Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Psychological and Health problems caused by bed bugs (besides bites)

Help Dealing with Bug Paranoia/Anxiety

(9 posts)
  1. datgirl

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 9:23:03
    #

Login to Send PM

My saga started late last summer when I started getting bites on my back around my waistline. These popped up about once a month. DIY inspections of couch and bed brought up nothing, and I figured the myriad other bugs in our basement apartment had something to do with it.

The day before we were scheduled to move, I woke up with about ten bites along my left shoulder, arm, and chest. We were committed to the move, so all I could do was wash the clothing and bedding on hot and hope for the best.

Since then, I’ve had severe anxiety that I brought bed bugs into my new apartment. I’ve been having skin reactions at least weekly, typically involving raised red spots on my shoulders, back, and upper arms that don’t itch. I’ve installed ClimbUps, torn my couch apart to inspect, checked my new bed, hired a k9 sniffer, and have only come up with spiders, spider beetles, and some carpet beetle larvae. Still, I’m worried that I’m not finding something that could be causing my skin problems. I already have an anxiety disorder and the uncertainty of this situation is wreaking havoc on my mental health.

Does anyone have advice for someone who is struggling? Thank you so much for your time and support.

2. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 10:05:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

I have compiled a number of resources specific to anxiety and the psychology of bedbugs, they start here:

https://www.bed-bugs.co.uk/educational/anxiety/

There is also a relaxation resources section as well.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.
  3. HelpBB

Posted 4 months ago
    Fri Mar 15 2019 10:37:25
    #

Login to Send PM

datgirl I am truly sorry that you are going through this. A doctor had put me on some very strong anti anxiety drugs which I would not recommend b/c of the addiction factor. It was brutal trying to get off them but what I am taking now and seems to help with the anxiety is hydroxazine. It is a prescription but is not supposed to be addictive. Hot baths or showers before bed and maybe some sleepy time tea before bed too. If you are having trouble sleeping b/c of it all it was suggested by my pharmacist to take melatonin 30 min before bed. Another suggestion is maybe getting some Cimexa and puffing it around under beds, furniture and cracks and crevices. Make sure beds are pulled away from walls and keep inspecting. Use Cimexa very lightly. Sending hugs your way.

David thank you for posting the site for relaxation. I will be checking it out.

4. deBug

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sat Mar 16 2019 1:12:20
    #

Login to Send PM

datgirl - 15 hours ago  » 
    My saga started late last summer when I started getting bites on my back around my waistline. These popped up about once a month. DIY inspections of couch and bed brought up nothing, and I figured the myriad other bugs in our basement apartment had something to do with it.
    The day before we were scheduled to move, I woke up with about ten bites along my left shoulder, arm, and chest. We were committed to the move, so all I could do was wash the clothing and bedding on hot and hope for the best.
    Since then, I’ve had severe anxiety that I brought bed bugs into my new apartment. I’ve been having skin reactions at least weekly, typically involving raised red spots on my shoulders, back, and upper arms that don’t itch. I’ve installed ClimbUps, torn my couch apart to inspect, checked my new bed, hired a k9 sniffer, and have only come up with spiders, spider beetles, and some carpet beetle larvae. Still, I’m worried that I’m not finding something that could be causing my skin problems. I already have an anxiety disorder and the uncertainty of this situation is wreaking havoc on my mental health.
    Does anyone have advice for someone who is struggling? Thank you so much for your time and support.

If there is no evidence of bed bugs, it most likely is not. Carpet beetles can actually leave a set of "bite" looking rashes when they crawl against you. It could be carpet beetles.

5. datgirl

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Sun Mar 17 2019 11:54:41
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you all for your replies. I am trying to stay logical about this whole thing, but continuing to have skin reactions with no evidence of bed bugs is doing a number on my mind. I believe that any problem might be stemming from my couch, and I’m almost afraid to sit on it. I fell asleep on it briefly this morning and woke up with an itchy pimple on my arm. I lost my mind. I’m unsure how I will deal with this long term, especially if no bugs show up. It’s affecting my ability to get through my day-to-day.

I will keep going back to David’s relaxation and anxiety pages and remembering that no bugs means no bugs. I’m reluctant to try any pesticides in case there actually is a problem and I exacerbate it. I may add passive monitors to my Climb-Ups so I don’t have to keep tearing furniture apart. And I’ll start a good cleaning regimen to keep the carpet and spider beetles at bay unless they’re part of the problem.

