Help! Car infested

(9 posts)
  1. Rosie024

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sat Sep 15 2018 10:31:40
    #

Login to Send PM

I suspected my baby was being bit in our car as she often falls asleep during a drive. Sure enough we recently saw a live one crawling near the headliner by the driver side. We have also found some fecal spots as well. We have thoroughly cleaned the car, washed car seats etc. I am thinking about using the pest strips and not driving the car. My question is the Nuvan strips are not available in Canada, are the alternative brands the same ingredients? Also should the 16 or 65 gram amount should be used? Will the strips work with cooler weather? It’s been around freezing at night up to the low 50s during the day. I can park the car in our unheated garage to keep it a bit warmer but will they still be ineffective?
    Also are they safe for any electronic components in the car?

2. Rosie024

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 18 2018 18:19:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Anybody?

3. mannrw61

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Sep 18 2018 20:25:00
    #

Login to Send PM

I don't know about the availability/similar ingredients, but in terms of whether they'd be safe for electronic components in your car, I'd have to say yes. Nuvan strips are supposed to be the best way to treat electronics since laptops/tablets/phones/etc. can't be sprayed with pesticides and heating them is really risky.

Current fighter of bed bugs, survivor of one previous bout of bed bugs, and ironically enough I'm the IPM manager where I work.
  4. thirdusername

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 19 2018 0:26:08
    #

Login to Send PM

I didn't know there are alternative brands available in Canada.
    What's it called?

I don't know if a car is airtight enough to treat that way.

I am NOT an expert.
    My opinions are just opinions, they may NOT apply to yours or any situation.
    My advice is to always do a LOT of research.
    A lot of what I read contradicts other stuff on the Interweb.
  5. Rosie024

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 19 2018 13:04:31
    #

Login to Send PM

thirdusername - 12 hours ago  » 
    I didn't know there are alternative brands available in Canada.
    What's it called?
    I don't know if a car is airtight enough to treat that way.

Ortho Hime Defense. Same active ingredient in them as the Nuvan Pro Strips.
    I assume duct taping any vents and maybe even the car doors would help with keeping it sealed? My main concern is the temperature for it to effectively work. Would putting in more strips help combat the slower release of the gas?

6. Rosie024

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Wed Sep 19 2018 13:05:33
    #

Login to Send PM

mannrw61 - 16 hours ago  » 
    I don't know about the availability/similar ingredients, but in terms of whether they'd be safe for electronic components in your car, I'd have to say yes. Nuvan strips are supposed to be the best way to treat electronics since laptops/tablets/phones/etc. can't be sprayed with pesticides and heating them is really risky.

Good to know! I wasn’t sure about the electronics. I have also heard of heating a car in an auto paint oven, but am also worried about the electronics never mind the cost

7. Buggernet

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 20 2018 17:47:35
    #

Login to Send PM

I had them in my car and had the pest control guy do my car when he did the house. They sprayed the car and I had to leave it sit for two hours. then i opened the windows for an hour before I drove it.

8. Rosie024

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Thu Sep 20 2018 18:02:06
    #

Login to Send PM

Buggernet - 13 minutes ago  » 
    I had them in my car and had the pest control guy do my car when he did the house. They sprayed the car and I had to leave it sit for two hours. then i opened the windows for an hour before I drove it.

Did the treatment work for you? My car was sprayed and we weren’t allowed back in for a minimum of 6 hours (same as house) but we left it overnight and aired out in the morning.

9. Buggernet

newbite

Posted 1 week ago
    Mon Oct 8 2018 20:29:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Yes, it worked for me. Have not had any problems since.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

280,523 posts in 46,598 topics over 142 months by 20,553 of 21,419 members. Latest: pestbreaker, TRAY, tjg