Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

HELP! Bug ID needed - bug fragment?

(6 posts)
  1. acs80

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 11:29:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there, and so sorry: I just posted something with this title a few moments ago, but now it seems to have disappeared from the list for some reason...apologies if it's now double posted.

I dealt with bed bugs a few years ago and was able to resolve the problem but am still, like many other survivors, haunted by BB anxiety and fear. I recently purchased some clothing on eBay and made sure that as soon as it came into my house, to immediately dispose of the packaging in my alleyway garbage cans and run the items through my Packtite for 4+ hours at 130 degrees or more. When I took one of the sweaters that I purchased out of the Packtite, I found this stuck to the inside. I immediately got scared, since it looks like a bug, or at least part of a bug. It's definitely dead, and very hard - at first I thought it was a small stone - but on further inspection, seems to have some organic-looking attributes that seem to be legs or feelers or something. Does this look like part of a dried out bed bug to anyone? I'm kind of panicking here. These photos are the best I could take - it's extremely small. The first shows what I think is the "top" of the "bug" and the second and third photos show the underside.

Thank you very much for your help!

FullSizeRender 32 by A CS, on Flickr

FullSizeRender 33 by A CS, on Flickr

FullSizeRender - 2019-03-13T111433.977 by A CS, on Flickr

2. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 12:30:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Nothing bed bug related, not even close. I'm not even sure that it's even an insect, looks like plant matter.

3. acs80

Posted 2 months ago
    Wed Mar 13 2019 12:41:43
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - thank you so much! I thought it looked bug-related because of those little "feeler" things around the edges. I wish the picture quality were better, but of course, right after I took the picture, my dog went over to where the sample was lying on the floor and either ate it or inhaled it!!! Either way - it disappeared somewhere into his body. Ugh! So my "specimen" is gone now. I am hoping you are right!!!

4. acs80

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 7:35:16
    #

Login to Send PM

Would anyone else possibly be able to confirm BigDummy's assessment? Man, I hate how these things throw you in a panic spiral. Thank you very much!

5. SalsaVince

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 7:38:38
    #

Login to Send PM

BD has seen a gazillion bed bugs before. When he says it's "not even close" to being one, you can rest assured that it's not. And for what it's worth (not much), I agree.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  6. loubugs

old timer

Posted 2 months ago
    Thu Mar 14 2019 12:40:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Appears to be plant matter. Obviously not a bed bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

288,575 posts in 48,150 topics over 149 months by 21,216 of 21,570 members. Latest: Lh0512, patmc3853, stennisplayer07