(26 posts)
  1. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 17:36:07
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

In less than a week I have become covered in bites all over my body. I came home on Monday after spending a couple of nights at a friends house and went back to bed for a few hours in my own bed. A little bit after waking up I noticed a bunch of really itchy bites all around my ankles and a few lines of bites up my legs and a line of bites up the back of one of my arms. I freaked out and thought I might have gotten bed bug bites at my friends place. I checked my room and bed really thoroughly and found nothing and spoke to my friend and he checked his bed and found nothing. I also went to the beach on the Saturday so I thought maybe I was just having a delayed reaction to sand fleas.

Over the next few days I developed a few more bites but they were bearable and I was checking my bed and room constantly at all hours of the day and night and still nothing. Wednesday I went to the doctor and he said it could be bed bugs but because of the amount of bites I had that I should definitely be able to find some signs because there would have to be a bad infestation. He said it could also be scabies so I did the treatment for that. Thursday the bites were still there but there didn't seem to be any more and the seemed a little less itchy so I thought maybe that was it. Anyway Friday comes and I have more bites and am really itchy. So I pull apart my room completely. Lift my bed up, rip the bottom off my ensemble, check all the cracks and crevices in my room. Still nothing. At a loss I go out with some friends and have some drinks Friday night. By about 2am I am an itchy mess and in so much pain. I get home and my entire body is covered in welts, all down my legs, my stomach, back, arms and face. Most of them are in clusters or in lines, some of them bigger than the size of a quarter. I try to go to bed but can't sleep even with antihistamines. Saturday morning it's even worse. I ended up in the hospital where they had to give me a bunch of steroids and strong antihistamines. Initially they said hives and then they came back and said they were almost certain it was bed bug bites.

I get home and once again check everywhere, this time with a magnifying glass. STILL NOTHING. I'm at a loss, I can barely sleep from the pain of these bites even with all the medication I'm now on. I tried to sleep in socks and gloves and scarves covering my face last night because I'm so scared of more bites, but that just irritates the pre existing bites.

We're currently in a legal battle with our landlord so we can't get him to help and extermination is so expensive. I wanted to get the dogs in but my housemate said no because of the cost so he has organised someone to come in and spray my room tomorrow....but it only costs $200 so I'm worried they won't be any good and I still don't know where they're coming from. He said I have to bag up all my stuff and dry everything on high heat but obviously there's things that can't be put in the dryer. I really don't know what to do. This is a nightmare and it's all happened in less than a week. I have no family here to help me and I'm currently trying to search for a job but I can't do anything because of the pain of these bites and the drowsiness and nausea from the pills. Plus I can't just move out because then I'd just take them with me.

Has anybody got any advice on how to deal with this situation? I've had three different friends stay at my house the last 2 weeks and no one else got bit even when I was and none of my housemates have got bites on them. Is it possible that I did get the bites at my friends place and some showed up pretty immediately and some didn't show up for about 5 days or does it sound like they're in my apartment? It's just blowing my mind because there are NO signs at all, no bugs, no fecal spots, no blood stains, no skin casings. Nothing. I feel like I'm losing my mind. Any help at all would be appreciated.

2. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 18:01:09
    #

Login to Send PM

I am neither a bb expert nor a doctor, but as someone who had bb I can tell you what you are experiencing does NOT sound bed bug related. You need to get back to the doctor asap--a dermatologist maybe-- in my honest opinion. These sound like some kind of systemic allergic reaction or hives, even an infection. You mentioned being on a beach. I'm wondering if this is an infection you caught from the water, if it was polluted or something?

Your place would have to be crawling with bed bugs to see these many welts, and that level of infestation wouldn't happen this quickly. Trust me. (If I'm wrong, nobugs, you can let me have it, but I think this poster needs a doctor and the sooner the better, so I'm not waiting on an expert.)

That said, there are people who experience delayed reactions to bed bug bites--but if you have looked properly and seen NOTHING, I still say there's another explanation.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  3. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 18:17:47
    #

Login to Send PM

See if this article has any similarities to what you describe:

http://allergies.about.com/od/skinallergies/a/rashswimming.htm

4. RNinNYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 19:13:12
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to second Robinsmom and say that you have no reason to believe that this is bed bugs without evidence of them- bites are not indicative of an infestation without evidence. No one should be treating without evidence. Please go see a dermotologist!

5. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 19:37:49
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the replies. The hospital yesterday initially said hives but then they changed their minds and said it was definitely bed bug bites but they have referred me to a dermatologist which I'm gonna go to tomorrow.

Robinsmom- I didn't go into the water at the beach so I don't know if it could be any of those. I've been looking into so many things and bed bugs seems to make the most sense. I sent my friend a photo because she had bed bugs a few years back and she said the bites looked and that she also ended up in the hospital.

If I can figure out how to post photos on here I'll put some up.

6. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 19:45:57
    #

Login to Send PM

If a doctor did a skin scraping, they could say "definitely insect bites".

They could not say "definitely bed bug bites".

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  7. RNinNYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 19:49:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Has your friend whose place you stayed at had their place checked out? If you are having delayed reactions from their house, they have a massive infestation and that should be pretty easily found if they know what they are looking for.

8. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 20:06:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme- The doctor didn't do a skin scraping, they were pretty hopeless actually but at least they gave me some stuff to settle the bites. Three different doctors looked, one said hives, one didn't know and then the third one (who was the most qualified) said bed bugs and then googled pictures of the bites to show me. I'm hoping the dermatologist will do a scraping tomorrow.

RNinNYC- I haven't been back there but I have asked him numerous times and he said he checked his mattress, under his sheets etc and couldn't find anything so I don't really know what else to do besides believe him. Also it seems weird that I would have some bites and then 5 days later a bunch more, like if it was a delayed reaction wouldn't it be that all the bites showed up at the same time?

I put some photos of my bites up. Hopefully that link works. That's just a few of them and after a lot of the swelling went down, they are also all over my arms, stomach, back and a few on my face.

http://imgur.com/a/5w0XE

9. RNinNYC

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 21:16:20
    #

Login to Send PM

I would not do anything until you see a dermo- doesnt necessarily sounds like a bed bug situation. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme and reason behind delayed reactions, though, so there's no way to know where or when they originated. I wouldn't count out your friends based on the timing- but I might if he really couldn't find any evidence and he truly searched the proper way.

10. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 21:25:58
    #

Login to Send PM

Hope the dermatogist gives you an answer!

11. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 21:31:59
    #

Login to Send PM

I've not seen cases of bed bug bites present the way you are presenting. It's almost like a generalized systemic reaction to something.

I also went to the beach on the Saturday so I thought maybe I was just having a delayed reaction to sand fleas.
    This is a big misconception about creatures called sand fleas. What people call sand fleas are actually talitrid amphipods; these are crustaceans, so somewhat related to lobsters and crabs and do not bite.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  12. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 22:43:39
    #

Login to Send PM

Have you placed out any types of monitor devices such as glue boards, passive monitors, fan-folded paper, folded washcloths, corrugated cardboard pieces? Take a lint roller tape and try to collect off walls, around windows? Do you know if you have any nesting birds around the windows or have any rodent problems? Trying to rule out biting mites associated with typical host birds or rodents.

13. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Jun 7 2015 23:06:38
    #

Login to Send PM

loubugs - 17 minutes ago  » 
    Have you placed out any types of monitor devices such as glue boards, passive monitors, fan-folded paper, folded washcloths, corrugated cardboard pieces? Take a lint roller tape and try to collect off walls, around windows? Do you know if you have any nesting birds around the windows or have any rodent problems? Trying to rule out biting mites associated with typical host birds or rodents.

I haven't but I'll look into how to do that tonight and see if I can set anything up. No nesting birds and no rodent problem that I know of but we live in an old loft in NYC so I suppose there could be.

I think my housemate has organised for exterminators to come in the morning anyway so pretty sure they're just gonna do it without evidence and I still have to go through the entire prep process which is already causing me grief. Any idea what to do with the things that can't be put in a dryer- jackets (I have a bunch that can't be dried and will cost me a fortune to dry clean), shoes, handbags, suitcases?

14. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 0:24:48
    #

Login to Send PM

lf - 26 minutes ago  » 

I think my housemate has organised for exterminators to come in the morning anyway so pretty sure they're just gonna do it without evidence and I still have to go through the entire prep process which is already causing me grief. Any idea what to do with the things that can't be put in a dryer- jackets (I have a bunch that can't be dried and will cost me a fortune to dry clean), shoes, handbags, suitcases?

