Hello, my name is Jerry and I have bedbugs

(39 posts)
  1. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2015 17:03:13
    #

Login to Send PM

I feel like I'm at a AA bedbug meeting here. These critters are horrible enough to make a normal person OCD and an OCD person DOA.

I've burned my mattress and box spring and got a new one. I've soaked my headboard in bleach. I've put cups under the legs of my bed post and filled them with baby oil. I wake up in the middle of the night and spend an hour or two looking for them. I've tested them with many proven insect killers and unless they get soaked they shake it off and live on. I've vacuumed so many times I can't count. I've sprinkled diatomaceous earth and soak everything around the bed with alcohol. I wake up in the morning and put all my bed clothes in the dryer and run it at 160+F for at least 20 minutes. I spray lavender and cedar oil on my new mattress and all over the floor. I've put several of them on a sticky glue pad that catches spiders, lizards, and mice and they crawl off.

I'm at the point I'm amazed that such a resilient critter can exist. They are like a combination of factious characters.... first, like Santa Clause, they know if you are sleeping and they know if you are awake. They are like Wiley Coyote, you can blow them up, run over them with a truck and drop an anvil on them... you can even put them in the microwave and they live to re-appear the next night.

BUT... they are like the Wicked Witch of the North.... a little water... or ANY liquid will drown them in a few seconds.

I'm the only one who lives here and I have no pets so unless they suck MY blood they will eventually starve... and they haven't starved. I still find 3 to 10 on my bed most days.

...and another thing that puzzles me.... They are often full of blood yet they don't attack each other even when starving... WHY not ???? Scientist should look into this.

Where to go from here? I have bought a powerful hand sanitizing UV light. I'll test it on them... and I'll slowly heat my oven and see what temperature actually kills them. Until then I guess I'll keep picking them like removing leaves from a tree.

This is ridiculous. They can detect co2 and follow a person from room to room or even apartment to apartment. They have a complicated dual system of tubes that inject anticoagulant and topical pain killer and a separate tube that draws the blood. The females have NO sexual openings... they are inseminated by piercing their belly.

Someone should send ISIS a few boxes of these bugs.

2. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2015 21:14:34
    #

Login to Send PM

I heated about 5 bugs in the oven checking the temp with my gun and they were very active around 110 I cranked it up to 125 and they died. I cranked it on up to 200 and they just dried up. I had read that they would pop at about 130 but I took them nearly to boiling and never got the pleasure of seeing one explode.

3. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Wed Feb 18 2015 21:14:44
    #

Login to Send PM

Very colorful commentary!

Take issue with your statement :

"BUT... they are like the Wicked Witch of the North.... a little water... or ANY liquid will drown them in a few seconds."

According to bed bug expert Richard Naylor it takes 24 hours for bedbugs to die by cold soaking in water. The eggs on the other hand can survive even after 24 hours.

Can you post a picture of one of the bedbugs? We have experts here who like to visually confirm what we're talking about.

Richard

4. AbsolutelyFreaking

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Thu Feb 19 2015 13:48:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Dear Jerry,

Cute/Funny Post! Here are a few of my non-expert/non-professional thoughts regarding it:

dead.bugs -  » 
    These critters are horrible enough to make a normal person OCD and an OCD person DOA.

Funny! (But oh so true for many!)

dead.bugs -  » 
    I've burned my mattress and box spring and got a new one.

Ok, it is usually not recommended by the professionals on here to throw out (or, ummmm, burn) furniture, mattresses, etc., as most can be treated. In some situations, it may be cost effective if the furniture or mattresses are old and/or need to be replaced anyway. But, it sounds like you are still dealing with bed bugs so throwing out burning the mattresses didn’t work anyway?

dead.bugs -  » 
    I've soaked my headboard in bleach.

YIKES!

dead.bugs -  » 
    I've tested them with many proven insect killers and unless they get soaked they shake it off and live on.

I’m curious, which ones?

dead.bugs -  » 
    I've vacuumed so many times I can't count.

It is my understanding that vacuuming like a crazy person just to be vacuuming doesn’t really do much good and will only wear you out . . . you have to vacuum where the bed bugs are (duh, huh?) . . . but what I mean is vacuuming for bed bugs is a “contact sport” and you're vacumming to “suck up the bed bugs.” Here’s a quote from one of the professionals:

P Bello -  » 
    Yes, vacuum. However, rather than vacuum everywhere which takes a lot of time and effort, limit your vacuuming to the places where bed bugs hide and harbor such that you're actually sucking up and removing bed bugs.

And here’s (what I think is) an informative thread regarding vacuuming:

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/vacuuming-daily-necessary

dead.bugs -  » 
    I've sprinkled diatomaceous earth and soak everything around the bed with alcohol.

Careful with the alcohol, it’s very flammable while wet . . . and it's merely a contact killer, so it will only kill bed bugs you actually "hit" with it. A lot of the professionals are recommending Cimexa over DE now. Also, my understanding of DE is that it should be “lightly dusted,” as you shouldn’t even see it, not sprinkled. FAQ on DE:

http://bedbugger.com/2007/03/30/faqde/

dead.bugs -  » 
    They are like a combination of factious characters.... first, like Santa Clause, they know if you are sleeping and they know if you are awake. They are like Wiley Coyote, you can blow them up, run over them with a truck and drop an anvil on them... you can even put them in the microwave and they live to re-appear the next night..

Funny also!

dead.bugs -  » 
    ... you can even put them in the microwave and they live to re-appear the next night..

Whoa. Wait! What? What are you putting in the microwave and how long you zapping them for? Seriously, microwaving bed bugs (or items containing bed bugs) has never been recommended by any of the professionals participating here.

dead.bugs -  » 
    BUT... they are like the Wicked Witch of the North.... a little water... or ANY liquid will drown them in a few seconds.

Hmmmm . . . what exactly are you doing? Accordingly to the experts/professionals that posted on the thread regarding drowning bed bugs . . . that is not true.

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/will-bedbugs-drown

dead.bugs -  » 
    I'm the only one who lives here and I have no pets so unless they suck MY blood they will eventually starve... and they haven't starved. I still find 3 to 10 on my bed most days.

Are you in a single family home, not apartment or multi-unit dwelling? It has been stated that – in lab settings – bed bugs can live up to 18 months without feeding (one professional on here (KQ) states that he doesn’t believe bed bugs could live that long “out in the wild” (your home). You say you are still finding them in your bed, are you not sleeping in your bed? Have your bed bugs gone 18 months without feeding?

dead.bugs -  » 
    They are often full of blood yet they don't attack each other even when starving... WHY not ????

I seem to remember that topic being discussed here before, but I can’t “find” it. However, I **think** I remember that a few of the experts said they have seen bed bugs “feed” off of another bed bug. (But I could just be making that sh*t up!)

dead.bugs -  » 
    Where to go from here? . . . . and I'll slowly heat my oven and see what temperature actually kills them.

Can you not hire a professional to eradicate your bed bugs? The oven is not recommended for treating items . . . one reason being that for heat treating items for bed bugs, the heat source needs to be convection and not conductive.

Whew! This is A LOT longer than I was anticipating when I started this!

Again, funny post! And sorry you’re here! . . . but we need to work out what you’re doing and to point you toward the correct things to do.

As Richard56 said, can you post a photo for verification purposes; how long have you been dealing with bed bugs; do you live in an apartment, multi-unit dwelling, or single family home, etc.

5. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 2:05:17
    #

Login to Send PM

I live in a house on a farm, far away from any other people.

I just put a glass with a few in it in the microwave and tested it on 10 seconds and they lived. I tested again for 15 seconds and they lived. I set it on one minute and they died. I believe they may make 30 seconds if not already stressed by shorter test.

There were a few reasons for testing the microwave...

First, the military has a microwave like device they can use to disburse a crowd of people... it makes them feel hot inside and they have to move away... it will even get the enemy to evacuate a building so they don't have to go in and risk getting shot.

Second, years ago I saw a youtube video where some college idiot took the door off his microwave and put his hand inside and turned it on. He immediately snatched it out and started screaming.

I surmised that microwave was harmful to life... and I think most foods are bombarded with microwave to kill any insects.

I may take the door off my microwave and without plugging it in, turn it on and put some bugs outside in a jar and then leave the room and plug in the extension cord and see if they die... if so, I'll put it under my bed and let it run all day when I'm out of the house. We'll see how they like that.

Some of the chemicals I have used thoroughly.... and they still show up, include...

