Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Help identify photos!

(13 posts)
  1. snoopy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 10:26:53
    #

Login to Send PM

http://www.flickr.com/photos/54671049@N06/

Do these bites look like bed bug bites? I have looked everywhere and couldn't find any bugs except these little bugs I took a picture of. They don't look like bed bugs to me (not that I would really know). Please help!

2. LVK9

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 10:42:48
    #

Login to Send PM

Carpet beetle larvae

3. snoopy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 11:19:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the carpet beetle larvae identification LVK9. Well, the carpet beetles are definitely not causing the bites/rash on my stomach and back then. Does my back/abdomen look like it has been the victim of bug bites that I can't find? I'm 5 months pregnant, so it is especially worrying.

4. LVK9

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 11:39:19
    #

Login to Send PM

snoopy, carpet beetle larvae have been known to cause bite like reactions on some people. If you look at your photo you can see the fine hairs on the larvae. It is the fine hairs that can cause bite like reactions when the cast skin is left behind.
    How long has this been going on?(skin reactions)

5. snoopy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 13:19:28
    #

Login to Send PM

I first noticed the marks last Saturday (6 days ago). At first I wasn't sure if the marks were getting worse, but now I am sure. It's almost like the red dots start small and then get progressively bigger. My husband sleeps in the same bed and has no marks at all. Marks are only on my stomach and back. Thanks.

6. LVK9

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 14:42:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Snoopy, since you know you have a pest that is known to be able to cause bite like reactions I suggest you first remove them from you home. Once this is done you can monitor to see if your skin irritations go away.
    If it does turn out to be bed bugs every time they feed they also leave evidence behind. Bed bugs for the most part do a good job of hiding themselves, but not such a good job of hiding their evidence.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 15:01:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Beetle larvae have those hairs which can embed in the skin causing a reaction.

See this article on urticating hairs. There is specific data for tarantula hairs since they actively use them for defense. Beetle larvae and caterpillars can have them but their action is passive.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Urticating_hair

An article on urticaria in general.

http://www.aad.org/public/publications/pamphlets/skin_urticaria.html

8. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 16:02:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

As others have said the samples are carpet beetles which can cause an urticria reaction.

However in this case I am 90% certain that the pictures are of an allergic type reaction which may also be caused by a dust mites. Given the locations on the body and the spread you report I strongly suspect this is dust mite related.

Hope that helps clear up what is causing it.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

I am happy to answer questions in public but will not reply to message sent directly or via my company / social media. I am here to help everyone and not just one case at a time.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about pro
  9. soooconfused

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 16:05:38
    #

Login to Send PM

You mentioned that you are 5 months pregnant. You may also want to check with your obstetrician. I have heard of others having a "baby rash", though I don't know much about it. It's worth a visit to the OB. Good luck to you.

10. KillerQueen

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 16:08:14
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't think this is bed bug, beetle larva, or mite related. I have seen this type of reaction many times on people and while im not a doctor, I suggest you go see one.

Good Luck1

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Dec 24 2010 20:09:47
    #

Login to Send PM

The urticating hairs of tarantulas are not similar to the hairs of dermestid beetles. They are all very different morphologies: the dermestid setae are tipped with an enlarged, pointed head. The tarantula urticating hairs are connected to a basal shaft in the skin and the point of connection breaks easily when the spider kicks at the patch with its hind legs. Regarding hairs of caterpillars, certain ones are hollow and possess a type of venom. There is no venom associated with tarantula urticating hairs. BTW, the legend for the picture of a Mexican red knee tarantula with a bald spot on the abdomen in the Wikipedia article is not quite correct. The hairs do not grow in after molting, but have already developed and are in the new skin now visible when the old one is shed. The spider sheds the old skin in one piece. Sometimes tarantula molting takes a short time and sometimes it takes hours.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. snoopy

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 28 2010 9:15:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Well, I saw my primary care doctor yesterday and despite it being the longest doctor's visit of my life (38 minutes of the doctor's time plus a nurse drawing blood afterward), he was stumped. He didn't seem to think it was carpet beetles, grapefruit (the only thing that had changed in my diet), or anything else like that. He considered lyme disease because I had a tick bite 6 months ago, though I should have had arthritis pains in that case, and I don't. He thought of rubella, but then I should have also had other symptoms that I don't have. He asked if I had been in contact with strange metals. He checked my lymph nodes and they are fine. The 5 month fetus I'm carrying is fine too. In the end, I ended up with a referral to a dermatologist and of course the next available appointment at the dermatologist office isn't until Jan 6. So who knows what's wrong with me. The marks on me are basically unchanged from Friday (the day I took the pictures that are posted above), except that some of the spots have gotten larger./expanded It seems that the existing spots are slowly growing day by day, but that new spots are not forming. I've definitely ruled out bed bugs because the entire area in and around the bed is clear (and has been clear the entire 10 days I've had this) of anything even close to resembling bed bug leftovers. Thanks to everyone who has given advice.

13. paulaw0919

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Tue Dec 28 2010 10:49:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Just my 2 cents for what it's worth. Hoping it may calm your nerves. I am a mom of a 6yr old and 4yr old twins. When I was about 4-5 months pregnant with my twins I broke out in a rash on my inner thigh that looked very much like your rash. I called my OB and they dismissed it as a pregnancy rash. What started out in one/two spots on my leg, in a few weeks grew to cover about 3/4 of my upper leg. Was very itchy and actually painful. Finally they gave me a script for some cream and some meds to take. (I think they were trying to aviod that because I was pregnant) But after taking the meds/cream it cleared totally in a few days. (Sorry I don't remember what they gave me.)

Point is, the body does some "funky" things when you're pregnant. I never knew the cause of what happened, but it just did. I think what you have is some sort of rash because your body's chemistry is changing being pregnant. Hopefully this will calm your nerves in thinking "bed bugs" and hopefully the dermotologist can diagnose and/or prescribe something for you. Maybe try googling "pregancy rash" and "PUPPP"

Best wishes to you and your little one on the way.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,827 posts in 49,817 topics over 154 months by 21,804 of 22,271 members. Latest: wish2bbbfree, pedwards, Mawa316