I am so sorry to hear what you're going through. I've seen how excruciating and downright mind-numbing that kind of allergic reaction can be. My husband went through something almost identical to what you're describing a number of years ago. It was entirely different (and much worse) than the bite reactions he had when we had bedbugs.

I am NOT an expert nor am I a medical professional, but I have learned a thing or two. And one thing I absolutely know for certain is that you should NOT allow anyone to treat for bed bugs without confirmed evidence of a bed bug infestation.

That being said, it sounds like your frustration and anxiety are causing you to jump the gun. The first step is always to diagnose the problem.

Please don't let anyone come and spray God-knows-what all over your room - especially if they're willing to do it without evidence of an infestation. It's a red flag that they would be planning or even willing to do that in the first place.

Think about it. The last thing you need is for an already severe allergic reaction to be complicated further by the introduction of unnecessary chemicals into your living environment! Plus it would be a total waste of money.

Don't do anything until the dermatologist determines what is causing the reaction. With the skin scrape they can confirm or rule out insect bites.

Even if it turns out to be insect bites, it's important to determine what insects are doing the biting and where the infestation actuallty is before doing any type of pest control treatment. It sounds very likely that what you're dealing with is NOT bed bugs - especially if you haven't found any evidence of them. Again, I'm not an expert, but Lou is a highly regarded entomologist and my best advice is to take his advice wholeheartedly.

On an encouraging note, when this happened to my husband, it was determined to be a systemic allergy. They had to try a couple of different meds before they found the one that did the trick completely, but he did get through it. Also, he found that taking an ice cold shower when he just couldn't stand the itching anymore really helped, even if only temporarily.

I hope this helps. My heart goes out to you. Praying that you will find relief soon.

Melanie

I am NOT an expert - just a grateful bed bug survivor willing to share my experience, strength, and hope with others.
  15. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 1:52:12
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks everyone for the responses, it's really helpful. This has been a very stressful and lonely experience.

I think I may have finally found something. It was tiny and dead and just on my comforter but it looks like a bed bug to me.

http://imgur.com/0raflEb

I still can't find anything else though. No other bugs, no other signs, just this tiny little one so I don't understand how I could have so many bites with no other signs. There's lot of crevices etc in my room so I suppose they could be hiding in there but I've checked them as best I can and how can I not have any fecal or blood stains, I have white sheets and a white comforter, and how could this have all happened in a week?

That being said, it sounds like your frustration and anxiety are causing you to jump the gun. The first step is always to diagnose the problem.
    Please don't let anyone come and spray God-knows-what all over your room - especially if they're willing to do it without evidence of an infestation. It's a red flag that they would be planning or even willing to do that in the first place.

Melanie- I totally understand and agree with what you're saying. I hate chemicals so much and avoid them in every aspect of my life where I can and I really don't want to do this unless I have to. I'm just a subletter though and my housemate saw my legs and has made the decision so I don't feel like I have much choice. If it were up to me I would get the dogs in to check and go for a higher quality, more thorough exterminator but I'm not the one paying and can't afford to and it's not my apartment so short of moving out and losing my deposit I honestly have no idea what to do. I can try get him to wait another day or two until I've been to the dermatologist and see what that comes back as but now after finding that bug I'm feeling like it has to be bed bugs, I just don't know where on earth they are hiding. He's already had me bag up all my clothes into garbage bags but now my room is so cluttered I'm not sure how the exterminator is even going to move in here cause my housemate doesn't wan't my sealed bags even in the living area in case it spreads the problem.

Oh this is a nightmare

16. FormerlyBuggy

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 2:17:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Hang in there.

The fastest way for you to get a positive ID from an expert is to start a new thread with the word "ID" in the title on in the detection and Identification area HERE

They check that area for ID requests often.

If you can take a pictures of the top and underside, that would be helpful. The highest resolution and close-up picture you can take with your camera will be best. If the picture you posted is all you can do, go with that.

17. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 4:51:38
    #

Login to Send PM

I've not seen cases of bed bug bites present the way you are presenting. It's almost like a generalized systemic reaction to something.

I think I may have finally found something. It was tiny and dead and just on my comforter but it looks like a bed bug to me.