I also need to remember that the skin reactions almost always pop up on places under my clothes. Unless bugs are crawling down my collar or up my sleeves, I can’t be getting bitten.

6. Scared88

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 10:39:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Just know you're not alone. We've been experiencing "bites" for two months now. I have clean climb-ups, clean white sheets (other than a couple tiny blood spots on my son's pillow 2x), and one negative PCO inspection. I search the beds daily. In fact, I have disassembled both my kids beds and found nothing. Don't have the muscle to disassemble my own King size bed, and at this point my husband thinks I'm nuts and won't feed into my paranoia anymore. But he's not the one waking up with bites every morning!! I've read too many stories of those who showed no evidence for a long time only to find out it WAS BBs, that I can't give it up. And the longer it remains a mystery, the worse my anxiety gets, becuase it it IS BBs, I know it's going to be harder to get rid of the longer I wait and let it grow to the point where I can finally find some evidence.

I went down the carpet beetle route, but I haven't seen a larvae in weeks and the bites are increasing. All the bite patterns and timing on me and my kids is far too coincidental.

Meanwhile, I'm crying almost daily. My husband hates me (not really, but he's done with my anxeity about BBs). I just NEED to find the cause, so I can DO something about it. God help me (us)....

7. astrogirl

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 11:10:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I really feel for you guys. I'm dealing with the same thing. I keep trying to remind myself that the bites or whatever they are aren't life threatening but once stuck in that BB anxiety wormhole, it's hard to think rationally. I keep going back to when this all started for me and try to find an emotional trigger. Maybe we should start our own forum for phantom BB survivors. Don't lose hope. We will find out the cause and hopefully move on with our lives.

8. datgirl

newbite

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 12:39:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you both for your responses. It makes you feel like you’re going insane when you have itchy marks and nothing to show for it, and all of the “mystery bite” stories that wind up being bugs make you wonder when the other shoe will drop. I feel for you, Scared88, because my fiancé has taken the brunt of my bug fear, like your husband had with yours, and he’s both fed up and worried about me.

How crazy I am: I think my couch is the potential harborage, so I check it all the time. Last night, I was taking pictures inside the frame because I couldn’t see into it without flipping it over. I thought I saw a bug on one of the pictures and panicked. I flipped that heavy-ass sofa straight over and dug through it for a solid hour. Found nothing but more staining that was already proven by David to be non-bed-bug-related, what I thought might be a shed skin that crumbled, and what I swore was a nymph but didn’t squish and turned out to be a piece of lint.

I think we all know that the odds of there being bugs are pretty small with no proof. The reason it feels like all the mystery bites turn out to be bugs are because the people with bed bugs are the ones that come back to the board. Everyone else cleans up their carpet beetles or gets cream for their eczema and moves on and away from here. But, like astrogirl said, you get down the wormhole and it’s hard to think and react rationally.

9. Scared88

Posted 4 months ago
    Thu Mar 21 2019 12:48:26
    #

Login to Send PM

datgirl - 7 minutes ago  » 
    Thank you both for your responses. It makes you feel like you’re going insane when you have itchy marks and nothing to show for it, and all of the “mystery bite” stories that wind up being bugs make you wonder when the other shoe will drop. I feel for you, Scared88, because my fiancé has taken the brunt of my bug fear, like your husband had with yours, and he’s both fed up and worried about me.
    How crazy I am: I think my couch is the potential harborage, so I check it all the time. Last night, I was taking pictures inside the frame because I couldn’t see into it without flipping it over. I thought I saw a bug on one of the pictures and panicked. I flipped that heavy-ass sofa straight over and dug through it for a solid hour. Found nothing but more staining that was already proven by David to be non-bed-bug-related, what I thought might be a shed skin that crumbled, and what I swore was a nymph but didn’t squish and turned out to be a piece of lint.
    I think we all know that the odds of there being bugs are pretty small with no proof. The reason it feels like all the mystery bites turn out to be bugs are because the people with bed bugs are the ones that come back to the board. Everyone else cleans up their carpet beetles or gets cream for their eczema and moves on and away from here. But, like astrogirl said, you get down the wormhole and it’s hard to think and react rationally.

I'm worried about my couch too - it's a double electric recliner and literally has 1000s of crevices!!! I want to throw it out, but afraid to buy new furniture before I've confirmed my issue ...
    Also, cars .... we bought a used car about a month before all this started. Uggghhh....my mind goes a million miles per hour.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

291,736 posts in 48,882 topics over 151 months by 21,459 of 21,862 members. Latest: nervousbackpacker, SimpleObserver, get_out