Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Help about poisons! Question, somewhat urgent.

(7 posts)
  1. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 10 2014 18:10:23
    #

Login to Send PM

My apartment was treated again today, with 'different' chemicals. It's now 6 hours later and I am back home and it smells like bug spray... should I be worried about letting my children sleep here? The sheet says 'Exciter, Evergreen Dust, Lambda Star CS' were used.

Not a pro here. Call me Jon Snow...... for I know nothing, except what I've experienced.
  2. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 10 2014 18:29:09
    #

Login to Send PM

And there is dust piled into my electrical outlets that has spilled onto the floor... should I clean this up?

3. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 10 2014 19:11:19
    #

Login to Send PM

I smelled it when I first came in, I no longer smell it 'strongly' but I do smell it faintly. I'm considering packing up my baby and taking him away and will definitely do that if no one has any better suggestions/information. I'm sorry to be so rushed/demanding, I just feel like unless I know it's ok, it's not ok.

4. sleepyhead22

Posted 5 years ago
    Fri Oct 10 2014 22:00:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not an expert and don't know what those are. However, you can Google the product and MSDS and you will get the safety regulations. That's what I did for the products used in my apartment. Hope that helps.

5. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Oct 11 2014 9:01:00
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear misery & others,

A few comments on this and about pesticides in general:

> Certain insecticide products contain what are called VOCs (volatile organic compounds) and these are primarily causing odor and what people are likely smelling.

> A competent pest pro would inquire as to the occupants of a home including: age, number of, pre-existing health conditions, pets, allergies, pesticide concerns, etc. prior to applying pesticides within a home.

> Exciter is a product that contains VOCs and is odorous. As such, I do not recommend it's use in homes where VOCs and odor can become an issue as it is now in your place.

> Exciter is a synergist which is used primarily for flushing and knock down of pests. When used as a tank mix it basically helps the other product, in this case the "lambda star" to kill pests better. If used alone in a test like scenario, many of the cockroaches tested would "turn belly up" (i.e. knock down) and most would subsequently recover given sufficient time.

> Below is the link for the exciter label. You can see that it contains natural pyrethrin plus PBO.

http://www.zoecon.com/uploads/products/ExciteR-label.pdf

Think of PBO as a "tear gas" which is exactly how it was explained to us in college in pesticide and toxicology class. It's nasty, smelly, irritating stuff. Not good for eyes, noses and mucous membranes, etc. However, PBO is a staple of the insecticide industry and used in many combination type products.

Pyrethrins are plant based natural insecticides made from chrysanthemum flowers, mostly in Africa. In fact, certain conditions in Africa cause production limitations and the global supply of pyrethrin to fall which panics the industry and causes prices to rise.

While pyrethrin can kill insects and other pests, it is not as potent as other insecticide products and many insect pests are resistant to it. It's a natural product that is non-persistent and often used in food handling locations due to these characteristics.

As stated, pyrethrin is derived from plants and can be problematic for folks with allergies.

Now, back to YOUR situation:

> The odor alone is not indicative of a huge concern but is still a concern if it bothers you.

> An activated charcoal type air purifier filter type thing can be used to absorb organic odors and clean the air.

> You can clean using suitable cleaning agents but NOT odorous type cleaners ad then you'd have another source of odor.

> There should NOT be any excess dusts present as a result of a professional application. Such dust should be removed if any.

> It is NOT your responsibility to clean up excess pesticide applied or remove odors which resulted from same. If this remains a concern, you can contact the pest pro to discuss the situation with them.

Please advise if any remaining questions or concerns.

Sorry this happened to you and hope this helps ! pjb

6. misery

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Oct 11 2014 11:52:38
    #

Login to Send PM

P Bello, thank you. I wound up opening every window and door for a few (freezing cold) hours to allow circulation, then closed it all back up and left for a little bit. Came home, smell was markedly improved, so I allowed my children to come home and put them to sleep figuring I was just being extra sensitive and a lot of things I had read said that smelling some sort of smell is normal. I don't smell it now, but I did open the doors and windows again.

THANK you for the suggestion on the MSDS SleepyHead, it helped soothe my internal mom-beast.

As far as the dust goes, i'll just vacuum what I can and clean the rest with gloved hands and wet paper towels. Thank you for letting me know that was okay, I was extremely worried my infant would think of it as 'finger paint' so I pushed furniture over the piles that spilled onto the floor to protect little fingers.

Really really really really really appreciate the responses. I don't like not knowing what to do in those cases!

7. P Bello

oldtimer

Posted 5 years ago
    Sat Oct 11 2014 12:26:07
    #

Login to Send PM

OK, be careful and good luck ! pjb

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

295,802 posts in 49,808 topics over 154 months by 21,798 of 22,264 members. Latest: ireallydontwantbedbugs, bbinquiry_1, Smar1991