I'm going to rephrase my first statement to "it looks like a generalized systemic reaction or you are actually receiving many bites." It's not a mite. The insect looks like a dried up, but fed. first instar bed bug nymph. It's very odd that you can't find more of this size class around for the number of lesions on your skin. Maybe the difficulty in locating harborage areas has something to do with the loft situation or the layout of the room, and possibly construction of the building. Your housemate has no bites or no reactions to bites? There have been other housemates before you and no other reactions reported? I

18. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 5:29:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Oh, wow. That bug took my by surprise. Weird. And I'm very sorry.

At this point you might be much better off not disturbing any more possible bb by bagging etc. just wait for the pco. Seriously.

Were any of your neighbors treated recently?

19. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 13:01:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe the difficulty in locating harborage areas has something to do with the loft situation or the layout of the room, and possibly construction of the building. Your housemate has no bites or no reactions to bites? There have been other housemates before you and no other reactions reported?

This is what I'm worried about. My housemate doesn't want to pay for a dog so we're just getting a cheap exterminator who's just going to spray without even knowing where the problem is so I'm worried it won't get rid of them. There really are so many places they could be hiding in my room but without a proper inspection they wont know where they are. I understand how I could maybe not find any bugs because of the amount of hiding places but I'm still blown away that I can't find any other signs. No other reactions from my current housemates or housemates before me and never from anyone visiting my room or our apartment and we do have a lot of people around.

At this point you might be much better off not disturbing any more possible bb by bagging etc. just wait for the pco. Seriously.

Were any of your neighbors treated recently?

I understand not wanting to disturb any more but the pco is coming tomorrow at 8am and I've been told to bag up all my stuff so I don't know if I have another option. He's just coming to spray without an inspection so he wants the room clear. I'm honestly at a loss at what to do. I don't want to make the problem worse but I have to do what they're telling me to and I don't have the money to pay for a inspection or exterminator myself.

No neighbours treated that I know of.

20. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 18:57:26
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm going to rephrase my first statement to "it looks like a generalized systemic reaction or you are actually receiving many bites." It's not a mite. The insect looks like a dried up, but fed. first instar bed bug nymph.
    It's very difficult to identify certain nymphs of many insect species and I've been thinking about this creature for a few hours. I'd like to amend my answer to a true bug nymph (could be a young one, but maybe not), and quite possibly not a bed bug at all. It just doesn't look right. If you want me to look at it and place it under a microscope (I believe you are in NYC), then let me know. PM me. If you aren't finding any more of these on your bed, it's possible that these are coming in from outdoors from plants, in fact. Not having a correct ID and you having very strange skin reactions but finding no bed bug population is very suspect. Sorry for all non-definitive answers.

21. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Mon Jun 8 2015 20:11:11
    #

Login to Send PM

If,

Any chance you can post another picture of the insect you found, but of the top? The picture looks to have been of its underbelly? Unless you've mailed it to Lou?

Hang in there. What are the laws concerning bb treatment for NYC--just in case? Might your landlord be responsible for treatment?

22. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 11:45:08
    #

Login to Send PM

robinsmom - 15 hours ago  » 
    If,
    Any chance you can post another picture of the insect you found, but of the top? The picture looks to have been of its underbelly? Unless you've mailed it to Lou?
    Hang in there. What are the laws concerning bb treatment for NYC--just in case? Might your landlord be responsible for treatment?

Hi Robinsmom,

I still have it as I haven't had a chance to get it to Lou yet. I keep trying to get a better picture but because it's so small my camera won't focus and its struggling to get a clear one. As for the laws well i am just a sub letter and I don't even know who the landlord but i think there's already a court battle going on is so my housemate is just organizing everything. As a result he is paying out of pocket so doesn't want to get the whole apartment done, inspectors in etc and wants them to spray asap so it doesn't spread.

Does anyone have any advice on how to not go insane through this process? I literally feel like I'm losing my mind. I have no family here, they're all on the other side of the world.. None of my friends want to help understandably so I'm trying to do this all myself. I got a prep company in last night tk give me a quote on how much it would cost to help me prep my room and the guy was so nice and friendly but I just can't afford it. I managed to get my housemate to push back the extermination to tomorrow at 9am but I just don't think I can get the prep done in time especially because I'm trying so hard to see a dermatologist today and it's taking forever.. The guy last night told me I had to rid all the open fiberglass insulation out of my room cause they could be hiding there. If anyone has any advice on how to make this easier and survive a huge mental breakdown if really appreciate it.

