Help identifying a bug

(6 posts)
  1. CrazyinNYC

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon May 14 2018 22:37:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I first found a dead bed bug cast skin on my bed at the end of January and have since been living in a nightmare. I immediately notified my management company (I live in a studio apt in NYC) and they sent the buildings exterminators to spray. I was told to dry all of my clothes and put them in plastic bags (where they have remained for the last 3 1/2 months). They did three treatments within the first month and a half. I am one of the "lucky" people who react to the bites and after three treatments was still getting bit. The exterminators then told me that I must be getting bit by something else and said to go see a dermatologist. Annoyed that they weren't taking me seriously I asked my mgmt co. to call another company who has now sprayed another 5 times over the course of 2-2 1/2 months. While cleaning a couple nights ago I found what looks like a dead bed bug, when I asked the exterminator he told me its the skin of a beetle. It really looks like a bed bug to me and I just need some confirmation.
    At this point I am thinking of hiring a lawyer and trying to get out of my lease which is a whole other problem to deal with. If someone could take a look and tell me if they think it could be a bed bug that would be greatly appreciated. Also if you have any recommendations on what I should do next as far as treatment/management. I already have climb-up interceptors, mattress encasements...etc. Nothing seems to stop me from getting bites. I am thinking of asking my mgmt co to do a heat treatment but not sure if that will solve the problem either. Thoughts????

https://www.flickr.com/gp/161713312@N02/q3hPNP

please let me know if you are able to view this photo...first time with flickr

2. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 5:59:55
    #

Login to Send PM

There should be more evidence if you are getting so many bites. The picture isn't quite clear but looks slightly like a bed bug. There are no monitors out?

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  3. CrazyinNYC

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 7:56:23
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    There should be more evidence if you are getting so many bites. The picture isn't quite clear but looks slightly like a bed bug. There are no monitors out?

I have climb up interceptors, sensci activ bed bug lure and mattress encasements but haven't caught anything live myself. I had one exterminator who inspected my apt with my landlord who found a live bed bug in my headboard post. I wasn't home but my landlord said he saw it. Here are more pics of bugs I have found around my apt. Please let me know what you think.

https://flic.kr/p/265TLmE
    this was the first thing I ever found on my bed

https://flic.kr/p/265TsRE
    found behind a dresser

https://flic.kr/p/265Tp2W
    on my headboard

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 9:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Bed bug abdomen, female.
    Beetle, most of body, probably carpet beetle
    Bed bug shed skin, nymph

5. CrazyinNYC

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 9:24:15
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 minute ago  » 
    Bed bug abdomen, female.
    Bed bug shed skin, nymph

They treated my apt again yesterday and I woke up with a couple new bites. Do you think it could be some other kind of bug? Just seems so odd to get fresh bites the day after a spray. They said they treated for both bed bugs and fleas. Do you think its worth doing a heat treatment?

6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 1 week ago
    Tue May 15 2018 16:33:45
    #

Login to Send PM

CrazyinNYC - 7 hours ago  » 

loubugs - 1 minute ago  » 
    Bed bug abdomen, female.
    Bed bug shed skin, nymph

They treated my apt again yesterday and I woke up with a couple new bites. Do you think it could be some other kind of bug? Just seems so odd to get fresh bites the day after a spray. They said they treated for both bed bugs and fleas. Do you think its worth doing a heat treatment?

What was sprayed and do you know how and where applied? Could be useful chemicals, just not sprayed in right places.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

273,694 posts in 44,823 topics over 137 months by 19,675 of 20,380 members. Latest: fish77, Chevycolt15, bedbugbugs