Help! Id needed for two bed bugs!!! [a: two adult female bed bugs]

(15 posts)
  1. ProBugAbuse

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 1:31:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I found these two bed bugs under two different pillows on top of my bed.. please tell me they are both the same gender

2. Bugginout90

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 11:41:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Were they already dead?

3. BugaMeBugaYou

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 12:45:50
    #

Login to Send PM

I think the one on the left has a pointy-er bum then the one of the right by a little bit but I have no idea what that means. Someone else will come along I'm sure, but they DON'T look the same to me, but that could be due to so many things, inexperience on my part, camera angle, what stage of fed the bugs were at, anything... so in short, don't listen to me and wait for an expert lol

((Big Hugs)) though. No fun finding these guys ever...

I am a certified Herbalist, Aromatherapist, and Reiki Master Practitioner who is working toward a PhD in Natural Medicine but above all that I'm just a Mom obsessed with learning about Bed Bugs. Here to comfort and support some of the lost, panicked, and frantic until expert help can arrive.
  4. jim danca

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 13:20:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Adult females have a rounder, more symmetrical bottom. It's easier to determine the sex if the bug hasn't recently fed.

PCO and inventor of a bio active bedbug trap
  5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 14:04:37
    #

Login to Send PM

BugaMeBugaYou - 1 hour ago  » 
    I think the one on the left has a pointy-er bum then the one of the right by a little bit but I have no idea what that means. Someone else will come along I'm sure, but they DON'T look the same to me, but that could be due to so many things, inexperience on my part, camera angle, what stage of fed the bugs were at, anything... so in short, don't listen to me and wait for an expert lol

They're the same. Left one isn't pointier. The male abdomen is not exactly pointier - it is not symmetrical at the tip because his genitalia has one side modified and the other is missing. Take a look at these bed bugs: 2 females, 1 male. All fed, but one female fed more than other so its abdomen is more elongate.
    2+1 cimex by louento.pix, on Flickr

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  6. ProBugAbuse

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 16:08:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Bugginout90 - 4 hours ago  » 
    Were they already dead?

I found them both alive

7. ProBugAbuse

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 16:12:00
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 2 hours ago  » 

BugaMeBugaYou - 1 hour ago  » 

They're the same. Left one isn't pointier. The male abdomen is not exactly pointier - it is not symmetrical at the tip because his genitalia has one side modified and the other is missing. Take a look at these bed bugs: 2 females, 1 male. All fed, but one female fed more than other so its abdomen is more elongate.
    2+1 cimex by louento.pix, on Flickr

So both are male and I can rest easier?

I'm on my third professional spray treatment which seemed to have eliminated them from the floor or walls. I found a hole in my mattress protector, since patched up and I'm hoping these are just a pair of same sex escapees

8. ProBugAbuse

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 17:35:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your input! Hopefully those were the last two stragglers who escaped a ripped (now patched back up) mattress cover

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 19:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

ProBugAbuse - 1 hour ago  » 
    Thank you all for your input! Hopefully those were the last two stragglers who escaped a ripped (now patched back up) mattress cover

Did it rip from the frame? The metal frame should be taped over with duct tape to cover up any sharp edges.

10. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jan 18 2016 19:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

ProBugAbuse - 3 hours ago  » 

I am a little confused about this too, Lou. Are you saying these are two adult males or two adult females?

Thanks!

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  11. ProBugAbuse

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jan 19 2016 21:59:26
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 1 day ago  » 

ProBugAbuse - 1 hour ago  » 

Did it rip from the frame? The metal frame should be taped over with duct tape to cover up any sharp edges.

Indeed it did. Pest control here is none to cautious, leaving my box spring zippers open on the first treatment (which I discovered early, zipped back up and put an obscene amount of ductape on) and now ripping my box spring cover on their third visit. I have ductaped the shit out of everything so I'm hoping I'm in the clear, or I will be able yo eliminate stragglers

12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 20 2016 1:25:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 1 day ago  » 

I am a little confused about this too, Lou. Are you saying these are two adult males or two adult females?
    Thanks!

They are not both males - the abdominal tip is not that of a male. That's why I wondered if they could be turned over to see the dorsal view. It looks like a ventral abdominal cleft on the right side of the abdomen is present and wanted to be sure to see if the front wing pads are visible. It looks like there is a mid-dorsal abdominal membrane present. So these characters point to adult females.

13. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 20 2016 1:25:18
    #

Login to Send PM

ProBugAbuse: So both are male and I can rest easier?

I'm on my third professional spray treatment which seemed to have eliminated them from the floor or walls. I found a hole in my mattress protector, since patched up and I'm hoping these are just a pair of same sex escapees

Sorry, no. Both are same sex as I noted above in previous answer. I thought reference to my pictures would help.

14. ProBugAbuse

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 20 2016 1:34:58
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 8 minutes ago  » 

Nobugsonme - 1 day ago  » 

Thanks!

They are not both males - the abdominal tip is not that of a male. That's why I wondered if they could be turned over to see the dorsal view. It looks like a ventral abdominal cleft on the right side of the abdomen is present and wanted to be sure to see if the front wing pads are visible. It looks like there is a mid-dorsal abdominal membrane present. So these characters point to adult females.

They are both stuck to carpet tape, the one on the right is still alive ?, I could perhaps try to pull the one on the left off of the tape for better id

15. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jan 20 2016 1:43:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, Lou!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,940 posts in 49,855 topics over 154 months by 21,816 of 22,282 members. Latest: bobtheworry, Whiskeygirl, bbquest19