23. loubugs

old timer

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 13:45:28
    #

Login to Send PM

As a result he is paying out of pocket so doesn't want to get the whole apartment done, inspectors in etc and wants them to spray asap so it doesn't spread.
    There's not going to be much spreading at all. If you don't move everything everywhere, they will stay put.
    The guy last night told me I had to rid all the open fiberglass insulation out of my room cause they could be hiding there.
    If they are there, do you really want to work with fiberglass insulation? And maybe you are having a reaction to insulation, especially if the little bug (and others if there are actually more) doesn't have a harborage there.

24. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Jun 9 2015 14:43:25
    #

Login to Send PM

If asked,

Does anyone have any advice on how to not go insane through this process?

Yes! Focus on getting an ID first.

Lou is an entomologist and its really unlikely the PCO tech who comes to your home is as skilled at ID. Get a confirmation from Lou before you prep or treat.

It truly is the best thing you can do for your sanity, your stress level, and your wallet.

If it ends up being a bed bug, I would recommend you and your housemate get someone else in. If you are in NYC, or even elsewhere, we may have recommendations. "Get rid of fiberglass insulation" is not something we hear PCOs telling people to do-- not normally, and certainly not with a single bug which may not be a bed bug. In fact, with a single bug which may not be a bed bug, you should not be prepping or getting treatment.

If you do end up having a bed bug, you need someone who can assess the extent of the problem and ask you to prep accordingly and then treat accordingly.

25. lf

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2015 17:37:01
    #

Login to Send PM

So, it turns out my friends apartment complex that I stayed at right before the first bites occurred is absolutely infested with bed bugs. How they didn't know or find signs or no one react to the bites I have no idea but now I am certain that the little bug I posted a picture of is a bed bug.

Even before this was confirmed my roommate had organised a PCO to come spray my room this morning. So I did everything that I was asked to do. I bagged up all my clothes and put them in the dryer for half an hour on hot. Anything that couldn't be heated (suitcases, shoes, etc) I visually inspected, sprayed with alcohol spray and bagged in thick clear lawn bags and sealed twice with tape.I moved all these bags to the living room so that there would be space for the PCO to spray. I removed and threw out everything from the platform storage area under my bed, including the fiberglass insulation. My room was basically bare. This morning the PCO came to spray and I asked if I needed to take the photos down from my wall, he said no. He also didn't make me take the mirrors down. I asked if he was going to do a perimeter spray outside my room and he said that he just needed to do my room and that they wouldn't spread from there. He also said they we probably just need to do one spray. He did all this in about 15 mins. From my research these are all signs of a bad PCO but once again, I don't have any say in this so I just have to take what I'm being given. I had to stay out of my room for 6 hours and I was really cautious making sure I put fresh clothes on before going and sitting on the couch but I have now noticed that I have two more bites near my elbow my which I'm worried have come from being on the couch because I've been sleeping in a long sleeve shirt, meaning that this problem has now spread out of my room. Now that my room has been sprayed though we can't even get dogs for 30 days because it messes up their senses or something.

The stress of this situation is making me sick. I am considering going to visit a friend in Chicago for 5 or so days because I need to get out but I obviously don't want to amplify the situation. I asked the PCO about needing to sleep in my room and he said no that the only reason people say that is so you don't sleep on another bed or the couch etc and spread them, but other things I read online says you should basically be using yourself as bait. Does anyone have any advice on this?

26. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Jun 10 2015 18:04:25
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes-- per my last message, ID still matters.

Have Lou ID the bug.

Even if you were bitten at your friend's, it does not mean you brought bed bugs home. It's possible you were reacting to bites which happened on the visit.

Even if you brought a single bed bug home from your friend's home, it is unlikely you brought lots of bugs home. Bed bugs bite once every 3-5 days or so. You may have brought home one or a few.

Have a human carefully inspect your home. A NY-area pro who participates here is a good choice IMO-- killerqueen aka Boot-a-pest. He is known as someone who does a careful search. (You can hire him just to inspect.)

Also, from what experts here have said, going away for five days should not have a big impact on your treatment.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

279,257 posts in 46,267 topics over 141 months by 20,394 of 21,225 members. Latest: Llorenzaccio, morgan, mojo172