(12 posts)
  1. monicaa

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 19:03:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, everyone! I'm glad to have found this site and hope someone can help:

From roughly August 2016-June 2017, my boyfriend and I suffered from a bed bug infestation. I was very sensitive to the bites and was itchy during this entire time but, unfortunately, we didn't realize we had them (i.e. didn't recognize the bugs at first, didn't know about the blood stains being a thing, etc) until April ish. Finally, we called a reputable bed bug exterminating company, they did 2 thorough treatments, and yay! My itchiness went away and we've been fine....however....

A few days ago, my boyfriend noticed one live bed bug (in the same room that was treated, we live in a basement level studio). Since the prior infestation allowed us to now know what to look for, we then looked thoroughly and have found NO other evidence at this time of any additional bugs, eggs, etc. We also couldn't find any stains, plus I don't have any bites on me.

Basically, is one beg ever just one bug? Obviously, we'd really hate to go through having treatments again (not to mention spending the $$, and I'm paranoid about the bites returning). Is there anything/anywhere we can check that we might have missed?

Thank you!

2. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 19:15:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi! Did you have a chemical treatment or a heat treatment? We are currently undergoing chemical treatment and have been told from our PCO that since bed bugs are such good hiders, it is possible to see a bug or two a while after you think you've got them beat, simply because they can live so long without feeding. We are getting treatment for an entire year because of this. Not sure what your case is but I would begin monitoring closely for any additional signs.

3. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 21:07:07
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you get treatment for a whole year?? I want that!!

4. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Thu Sep 14 2017 21:19:48
    #

Login to Send PM

stylinmama21 - 9 minutes ago  » 
    How do you get treatment for a whole year?? I want that!!

It was part of the service agreement through our PCO. $700 initial treatment, $37 each time they spray (required a minimum of once per month) after initial treatment and we signed on for 1 year of treatment to ensure they were gone. Every month they will spray all baseboards, bed and frame, night stands, dressers, carpet, curtains and furniture. This ensures if there are any stragglers, we don't become reinfected.

5. stylinmama21

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 15:49:01
    #

Login to Send PM

I wish! I have to pay $700 per treatment! 👎

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 15:58:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Do you have attatched neighbors? The bugs could be coming from them.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  7. monicaa

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 17:59:22
    #

Login to Send PM

Woodrow15 - 22 hours ago  » 
    Hi! Did you have a chemical treatment or a heat treatment? We are currently undergoing chemical treatment and have been told from our PCO that since bed bugs are such good hiders, it is possible to see a bug or two a while after you think you've got them beat, simply because they can live so long without feeding. We are getting treatment for an entire year because of this. Not sure what your case is but I would begin monitoring closely for any additional signs.

We had a chemical treatment (2 of them, spread out by a few weeks). The guy who did the treatment mad a point of saying his treatment was the kind that would "bring the bugs out from their hiding places" to kill them...but maybe he missed some? Or could these be brand new ones?

Also, we're the only apartment on the basement level. :/ there's someone directly above us though

8. Bedbugmom41

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 19:22:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe Mr Cain can answer better, but 1 year of treatment sounds fishy to me...

I'm not an expert.

9. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 21:20:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 1 hour ago  » 
    I'm not an expert.

What about this makes it seem fishy? They aren't saying that it's going to take a year to get rid of them, they simply state that because the bed bugs can live that long without feeding, they contract for that long to prevent reinfestations that may occur due to how well they hide. It is not uncommon to go through treatment and then 6 months later see a bug or two....if you have no chemical down and they feed and breed, here comes your infestation again. I don't know about you but when this problem is over, I'd gladly pay $37 a month every month for the rest of my life to prevent this from ever happening again.

10. Bedbugmom41

Posted 2 years ago
    Fri Sep 15 2017 23:27:33
    #

Login to Send PM

Woodrow15 - 2 hours ago  » 

I'm not an expert.

What about this makes it seem fishy? They aren't saying that it's going to take a year to get rid of them, they simply state that because the bed bugs can live that long without feeding, they contract for that long to prevent reinfestations that may occur due to how well they hide. It is not uncommon to go through treatment and then 6 months later see a bug or two....if you have no chemical down and they feed and breed, here comes your infestation again. I don't know about you but when this problem is over, I'd gladly pay $37 a month every month for the rest of my life to prevent this from ever happening again.

Let's ask Mr Cain.
    And if you are rid of bedbugs after 2 x 37$ treatments then good for you! I want your PCO's number!
    I'm not saying it's bad. I'm just saying it sounds fishy to non expert me.
    My PCO offered a 1 yr warranty on a multi-family dwelling because other units were treated at the same time.

11. Woodrow15

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Sep 16 2017 6:12:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Bedbugmom41 - 6 hours ago  » 

I'm not an expert.

Let's ask Mr Cain.
    And if you are rid of bedbugs after 2 x 37$ treatments then good for you! I want your PCO's number!
    My PCO offered a 1 yr warranty on a multi-family dwelling because other units were treated at the same time.

If you read my post, we paid $700 for our initial treatment and then when they come monthly it's $37. We didn't get off cheap.

12. Bedbugmom41

Posted 2 years ago
    Sat Sep 16 2017 16:35:50
    #

Login to Send PM

Woodrow15 - 10 hours ago  » 

Bedbugmom41 - 6 hours ago  » 

I'm not an expert.

Let's ask Mr Cain.

If you read my post, we paid $700 for our initial treatment and then when they come monthly it's $37. We didn't get off cheap.

Sorry, I didn't mean that you got off cheap.
    My PCO charged a flat rate and inckuded a one year warranty. That's actually when I started trusting his work. I just find it odd that they would charge you again if HE missed something.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,894 posts in 50,058 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,369 members. Latest: sai, Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019