Help. Exterminator coming (nyc) and i'm confused

(6 posts)
  1. annore

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Mon Aug 2 2010 21:38:28
    #

Login to Send PM

They never told me what to do with shoes.... ?

Or paper, or books. HELP. thanks

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 3 2010 5:50:04
    #

Login to Send PM

Welcome, Annore. Has the PCO instructed you regarding anything? Some PCOs just spray with no prep expected. Some want the environment undisturbed so that they can inspect. For the PCOs who have you prep, some want you to bag all papers and shoes, etc., and store or packtite. Others just want you to gather your clutter and get it out of their way. Example; they might want you emptying the nightstand (and bagging the contents during treatment) so that they can flip it over for treatment. After treatment, some expect you to packtite, store or DDVP the bags. Others expect you to open the bags, so any bugs inside come out to feed and die. Also, PCOs differ on how wide an area needs to be prepped.

If at all possible, please try and confirm with your PCO. If not, do what you were told (if you were told nothing, do nothing) and deal with it when the PCO tells you.

Note: This is just my thinking about "process". I'm not a PCO and have little BB expertise.

Going forward, arm yourself by reading one of the practice guides on the Resource page (like the concise U of Minn) or the comprehensive State of Michigan guide). And hit us with your questions.

Best of luck.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. annore

newbite

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 3 2010 6:07:35
    #

Login to Send PM

The gave me a list but it's not thorough. They did not mention what i should do with

shoes
    books
    papers
    bottles (soap/shampoo, etc)
    lamps

I want to do this right so if any one (esp in a nyc apartment) has done this, let me know. and thanks!

4. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 3 2010 6:42:56
    #

Login to Send PM

When is the PCO coming? Do you have time to ask?

If I did not know better:

- Be ready to empty drawers, if asked, have a place for the stuff.
    - Remove lamps from nightstand, so they're not knocked over.
    - Have papers organized, seal only if instructed.
    - Be ready to get bottles, shoes, books out of workers' way but don't seal them up unless instructed.

Again, this is based on what I've seen others discuss on the boards.

5. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 3 2010 6:44:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Whatever you do, do not move unsealed items from room to room.

6. PANewBugger

Posted 9 years ago
    Tue Aug 3 2010 9:10:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Can you call them to ask??

Our PCO came over to our place to do a walk through several days before treatment started. For us, we were told to bag and seal our shoes b/c they were in the bedroom closet, which they would need to get into for treatment. All of our paperwork was in a room that we rarely spend time in, and he said that for us, it wouldn't be necessary to do anything with them for treatment. We removed lamps on tables since they sprayed the furniture and had to move them around, and we removed wall hangings since we were told that the bed bugs can hide there. Our PCO doesn't put the chemicals in the bathrooms and kitchen so we didn't need to do anything in those rooms.

Anyway, hope this helps, but like I mentioned, our PCO came over and after going through each room, told us exactly what to do. Also, he gave us a check list to follow. You want to get your place prepared properly so that they have complete access for treatment. Calling them to verify would be in your best interest.

Good luck!!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,818 posts in 49,813 topics over 154 months by 21,802 of 22,268 members. Latest: MrBedbug, Pioneer47, laurabedbugs