Help ID bugs - finally got pics

(17 posts)
  1. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 11:54:12
    #

Login to Send PM

This forum has been great. I am however dealing with a problem that seemed to come out of the blue. I was cleaning and one box had what looked like a termite or so in it and I wrapped it up and threw it away. I have a pic I'll upload later. I'm wiped out now dealing with this.

But after I cleaned that out I noticed I might have bites on me the next day. Didn't think much about it, and then I started itching later at night and feeling pin prick type jabs, mainly on my ankles and legs, but sometimes elsewhere too. I couldn't find anything at all to catch, but finally I caught something.

The first is black droppings it looks like, but fairly large, smaller ones were around too, mainly in closet but other areas too. First bug was on couch (felt pin pricks), and second one in the bed. I have to work early mornings here so that is when I feel the bites. uugh. The last (ironically I thought might be a few dropped rice pieces from food) but then looking again they are strange. Any confirmation on what these are (already dreading it) would be appreciated. Thanks

What Bugs are these?

2. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 12:41:54
    #

Login to Send PM

do those insects have wings? they sort of look like a moth kinda thingies.

One of our experts will chime in, i'm sure...

3. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 13:05:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Some carpet beetle larvae skins and the rest isn't BB related.

Jim

4. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 21:21:09
    #

Login to Send PM

spideyjg - 8 hours ago  » 
    Some carpet beetle larvae skins and the rest isn't BB related.
    Jim

Thanks for the responses.

If this is carpet beetles would they be making me feel like my ankles and legs are continuously getting bit in the early morning? It feels like quick pin like bites, but there are no signs of any bites. It goes on for a few minutes then stops and then starts over. And it happens when in the bed, it feels like somethings on me, and especially on the chair or couch. Then stops around 7am.

And none of this was happening before I did a big cleaning, we did have a lot of dust under bed etc.

5. bushbugg

Posted 9 years ago
    Sat Jul 10 2010 21:53:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, carpet beetles hairs cause a rash if you are allergic; I have the same things at my place.

I would get a bb compatible vaccuum (just in case) and maybe do some spraying.

Wash and dry for a long time your sheets and comforter, maybe think of getting a cloth single layer blanket for summer.

I dont know what the 'droppings' picture is, but it looks Nothing like my bed bug droppings.

6. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 4:44:35
    #

Login to Send PM

bushbugg - 6 hours ago  » 
    Yes, carpet beetles hairs cause a rash if you are allergic; I have the same things at my place.

I dont know what the 'droppings' picture is, but it looks Nothing like my bed bug droppings.

Thanks for this information, it makes sense as maybe it has tracked around (socks, etc).

But Yikes! Now I found this in a most obvious spot that was overlooked. This was under the area rug in front of (and somewhat under) the chair. It was a solid like substance a bit stuck to the floor, I wiped it up and washed the area plus vacuumed. Th other areas under the rug were not like this. There is another area to the side that almost looks like bug stuff in the dark area.

Also the first picture is of a felt protector for the leg of the chair. You can see a dark spot that I couldn't make out what it was or if it is anything. The others didn't seem to have anything suspicious.

Any idea what problem I now have? Thanks!!

New Bug Nest Or What?

7. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 4:50:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for this information, it makes sense as maybe it has tracked around (socks, etc).

But Yikes! Now I found this in a most obvious spot (2nd and 3rd picture) that was overlooked. This was under the area rug in front of (and somewhat under) the chair. It was a solid like substance a bit stuck to the floor, I wiped it up and washed the area plus vacuumed. The other areas under the rug were not like this. There is another area to the side that almost looks like bug stuff in the dark area.

Also the first picture is of a felt protector for the leg of the chair. You can see a dark spot that I couldn't make out what it was or if it is anything. The other protectors didn't seem to have anything suspicious.

Any idea what problem I now have? Thanks!!

New Bug Nest Or What?

8. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 8:57:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Just got this and felt some biting this morning and this is the area where the rug had that stuff underneath it. Not sure what it is. These are now images 1-2 (Bug 3)

Size: 3mm - length

(I tried to edit my prior post so I didn't jump ahead, but it wouldn't let me)

Added new Bug that might have been biting me.

9. upagain

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 12:32:00
    #

Login to Send PM

First pic look like a carpet beetle larva again to me. Don't know what the second pic could be.

10. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 20:08:37
    #

Login to Send PM

upagain - 7 hours ago  » 
    First pic look like a carpet beetle larva again to me. Don't know what the second pic could be.

I really hope that is all we have. The dark stuff under the rug is strange. I thought maybe it was a nest or bed bug congregating area.

The allergic reaction to carpet beetles makes sense, but I am not sure why it still feels like I am getting pin prick type bites from 3am - 7am? It's on and off and on different parts of the body. In the bedroom it seems to start about 5-10 minutes after I lie down and the feeling is mainly on my back (which I am lying on) and my legs. In the living room mainly ankles, especially around that dirt spot under the rug.

While it is possible I am imagining this, I am not sure why I wouldn't imagine it during the day also. The sheets and bed were hot washed and dried too. I really appreciate all the help I have received so far!

11. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Sun Jul 11 2010 20:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cens...

if you have carpet beetle larvae and the hairs are on your linens, then i don't think washing and drying is going to help much...certainly if there are still hairs on your linen after washing, drying won't help at all because the hairs could still remain and still cause you to have a skin reaction when you put them on the bed again and then crawl in. The next time you're ready to take the sheets off your bed for laundering, could you pull them as tight as possible and then give them a good vacumming to get the larvae hairs off? Maybe that might work. Maybe it's a little crazy but i would try it.

i've got larva hairs on my sofa, cushions and sofa pillows and i'm just going to have to vacuum them to death.

good luck

12. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 3:01:06
    #

Login to Send PM

DeedleBeetle - 6 hours ago  » 
    Hi Cens...
    if you have carpet beetle larvae and the hairs are on your linens, then i don't think washing and drying is going to help much...

i've got larva hairs on my sofa, cushions and sofa pillows and i'm just going to have to vacuum them to death.
    good luck

Thanks DeedleBeetle. I will try this and good luck with your situation!

Update! I found a live bug scampering around the side bed table. I caught it with tape and uploaded the pics. There are close ups too, and you can click on each one to zoom in further I think. These are at a new link.

I have seen so many pictures of bugs recently I don't know what to think anymore, but hopefully someone can ID this one? Thanks for everyones patience. I don't have a whole lot anymore so yours is really appreciated!

New Update! Scampering bug caught live - ID help please?

13. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 3:05:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks DeedleBeetle. I will try this and good luck with your situation!

Update! I found a live bug scampering around the side bed table. I caught it with tape and uploaded the pics. There are close ups too, and you can click on each one to zoom in further I think. These are at a new link below.

I have seen so many pictures of bugs recently I don't know what to think anymore, but hopefully someone can ID this one? Thanks for everyones patience. I don't have a whole lot anymore so yours is really appreciated!

New Bug! Caught live scampering - ID help please?

14. Jacksfullofaces

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 3:39:01
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cens
    I don't know what that insect is but it doesn't look like a bedbug.
    Jacks

15. Cens

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 11:11:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Jacksfullofaces - I hope it is not. But would really like to know what it is since I still get a biting feeling at night.

16. DeedleBeetle

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Jul 12 2010 12:59:31
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cens..

post these photographs again as a new thread and make sure your subject line asks for identificaiton of insect or bug. Then LouBugs or one of our other experts will know you need them to weigh in.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Jul 13 2010 2:57:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Cens!

Sorry your 2 posts went into the spam filter. They're out now. (Everyone please scroll up.)

Also, Cens, please read this for future reference! Thanks.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991