Help! Do I have bed bugs?

(6 posts)
  1. helpplease

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 30 2011 14:44:05
    #

Login to Send PM

So most of what's going on doesn't seem "typical" but I'm freaked out and totally paranoid!

Over the weekend, I stayed in a hotel on Long Island (not known to have bed bugs according to the Bed Bug Registry website). I returned home Monday evening, and watched dvds on my laptop in bed for a few hours. At around 10:00pm, I noticed that I had a few random bites...one on my left ankle, one on the outside of my left thigh, and two on the back of my right thigh. I immediately googled "bed bugs" to find out what to look for, but didn't think it was bed bugs and was possibly a delayed response/delayed noticing of mosquito bites from an outdoor party the night before. On Tuesday, I started to get very paranoid and I started looking around. I saw some black specks on my sheets and comforter near the bottom, but none of them were stuck to the sheets and they didn't smear, and I also hadn't changed my sheets in awhile. I took my sheets and comforter off the bed and put them in plastic bags, and I inspected the mattress and box spring, including all the cracks and crevices and found absolutely nothing. I put on a fresh set of sheets and a clean blanket. I woke up on yesterday morning with one more bite on my right foot. I inspected the sheets and didn't see anything. Last night when I got home from work, I watched a DVD in bed and then felt paranoid again so I got up to inspect. The sheet again looked like it had some black specks on it, as well as white specks that I'm afraid were eggs/casings, and one really small reddish thing that could have been a bed bug. Everything was SO tiny that it's also possible it was dirt from my feet. But I picked it all up with toilet paper and flushed it down the toilet. I then continued my inspection and found nothing in the mattress/box spring/head board/furniture, etc, BUT when I started to go around the baseboards of the room since I read that is another place they hide, I am pretty sure I found a bed bug...it was bigger than what I'd found on the bed (maybe 2mm?), reddish brown, and really stuck to the baseboard. i wish I'd known about this forum and taken a picture, but I didn't and I flushed it down the toilet. I continued my inspection and didn't find ANYTHING else, including near where i found the bug - no fecal stains, no eggs, casings, other bugs, etc. Please help!! I'm very paranoid because I found what I'm pretty sure was a bed bug, but other than that, things dont' match up - my bites don't come in clusters, they don't itch worse than mosquito bites, the black specks don't stick to anything or smear, etc etc.

2. Richard_Naylor

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 30 2011 15:00:29
    #

Login to Send PM

To me it doesn't sound like you have anything to worry about. Adult bedbugs can be reddish-brown but they are 5-6 mm long. Nymphs can be 2 mm long bug they are creamy-yellow and have a distinctive black mark in the abdomen (which is gut contents showing through the cuticle). Neither adults or nymphs would be "stuck to the baseboard". They aren't particularly good at clinging on to anything.

Golden rule is to save everything you find. Sticky tape works well to collect specimens. Then you can post a pic and we can (usually) tell you what it is.

3. EmbarrassinglyBitten

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 30 2011 21:06:03
    #

Login to Send PM

I had no fecal stains or blood stains, no signs of BB except the bites. Not all in clusters, sometimes sporadic . It started out 1-3 bites a night. My box spring had them. I was not fully infested. I will know in a week if they are gone, but I am sure I will have to worry about it for some time afterwards. The problem is going to be the bunk bed system since it is made of wood with lots of tiny crevices.

4. helpplease

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Thu Jun 30 2011 21:38:54
    #

Login to Send PM

I looked in my box spring but didn't see anything...what did you do to get rid of them?
    I did another inspection when I got home tonight, nothing besides the few black specks at the end of my sheets...tried putting water on them cause I read that they would smear/turn reddish cause if they are fecal stains they are like dried blood, but they stayed totally solid. Fingers crossed that I have no bites in the morning and this is really nothing!

5. MoreThanOnceBitten

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 9:53:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Black specks could be flea dirt. They can smear too, but in my experience they don't.

I haven't seen any blood spots on my sheets either. I have to admit that I have old blood spots on my sheets from other things so I have to take that into account when I look. It isn't always easy to tell.

I haven't seen any bugs at all save wolf spiders and beetles.

6. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Jul 1 2011 9:57:56
    #

Login to Send PM

You can get fleas in your home without having a pet, just FYI. Flea bites tend to be clustered around ankles/feet.

And flea dirt is often described as black specks that can be brushed off.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,607 posts in 49,509 topics over 153 months by 21,693 of 22,135 members. Latest: mrssachvz, mandy717, Lodo956