Help! Brought BBs home from a hotel, trying to prevent the spread

(6 posts)
  1. HaveBugsWillTravel

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 13:52:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi - I'm a newbie here. This is my first experience with bed bugs (or what I believe are bed bugs). We live in a detached, single family home and have never had any signs, bites, etc... I spent last weekend at a hotel where I did check the mattress but didn't see any bugs, castings, or feces stains. Every night since I've been home though, I have woken up with 6-12 new bites. My husband hasn't had any, but I've read that some people don't have a visible reaction anyway. I've looked at tons of photos and my bites definitely seem to be bed bugs...linear or closely grouped, light colored centers, not itchy or painful. So I'm assuming that I've brought some home with me from my trip.

We have inspected our mattress and box spring but don't see any signs of the bugs yet. I've just ordered a BBAlert Passive Monitor so that we can hopefully get some proof of bugs and call a professional while we are still in the early stages. However, in the meantime, is there any way I can prevent this from spreading to the rest of my home? I would love if we could at minimum keep this contained to our bedroom. I have three kids with endless clothes, toys, etc and I'm having anxiety thinking about having to sanitize every item in our home.

2. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 15:03:30
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi there!

First of all, please remember that bites don't always necessarily equal bed bugs.

However, if you're concerned you have them and want to prevent the spread to the rest of your house, even if you do have them, it sounds like if there's anything you caught them early, which is good.

So.. even though you may not have them... If you want to be on the cautious side and for peace of mind, I would say:

~Keep sleeping in your bedroom (definitely don't go sleep in other rooms)

~Have "safe" clothes & shoes that you wear out of the bedroom (clothes put in dryer on high heat and kept stored in ziplock bags)

~Try not to move things from your room into other rooms

~Try to keep kids out of your room

~ DO NOT set off a fogger, bug bomb or even spray insecticide spray, as that could repel and disperse them

Anyways, even if you do have em it sounds like you would've caught them really early and that's a good thing. Hoping you don't though and since you haven't found any of the "confirming signs" it's possible that you don't have em. Since you can't determine on skin reactions alone Good luck to you!

3. bbnewbie123

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 15:06:31
    #

Login to Send PM

The clothes thing might be overkill too but there ya go.

Also, if you do your laundry, bedding, etc. you could try to keep them in a sealed bag while carrying them to the washer and dryer.

4. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 15:27:54
    #

Login to Send PM

Like the previous poster said, reactions don't equal bites or at least bed bug bites. And the quality of the bites seems odd. Hoping an expert can weigh in on this. Because in order to get these many "bites" every night, you'd have to have a lot of bed bugs, is how I see things. Bed bugs don't feed every single night.

Have you inspected your luggage, shoes, purse, coat..the items that were in your hotel room? Where did you place your luggage upon your return home?

Is there any chance these reactions might not be coming from your house but from your seat at work, or a car? Might you have picked up a staph infection or scabies while on vacation...?m
    It's also flea season in some parts. Do you have pets? Do you do yard work? Fleas can be outside.

I'd check thoroughly including my living room furniture, but I'd put out flea traps, just in case. That's a LOT of "bites". I had bed bugs last year and at the WORST still only was bitten 2-4 times a few times a week. And that was an established population of several months.

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  5. HaveBugsWillTravel

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 15:51:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Hmmm, we don't have any pets so I wasn't thinking fleas. Just looked up pics of flea bites and scabies, and what I have don't look like either of those. Unfortunately since I didn't see any signs of bedbugs at the hotel, I wasn't very careful when I got home. Just threw my laundry in the hamper, shoes on the rack, and luggage in the closet

As I mentioned, I did order a passive monitor to hopefully find bedbugs if they are here, and I may see if I can find flea traps as well so I can rule that out. I just can't imagine continuing to wake up each morning with all these new 'bites'.

Wondering if we should try to isolate our bed, or is that overreacting at this point? Also is it worth it to see a doctor? From what I've read, it seems like they can't necessarily diagnose just by looking at the bites...?

6. Bentham

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu May 21 2015 16:39:38
    #

Login to Send PM

If saying 'isolate our bed' you mean to encase it, it is never a bad idea regardless of whether you have bugs now or not. It is a good prevention in case you bring them in the future given that BB are pandemic now on the world scale. I do not think it is overreacting unless you are on a VERY limited budget.

Seeing a doctor is also a good idea to confirm that this are bites not scabies or any other non-insect-related problem. But if these are bites the doctor won't be able to tell you the insect.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,909 posts in 50,061 topics over 155 months by 21,885 of 22,373 members. Latest: Delusionalparasitosis, kslone1006, Hex999