Help!!!!! At that point of doing stuff myself

(10 posts)
  1. BettyA

newbite

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Sep 5 2008 14:36:36
    #

Login to Send PM

I can't even go through the whole scenario at the moment. Too tired. 8 months later - everything encased, bagged, plastic storage bins, laundry all the time, drying galore, newest exterminater really good; not perfect - last night I found a very dead engorged little fella on the floor next to my daughter's bed. The red blood turned to brown. Must have been there a while, however, I vacuum frequently so I'm thinking its coming front next store, yet again. I need to calk the walls everywhere in my house. So, what do I buy, where do I buy it and what do I do with it. PLEASE HELP!!! Can't afford any more exterminating - already spent over $3,000 in exterminating costs.

2. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Sep 5 2008 14:45:45
    #

Login to Send PM

Lots of my lessons learned on caulking/sealing in this thread....

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/caulking-to-the-max

Hey nobugs, should we have a caulking FAQ? What me to draft one up?

Jim

3. DougSummersMS

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Sep 5 2008 15:13:17
    #

Login to Send PM

You can purchase caulk & a caulking gun at any hardware store, home improvement store or Wal Mart. Silicone caulk is reasonably priced & is available in clear or various colors.

4. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 11 years ago
    Fri Sep 5 2008 15:40:47
    #

Login to Send PM

You want to watch what kind of caulk you get. The 100% silicone caulks are not paintable so on baseboards, shelves and wall joints it is a lousy choice because if you repaint those spots will not take.

My preference for most is the DAP Elastometric 230, which is available in many colors including clear yet is paintable and very flexible.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=14&SubcatID=3

The DAP Alex Plus comes in a crystal clear that flat out rocks for vanishing on wood.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=12&SubcatID=3

For large gaps I found the DAP spray foam seal excels over the Hiltite and Great Stuff foam sealants.

http://www.dap.com/product_details.aspx?BrandID=20&SubcatID=4

There may be other caulks that have similar properties or even better from other makers but ask your hardware guy.

Jim

5. ukulelejack

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 20 2009 11:13:55
    #

Login to Send PM

A caulking FAQ would be great, SpideyJG. I am about to start doing that soon. I am waiting 2 weeks from last treatment to do so and I am in need of advice. My PCO is not very communicative--he tells me to caulk right away after just the first treatment, but I think I should wait. Also, they did not do the second bedroom in my apartment, because no one is sleeping there now. But I have a roommate coming in a month and I'd like to dust and caulk that room and everywhere, as a precaution.

Can someone tell me exactly which dust to use before caulking? (My PCO used something that dries like white chalky snow.) And should I only do the baseboard cracks with the dust or drill holes in the wall and blow it in there? I REALLY want to seal myself in as much as possible and soon. All advice is much appreciated--thanks!

UJ

6. DrFrank

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 20 2009 14:22:58
    #

Login to Send PM

You think they're coming from next door? You should check the smoke seals on your exterior doors. For at least the walls that are shared with your neighbors, pull off the face plates on your electrical outlets and light switches and fill any voids around the boxes with caulk or foam. If the electrical wires leave gaps where they enter the boxes, fill those too.

Obviously, be sure to turn off the power at the breaker box, first, and test every wire in every cage for power before you touch anything.

Ask at the hardware store for the right caulk to and expanding foam to use; you don't want stuff that's going to violate the electrical code.

Go through the same process for pipes penetrating those walls.

You should probably go through the same process for your ceiling.

7. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 20 2009 14:37:51
    #

Login to Send PM

I've written a ridiculous amount of stuff on caulking and sealing in the weapons and ideas section.

Don't have the time to rewrite it but you need to clean the surfaces before caulking to assure adhesion.

There are caulks that are flexible, paintable and come in many colors to blend well. The Dap 230 series is what I mainly used along with the Dap foam sealants. The crystal clear stuff shrinks like a mofo and will rust metal.

Watch the Great Stuff and other foams that expand far too much. There are high temp sealants for around heating and cooling stuff.

You got to hit every gap in the house. There is more than you think there is. water and gas pipes, drains, outlets for phone, cable TV, and electrical.

I'd write an FAQ but some schmuck would copy it all out and make a self published book and gig folks $10 a shot.

Jim

8. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Mon Jul 20 2009 14:40:45
    #

Login to Send PM

DrFrank - 15 minutes ago  » 
    If the electrical wires leave gaps where they enter the boxes, fill those too.

That would actually violate a code from what I found. The wires need to expand and contract so sealing the conduit is out. You can seal around the box, dust the box lightly, apply dust to the plate and seal it from the outside.

Jim

9. ukulelejack

newbite

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 12:18:55
    #

Login to Send PM

I am having trouble finding the "weapons and ideas" section. There is a lot of helpful info on this site and taking it all in gets confusing. Could you insert the links here so I can find the info on basic dusting and caulking? I'm trying to answer three basic questions:
    1. What dust should I use? DE or some brand?
    2. How soon after dusting do I caulk?
    3. How do I clean the dust before caulking?

Thanks much!

10. spideyjg

oldtimer

Posted 10 years ago
    Tue Jul 21 2009 12:56:04
    #

Login to Send PM

ukulelejack - 36 minutes ago  » 
    I am having trouble finding the "weapons and ideas" section.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/forum/tools-weapons-ideas

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,655 posts in 49,519 topics over 153 months by 21,698 of 22,141 members. Latest: carterscott, ohkayiguess, shawnpayne1982