Help! Bed bugs/Bat bugs? Next Step?

(10 posts)
  1. Ali123

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 31 2018 17:39:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, I'm hoping someone can offer some advice on what to do next.
    Back in October I found a bug in the bathtub. I took it to an exterminator to have it identified and they confirmed it was a bed bug. They came out to inspect my home but could not find any signs of bed bugs and they thought it was odd I found it in the bathtub. He suggested getting encasements for the box springs and mattresses, which I did after his visit.
    In November, I found another bed bug moving across the bathroom floor. I checked all the beds and also found one bed bug skin under my son's pillow. I took the bug and the skin back to the exterminator. He confirmed it was a bed bug and bed bug skin. He came back out to do another inspection of my home but again could not find any signs. He suggested I try another exterminator to get a second set of eyes or hire a bed bug sniffing dog.
    Earlier this month, I had a bed bug sniffing dog come to my home. The dog marked my bed and my son's bed. The dog also checked the bathroom since that has been where I was finding them but did not mark that room. A different exterminator came out shortly after the dog to confirm the dogs findings but that exterminator could not find any evidence. He suggested doing one treatment on the two rooms the dog marked as having bed bugs for peace of mind. So on December 12th the company sent another exterminator to do a chemical treatment for my bed and my son's bed.
    Yesterday I found two bugs in the bathroom again, one on the floor and one on the ceiling.
    I don't know what to do. Every time I've called an exterminator they can't find any evidence. Only the dog has alerted for bed bugs. I think it's odd I keep finding them in the bathroom. There are no fecal or blood stains on the mattresses or sheets. My son has only complained about his arm itching once back in November, other than that no one has any bite marks (there are 4 us living here, 2 adults and 2 children). We live in a twin home, but the bathroom isn't on the attached side. I have mentioned to the exterminators if it is also possible they could be bat bugs. One never heard of bat bugs, the other said that they are uncommon in our area (NE Philadelphia). My attached neighbor did have bats back in August and had an exterminator come to remove the bats, but we also went on vacation in August, so who knows. I will try to attached pictures I took with my phone, so might not be the best quality. I still have the two bugs I caught yesterday in a plastic bag.

Bugs found yesterday in bathroom, one was on the floor, the other one was on the ceiling.
    20181231_155135 by Ali N, on Flickr

20181231_155404 by Ali N, on Flickr

Found running across bathroom floor.
    20181128_165714 by Ali N, on Flickr

Skin found under son's pillow.
    20181128_165526 by Ali N, on Flickr

2. SalsaVince

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Dec 31 2018 17:51:35
    #

Login to Send PM

The pros say that if you find them in the bathroom, that usually indicates that they're coming from next door or they are some relative of the bed bug like bat bugs. The fact that they don't seem to be that interested in you or your beds also seems to match bat bugs and if your neighbor had a confirmed issue with bats, that makes it carry even more weight. One of the pros like Lou will confirm based on your pictures. One that you didn't include here but that I saw you posted on that photo site is [this]. I think I see some hairs around the body which could indicate bat bugs. I just wanted to make sure that one is shown here too for them to see.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles."
    Not an expert. Just a survivor who's still learning.
    Vince
  3. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 1 2019 9:06:41
    #

Login to Send PM

SalsaVince - 15 hours ago  » 
    The pros say that if you find them in the bathroom, that usually indicates that they're coming from next door or they are some relative of the bed bug like bat bugs. The fact that they don't seem to be that interested in you or your beds also seems to match bat bugs and if your neighbor had a confirmed issue with bats, that makes it carry even more weight. One of the pros like Lou will confirm based on your pictures. One that you didn't include here but that I saw you posted on that photo site is [this]. I think I see some hairs around the body which could indicate bat bugs. I just wanted to make sure that one is shown here too for them to see.

Ali123: These are large picture size but too bad you couldn't get closer to the bugs for the picture. That way they could be more focused when zooming in. They look more like bat bugs than bed bugs based on pictures and also capture location. Neighbor had bats and bats removed. They used excluder sytem? Most likely didn't clean out bat roosting areas and bat bugs need to eat so they are crawling about. I'd be interested in getting any samples.
    "We live in a twin home, but the bathroom isn't on the attached side. I have mentioned to the exterminators if it is also possible they could be bat bugs. One never heard of bat bugs, the other said that they are uncommon in our area (NE Philadelphia). My attached neighbor did have bats back in August and had an exterminator come to remove the bats, but we also went on vacation in August, so who knows. "
    Another question: Neighbor and your exterminators were different? Also canine detection would alert on both species of bug.

Professional entomologist/arachnologist. I consult on all matters dealing with insects and arachnids, including those of natural history and biology to pest management and forensic entomology investigations.
  4. Ali123

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 1 2019 19:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thank you Vince and Lou for the replies!

When taking the photos I tried getting closer to the bugs but just couldn't get the camera to focus. I'd be happy to send you one of them. I'll also try again to see if I can get a better photo.

Different exterminators...I'm not exactly sure what company my neighbor used to have the bats removed or what method was used to do it.

5. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 1 2019 22:24:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ali123 - 2 hours ago  » 
    Thank you Vince and Lou for the replies!
    When taking the photos I tried getting closer to the bugs but just couldn't get the camera to focus. I'd be happy to send you one of them. I'll also try again to see if I can get a better photo.
    Different exterminators...I'm not exactly sure what company my neighbor used to have the bats removed or what method was used to do it.

I texted you via PM about address.

6. paulfoel

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 7:09:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry to jump in on this...

We did have bed bugs and we thought they'd all gone. Last few days we've found a few live bugs in the bathroom (ensuite next to bedroom).

I understand its generally rare to find bed bugs in bathroom. BUT we have no neighbours (detached house) and no bats or anything (that I can find).

Like I said, no signs in bedroom at all.... Bit of a co-incidence to have bed bugs and now bat bugs?

7. Ali123

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Wed Jan 2 2019 22:50:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Lou!

Also, here are some closer photos if they help.

20190102_220818 by Ali N, on Flickr

20190102_221006 by Ali N, on Flickr

8. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Thu Jan 3 2019 5:52:43
    #

Login to Send PM

Nice pictures of bat bugs.

9. loubugs

old timer

Posted 10 months ago
    Mon Jan 14 2019 18:00:37
    #

Login to Send PM

Ali123 - 1 week ago  » 
    Thanks Lou!
    Also, here are some closer photos if they help.

Thanks for the bug.

10. Ali123

newbite

Posted 10 months ago
    Tue Jan 15 2019 21:31:55
    #

Login to Send PM

No problem. Thank you for identifying it.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,805 posts in 50,043 topics over 155 months by 21,876 of 22,362 members. Latest: jnnafnlys01, simo7, Datnguyen