Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Tools/ideas for fighting bed bugs

Help! Can someone tell me if I'm on the right track to whooping these dudes?

(9 posts)
  1. onioncat_itches

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 22 2017 2:08:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - I hung out with a guy a few times and guess what! Now I have bedbugs! #tindernightmares

Anyway, I wasn't getting bitten consistently and found zero evidence of bugs anywhere in my bed. Finally, Friday night, one (I hope just one) bit me enough times to wake me up and I grabbed my phone to use as a flashlight and frantically searched until I saw it running away like a little coward, crawling up the blanket over my headboard. After cursing it out in the dark, I balled up the blanket and stuffed it into a garbage bag and tied it up tight. I've been in nuclear attack mode ever since.

So, here's what I've done in the last 48 hours, not exactly in order - tell me if I'm at least doing most of this right!

1. ID bug and seal it in a bag

2. seal ALL current bedding (pillows, everything) in garbage bags until washing

3. ordered Kit #3 from Do My Own with Cimexa, Bedlam, etc (still waiting for it to arrive)

4. Also ordered insect growth regulator for good measure (still waiting)

5. Home Depot/Target extravaganza: Safer brand DE/silica stuff, extra large garbage bags, painters plastic, duct tape, small sprayer, Ortho Home Defense BB killer, bug-proof mattress and pillow covers, stick vacuum with built in hand-vac, some BS eco pet-safe lemongrass oil spray that won't hurt my cat but probably won't hurt BBs either, mask that I forgot to wear when applying DE.

6. I sprayed the upholstered chair in my room with the Ortho, then took it outside and sealed it in painters plastic and duct tape. Still outside (sealed); debating on whether to keep it or not.

7. Removed cat tree, disassembled, sprayed down with the eco lemongrass stuff. Still outside (not sealed, but I deemed it much lower risk that my chair)

8. Spent $65 in quarters at the laundromat washing and drying literally everything I own on high heat, clean or dirty, curtains, bedding, towels, you name it. Probably a few cat toys too. Two pillows and one sheet in use, both pillows in a bug case.

9. Deep cleaned my room, sprayed anything with a crevice (furniture, everything) with either the Ortho or dusted with DE. Vacuumed, puffed DE into all baseboards and outlets, even the backs of my picture frames. Everything under my bed is either washed and put in bags, or treated with DE and/or Ortho.

10. Sprayed mattress pretty well with Ortho; got it into the bug proof case and put some DE in there too just for good measure. Sprayed headboard REALLY well and took wooden slats (metal IKEA frame) outside for Ortho, and then DE once dry.

I was a busy bee.

Here is my plan over the next few weeks:

1. Use the BB kit to treat in 2 weeks to kick 'em while they're down. Share Bedlam spray and DE with roommates if they'd like to use it in their rooms (so far I'm the only one with a problem)

2. apply IGR to floors, etc - probably whole house

3. Vacuum as often as possible.

4. Keep most of my clothes sealed up, using only what I need and washing frequently.

5. Go camping in Joshua Tree and suddenly realize scorpions aren't so bad.

6. Will be borrowing a steamer from roommate's sister; will treat mattress and cat tree. Reassemble and bring cat tree back inside.

6. after the first two week "follow up" I'm going to treat AGAIN, hopefully eliminating any survivors.

7. May possibly reapply DE if it got blown away, washed off, or otherwise messed up in the process.

Am I missing anything? Doing anything wrong? Thanks and best of luck to you all!!

2. Proudmommyto3rottenboys

Posted 2 years ago
    Mon May 22 2017 2:21:14
    #

Login to Send PM

Not a expert but your roommates should also be doing everything your doing too or everything your doing is really for no good.Bed bugs travel and they will get in the other rooms.The whole house should be treated..

3. onioncat_itches

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 2:18:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks, I'm hoping that preventative measures (bedlam spray and DE) in their rooms will be enough. Problem is less than a month old so hopefully hasn't taken root... yet. I'm acting as quickly as possible!

4. frightened

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 5:27:43
    #

Login to Send PM

How do you know the person you were visiting was the source? Another time it is best not to panic (not easy I know) and carefully and quietly investigate to find the source/harbourage/extent so that you can apply the most appropriate treatment.
    If you are vacuuming a lot do not apply cimexa otherwise you will just be vacuuming it up all the time and risking your health with the dust as well as wreaking your vacuum.

5. bugged-cdn

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 6:04:18
    #

Login to Send PM

Read and follow the labels to the letter on all the chemicals you're buying. Ensure your cat is safe as many pest products are harmful to pets. I've never heard of a "eco lemongrass" product that was effective against bed bugs. Is it safe for your pet ?

6. bedbugsbugme

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 11:04:01
    #

Login to Send PM

What is the brand name of this growth regulator you bought? From what I read they don't work on bed bugs and can actually make them worse.

I'm not an expert. Just sharing what I learned from my experience.
  7. mp7ski

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 13:15:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Ya, growth regulators don't really work for bed bugs. There was a study done that showed it had very little effect. You can find it easily by googling it. Don't waste your money. Drying is more important than washing. If washing clothes first, make sure they are all the way dry, then run them through the dryer for another 30+ minutes. If clothes are clean, no need to wash first, just dry.

I am not an expert, any advice I give should be considered as amateur advice and not taken as fact. I mean well with all my posts and try to give back. If you plan on using any of my advice, I suggest doing research into said advice to make sure it is in your best interest.
    Study on Thermal Death Points(pages 18-29 of pdf) : http://www.propanecouncil.org/uploadedFiles/Council/Research_and_Development/REP_12221%20Efficacy%20of%20Heat%20on%20Bed%20Bugs.pdf
    Study on Cimexa: http://www.pctonline.com/article/pct0814-silica-gel-research-bed-bugs/
  8. Bappida

newbite

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 13:38:22
    #

Login to Send PM

if you are planning on using Silica dust, get a respirator

9. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 2 years ago
    Tue May 23 2017 14:48:10
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't go camping. You're needed as "bait" in your bed each night. Nix the growth regulator. And post a pic of the bug for expert ID. Do it in reverse over.

Richard

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,988 posts in 49,598 topics over 153 months by 21,730 of 22,177 members. Latest: nadialula, Charybdea, Maria081