(4 posts)
  1. Freakdout9985

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon Oct 16 2017 20:46:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Help! I had a friend from another state visiting, he flew from
    Georgia to NJ - he said he suspected that one bed in his home has bed bugs, I freaked out and he was asked to leave. He spent one night at my home and he had one gym bag with his clothes in it. We have a very large home he stayed in the guestroom while sleeping, he also put his bag down in our dining room and he chatted on our couch I went out the next day and I bought hot shot bedbug killer with egg killer, as well as numerous bottles of diatomaceous earth powder. First we obsessively cleaned everything, vacuuming mopping, sanitizing all the rooms except one, then we Applied the diatomaceous earth powder underneath the carpet's as well as underneath the bed mattresses and we sprayed the egg killer in the bed that he slept in as well as on the carpet and all over the couch and the couch cushions every carpet in the home has diatomaceous earth on it and under it the powder has also drifted into the wood cracks in our wood floors, we also vacuumed the carpets on the top where the diatomaceous earth was put because there was so much of it. We are continually washing all clothes and blankets and hot water and drying out on a very high heat. I have not physically seen any bugs whatsoever just taking precautions and we are wondering if we need to do all of our clothes out of our closets and do something with them or if they should be ok? Please let us know your opinion!

2. CatherineM

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 17 2017 5:32:10
    #

Login to Send PM

As a first step clean your bedding, linens, curtains, rugs, in short everything. Scrub your mattress seams and exterminate bed bugs along with their eggs before the situation goes out of your hands. The second thing you can do is get right encasements for your beds. And one other thing, scientifically proven encasements can prevent future re-infestation of beds on early detection. Always remember that mattress encasements are more effective than impregnated mattress covers. Latter cannot prevent hungry bed bugs from feeding on the person sleeping. I remember those dreaded days when my toddler used to wake up in the wee hours with bed bugs bites swelling and rashes. I then bought bedroom furniture and encasements from Surplus Furnitures, a Canadian warehouse. Try getting encasements at the earliest and get back your sweet sound sleep. Also refer
    http://www.scientificamerican.com/article/what-are-bedbugs/
    http://www.surplusfurniture.com/blog/mattress-protector-vs-encasement/http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/bedbugs.html
    http://kidshealth.org/en/teens/bedbugs.html

3. MayDay

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue Oct 17 2017 7:11:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert but I would say to start with monitors. You do not know if you have them so spending big money and energy now is exhausting and possibly unnecessary. There are active monitors (if you are not there as "bate" examples are the carbon dioxide and heat traps) and passive (if you are there examples are the climbups and monitors). This site has more info in the FAQs and Bed Bug Supply has an amazing blog and products.

Best of luck to you.

4. Mizlizkitty

newbite

Posted 1 year ago
    Wed Oct 18 2017 14:11:57
    #

Login to Send PM

My parents came over many times infested and I understand your fear. Being vigilant is the BEST thing you can do right now in addition to your triage measures. Getting monitors is a good idea!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,797 posts in 49,805 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991