Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed bug bites, skin, etc.

Help! Are these bed bug bites? (picture)

(4 posts)
  1. ltdam

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 19 2010 0:31:52
    #

Login to Send PM

I've recently been getting bites on my arms, back and legs. We overturned the mattress to look for signs of bed bugs. We checked the head board, the mattress and the box spring but found nothing. We vacuumed the area and washed and dryed the sheets and blankets but I've continued finding bites. We used to have BB at our previous home but have moved since then and it's been 4 years. I'm worried the damn things are back though. I recently found out that a friend of mine had bed bugs. Theres a few bites on the back of my leg that swelled and throbbed a bit. Please help! I'm not sure whether they are bb bites or not. Here is a picture:

http://i740.photobucket.com/albums/xx44/ltdam/DSCF0930.jpg?t=1290144534

The bites are the dark red spots.
    Our home is brand new. We had it built for us and it's only 4 years old.
    HELP! Are they bb bites?!

2. nycyn

Posted 8 years ago
    Fri Nov 19 2010 5:55:32
    #

Login to Send PM

Assuming you know how to find and confirm bedbugs the best default for your mental health is to assume they are not. Hardly anybody can diagnose bed bug bites by looking at your skin. If you see the usual signs of the critters themselves then you may actually have been bitten by a bed bug, and even then your skin may be distressed by something else entirely.

Hope this helps.

3. Raithynn

newbite

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 10:39:34
    #

Login to Send PM

That looks exactly like what I have!
    4 areas, just like that, showed up over the course of 4 days. (None yesterday, thank god!)

I would LOVE to know just what the heck it is!

4. buggyinsocal

oldtimer

Posted 8 years ago
    Wed Nov 24 2010 11:33:48
    #

Login to Send PM

ltdam and Raithynn,

No one can conclusively identify bites as being from bed bugs just by looking at the bite.

The best dermatologists and other experts can tell whether a bite has been made by any one member of a certain group of insects (I don't remember the name of that group of insects.)

That's why looking for signs like fecal matter, cast skins, and bugs or eggs is such a big part of the process of getting treatment for bed bugs.

I understand that especially having had them before, the mere thought of them can put you into high panic mode. But there have been a lot of advances in the last four years, so even if it is bed bugs (which it likely isn't, statistically speaking), treatment shouldn't be as bad as it was the last time around.

For example, while you're anxiously waiting for confirmation that you trust that you don't have bed bugs, remember the following:

1. There are new passive monitoring devices that can help. David Cain's monitors (which I'm yet again blanking on the name of) can be installed on beds and couches. Not only can they help detect bugs, but they may remove most if not all of an early infestation when used properly.

2. Don't overlook the fact that you may have been bitten by beg bugs somewhere else and not brought a hitch hiker home. I'm fairly sure that about 3 months after heat treatment, I got bitten by bed bugs at a movie theater. I didn't end up with a reinfestation--just a miserable few weeks of being worried I had new roommates.

Hang in there. I'll cross my fingers that in both cases, it's good news for you.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula