Help ID a bug found this morning [a: female earwig]

(4 posts)
  1. Chode

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2015 17:55:59
    #

Login to Send PM

My first attempt at posting didn't work so here goes round 2....

I initially got word from my landlord that the unit next door was being treated for bed bugs and that my electrical outlets would have to be treated as a precaution.

2 weeks later my wife complained of having a bite on her leg so we looked under the mattress and found a big dead bug we believe to be a bed bug based on the comparison to pics posted on this site.

The only things throwing us off are the pointy tail end that other bed bugs don't seem to have. And the general size of the bug we found seems to be a lot bigger than the 5-6mm being quoted as the full adult size. Most comparisons to a penny make bed bugs look tiny, I'd say this bug we found is about the same size as a penny.

Hope these pics work, and I'm looking g forward to your responses and expert IDs. Thanks in advance.

[img]http:// [/img]

2. misery

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2015 22:35:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not a pro, but that resembles an earwig and definitely isn't a BB.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  3. Chode

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Nov 12 2015 23:57:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you for the reply. After a ton of research all day long I actually came to that exact same conclusion! It has the tweezers at the end and everything.
    Its just a pretty weird string of coincidences to happen all at once. First the neighbours are being treated for bed bugs, then my wife is bitten and we find a bug under the mattress.
    Turns out it's an earwig, still gross but I feel a lot better about going to sleep in my bed tonight. We have our first treatment tomorrow so it can't hurt to have it done regardless.

4. loubugs

old timer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Nov 13 2015 4:51:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Female earwig

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,845 posts in 50,049 topics over 155 months by 21,878 of 22,364 members. Latest: Datnguyen, Mariam, GoingBananas