAQ to get a decent overview of "Bed Bugs 101". As you're now aware and concerned, you're ahead of the game. Learn to monitor and inspect your environment and what interventions might be necessary if you discover a problem.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  6. thecitymusthelp

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 18:59:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Could it be sun poisioning? My sister is very fair with freckles and when she is in the sun too long she gets bumps similar to what you are describing (water that pops out if you poke them) Just a thought? Could be so many things but this sounded similar to what my sis gets.

7. NJ-BITES

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 19:13:14
    #

Login to Send PM

sarah_22 - 4 hours ago  » 
    I got sunburned on my thighs and my stomach, and my arms were exposed too.
    The bumps are not itchy.
    The bumps are tiny like a pinhead, and raised. They are somewhat shiny.
    like a tiny blister.

Hi Sarah

I can't say that my bites ozzed like a blister.

But they itch so bad! They hurt for days.
    I have some scars now.

I have had sun poison that acted as you described.
    I also had poison IVY that did the same.

I have seen dangerous small pox that looked the same.
    (heat flashes and night sweats.)

I am not a professional by any means.

I can only say. ~Go To A Professional~
    And get it looked at

Peace

8. sarah_22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 21:21:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the reassurance you guys - I figured it was something to do with the sun, and even though I still don't know definitively, it's good to know that my symptoms sound similar to some things that you have experienced before.

I was thinking about it, and was just curious (unrelated to me)... if you react to the bite of other insects does that mean you will react to bedbugs, too? Or are they completely different?

9. NJ-BITES

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 21:36:46
    #

Login to Send PM

sarah_22 - 1 minute ago  » 
    if you react to the bite of other insects does that mean you will react to bedbugs, too?
    Or are they completely different?

It's really great to see you here looking for education.

?What kind of reactions are you asking about?

10. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 21:37:46
    #

Login to Send PM

> I was thinking about it, and was just curious (unrelated to me)... if you react to the bite of other insects does that mean you will react to bedbugs, too? Or are they completely different?

This is beyond my expertise, but there would probably be a difference between your reaction to blood feeders (like BB or mosquitoes) which inject you with substances to help thin your blood (so they can suck it up) and to suppress pain (so you don't notice and kill them). OTOH, stinging insects' purpose is to inflict pain in order to repel an attacker, so the response may be different. If you don't get a good response, send a PM to one of the entomologists on the board (loubugs, Winston O Buggy, Jeff White BBCentralTV).

11. sarah_22

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Mon Aug 1 2011 21:38:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Haha...

I guess itching or swelling around the bite, mostly. Redness, too.

12. pinkthumbnail

newbite

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Feb 2 2013 16:06:37
    #

Login to Send PM

The blisters sound like sunburn blisters, and being badly sunburnt can cause hot flashes, which can then result in a heat rash - sounds like you just got too much sun (This same exact thing happened to me over the summer!)

13. EffeCi

oldtimer

Posted 6 years ago
    Sat Feb 2 2013 17:36:47
    #

Login to Send PM

I react to mosquito bites, but not to BBs ones...

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,691 posts in 49,781 topics over 154 months by 21,790 of 22,255 members. Latest: bedbugsonthebrain, Worried-bedbugger, Smacker82