Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Detection / Identification of bed bugs

Help. Anxious, stressed - need peace of mind from experts.

(9 posts)
  1. Cannotdeal

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 12:16:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Hiiii ok so I made a post a few says and got an answer that

I was just wondering if someone with experience can tell me what my next steps should be.

Two weeks ago 2 bites showed up on my chest - because of the location I was inclined to believe that I got the bite after staying over at a friend’s place but that had been about a week and a half earlier.. I heard bed bugs only bite exposed skin. I wasn’t wearing a shirt and that’s where the bites were. I chocked it up to my friend having the BB’s as they had them on the past. And I went through the whole process of getting bites before, however these ones were not itchy af all but has the same characteristics as the ones I had previously.

5 days following that one single bite showed up on my arm. I noticed a spot on my
    Nose also but figured it was just a Zit (I wear a lot of make up)

3 days later my nose feels weird and there’s, what I think, is a bite there also.

After the initial 2 bites showed up I started sleeping fully clothed. Head to literal toe. I cleaned my apartment, I tossed a lot of stuff. Cleaned most of my clothes (my closet isn’t near my bed - should I be cleaning those clothes hanging as well? They’ve been basically un touched since this started)

I didn’t stop sleeping in my bed. I bought a mattress encasement, I put all of my bed stuff through the wash and dryer every couple of days. Tbh, I even went and bought a new bed and bed frame (it was much over due anyway)

We are at week 3 since the initial bites showed up. So in total 3 visible bites, potentially 2 on my nose (5) and there’s a pin prick on my neck but I’ve been a little OCD with showering that I think that might be a dry skin issue.

I know this sounds insane. But am I doing everything right in Case it is me who has a bug? Is it possible that these bites are delayed from my friends place 3 weeks ago?

Can the bugs travel on house pets? They aren’t scratching more than they usually do that I’m noticing. My landlord said no one else has complained and recommend I do a deep clean and wash everything and get a mattress encasement. He did say he would help get an exterminator in if I really needed to, for a fair price.

Thanks all.

2. keephopealive

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 12:35:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Based on what I've seen on here, directing your post at experts may limit your responses a bit.....there are some excellent experts here but I wouldn't discount other peoples ability to offer you reassurance and support based on their own experience.

You may be able to find a reputable local PCO to carry out a free inspection.

You can also avail yourself of the excellent info on this site and do a thorough inspection yourself.

Either way, monitoring using either climb ups or passive monitors (cardboard harborages) would probably offer you some peace of mind.

3. Cannotdeal

newbite

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 12:54:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry totally wasn’t discrediting the wonderful person who responded. I guess after doing research on here I’m a little confused still as to what I might be doing right or wrong and that’s essentially what I was looking for guidance on.

4. keephopealive

Posted 2 months ago
    Sun Nov 18 2018 14:03:42
    #

Login to Send PM

I think at this stage the best thing you can do to attain some peace of mind is to switch your focus from any bite reactions you may be having over to monitoring or getting a professional inspection instead.

The problem with bite like reactions is that there are numerous possible causes and even those that would appear to be bites may in fact be caused by things such as other insects, reactions to allergens or some other systemic cause. If your focus remains on the bites rather than on confirming the presence of the bugs, you can easily drive yourself mad with the uncertainty of it all (as I can testify)

I'd recommend purchasing either climbups or passive monitors for the beds and sofa/chair or anywhere you are stationary for a significant period of time. As a rule bedbugs tend to seek shelter close to the host so by using these devices you can further concentrate their presence to an easily searchable area.

You can also inspect common areas such as the bed frame, headboard, mattress seams and wall/floor junctions nearby. Also the underside of sofas/chairs as well as seams and zips on cushions are a good place to check. Look for signs such as tiny black dots (fecal traces), cast skins and obviously live or dead bugs. They are very good at hiding but over time, the signs should become clear if they are there.

If you do all this then based on the first mark showing up on your body 2 weeks ago, you'll be catching the issue VERY early on; and it could well be that there is another cause which is yet to become apparent.

You've already had confirmation from your landlord that they'll gladly assist in resolving the issue if required, so even in the worst case scenario this should be a temporary issue which will hopefully be in your rear view mirror before you know it.

Very best of luck.

5. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Nov 19 2018 11:08:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Why not ask your friend if they have a bed bug infestation? From what you've posted here I don't think bed bugs are the cause of your skin irritations.

6. Cannotdeal

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Dec 2 2018 11:07:19
    #

Login to Send PM

BigDummy - 1 week ago  » 
    Why not ask your friend if they have a bed bug infestation? From what you've posted here I don't think bed bugs are the cause of your skin irritations.

Because the last time this happened and I did ask, the friend lied about it and I found out from another family member. I understand the next question would be “why are you still friends”... :s

Update - I went through the packing process, cleaning everything getting ready for treatment. I’ve been living out of garbage bags constantly heat treating my clothes. This past week was the first week I slept without being fully covered (t shirts opposed to sweaters), i got my apartment treated (out of my own pocket - my landlord said because no one else had the problem that I had to pay for treatment?)

So today is Sunday. Treatment was on Friday. When I went to sleep last night I noticed a welt starting to show up. I know what bed bug bites look like and I’m positive this is one.

Even if I’m wrong - is it possible that I have ONE bug that only feeds every week or so? And is it possible that this was from earlier in the week but hopefully now it’s dead?

Ughhhh. I cannot live like this. Like so done with this. I literally can’t eat or sleep. I was starting to feel better until this bite showed up. I just don’t have any help, or anyone to ask for help from that isn’t going to cost me another 500 dollars. I’m going to visit a family member in a couple of weeks and I’m debating cancelling the trip bevauss I don’t want to spread anything.

7. Cannotdeal

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Sun Dec 2 2018 11:18:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Also sorry I meant to comment saying I am monitoring for bugs. I did see a tiny tiny rust coloured mark on my mattress encasement as I was removing my bed sheets to clean. I went into some stores to find traps but they were al out so I was coming back on here to try to find the better brands to use that perhaps I could order from amazon.

I understand I sound like an insane person. But it’s hard when I have no one to talk to about it. And I have no help and I feel like most companies I call, even the man that my landlord referenced me to, gave me no additional peace of mind because he barely spoke when he came in to treat.

8. Cannotdeal

newbite

Posted 1 month ago
    Mon Dec 3 2018 22:49:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Here’s a pic if the stain I found in my mattress casing. Not sure if this can be ID’d? It’s mkre rust coloured than black.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/80700804@N07/shares/ys7N0e

9. bed-bugscouk

oldtimer

Posted 1 month ago
    Tue Dec 4 2018 8:44:47
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi,

The image is 100% not bed bug faecal. It is from oxidised red blood based on the colour and not deposited as a drop based on the dispersal pattern.

For monitoring the FAQ covers it well and although biased as the inventor the Passive Monitor has been one of my primary tools since 2009 and its acknowledged as the only system with a track record of working on Hotels.

Hope that helps.

David Cain
    Bed Bugs Limited

If you have found this information helpful please consider leaving feedback on social media via google+ or FaceBook or by like/loving the images.

In accordance with the AUP and FTC (legal requirements) I openly disclose my vested interest in Passive Monitors as the inventor and patent holder. Since 2009 they have become an integral part in how we resolve bed bug infestations. I also have a professional relationship with PackTite in that they distribute my product under their own branding. I do not however receive any financial remuneration for any comments I make about products.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

283,867 posts in 47,243 topics over 145 months by 20,836 of 21,126 members. Latest: pinkfoxes, Tomwilson28, aeb19