Gentrol... the bed bug poison all the experts recommend... two gallons almost used up over 6 months
    Ortho Bug Be Gone... that kills almost all insects.
    Forbid... kills spider mites and other hard to kill critters
    Black Flag ant and roach spray
    Flea and Bed Bug poison from Hot Shot

...and those are just the ones I remember off the top of my head.

6 months in the outdoors with 20+ days in freezing nights... as low as the teens don't kill them
    All those liquids kill them quickly if soaked.. including alcohol and a diluted bleach solution and just plain cold water... they drown quickly.

I don't think I need a photo... I've seen almost all the youtube videos of them ...I could probably spot one on a football player's helmet while watching a game on tv.

Oh... I have a very good magnifying system and when I put some DE in a jar with some and shook them up and looked at them just at 10x I could see they looked like someone who fell off a motorcycle and got skinned up on the pavement... they also bleed externally. I guess that's the reason it's put in livestock feed for the purpose of killing intestinal parasites and their eggs.

For a simple water test.. just to see if they can swim or float even for a few seconds, I put a few on some dryer lint and then put it in a bowl of water (room temp) and the lint slowly soaked and the bugs ...none of them... showed any signs of abandoning the ship... floating or swimming or even trying to walk out on the bottom. They died then and there.

My conclusion.... they lay their eggs in walls etc... so with a new bed and the bed post in a liquid they will not easily get their dinner when they hatch out. Yes, plastic bed liner keeps them out of the box springs. ...maybe I'll keep them away from me. I still spray lavender and cedar oil on the mattress every few days.

Next test... get my oven to about 110 and empty a vacuum cleaner bag into a pan and see what shows up... they get very active at that temp.

Oh... I saw they make a sack you can sleep in... and take it when you travel... that they can't get through... except at your neck. I guess I don't want to force them to feed on my face... they seem to like legs better. Men have an advantage detecting them because they do tickle the leg hair... that women don't usually have. When they are felt crawling you'll probably kick and kill some, leaving a blood streak on your sheets.

I guess that thought is positive enough to leave on.

6. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 9:02:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Let us know how that day long door-less microwave test works out for you...

7. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 9:14:51
    #

Login to Send PM

Jerry

LOL. If your purpose is to entertain and go where no man or bug gone has gone before, you're really doing a great job and I look forward to your next post!

That said, if your purpose is actually to get rid of bedbugs from your home, there are some less off the bell curve but proven methods that resolve the problem usually in one to three treatments.

Don't know how long you been at it but if it's more than a few months maybe that should tell you that your unorthodox methods are not really solving the problem.

Just be safe. Some of the things you're doing worry me in that respect.

Richard

8. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 11:13:36
    #

Login to Send PM

Jerry:
    I'm thinking they'd have to be plump freshly feed b.bugs @ about 3-5 minutes in microwave of 1,000 to 1500 watts to

never got the pleasure of seeing one explode.

Not suggesting anything just thinking about the beans I now need to clean off my microwave walls & your torture testing came to mind.

You have truly taken testing & turned it into a whole new sport.
    Humm ? Abs may have said that already, i'd have to back track to see,..

Anyway have you given sound waves any thought? or getting a Geiger Counter for the testing site, it"d be a shame to hear you've nuked your self & the b.bug morphed in to the future!

9. robinsmom

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 11:34:03
    #

Login to Send PM

Um
    I'm surprised no one pointed out the thing about Gentrol...its been linked to increased egg laying in bed bugs. The other stuff is all over the counter? If you wanted to go DIY, why not ask a pro here what direction they think you ought to take?

I'm not an expert just a dumb struggling bed bugger like every body else.
  10. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 11:45:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Anyway have you given sound waves any thought? or getting a Geiger Counter for the testing site, it"d be a shame to hear you've nuked your self & the b.bug morphed in to the future!

Brundlefly

11. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 12:39:07
    #

Login to Send PM

I'm not finding them in my bed recently but last night one was on the night stand... looking at my bed ... probably thinking "I wish I had a toothpick... I would pole vault over there to that bed and have lunch.

He is in a jar now... awaiting my next torture test. He already survived over ten types of industrial pesticides and walked through so much DE that it looks like it snowed on my floor.

Since they feed late at night I think I'll just sleep in the daytime... yeah... that'll work.

12. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 12:55:35
    #

Login to Send PM

First... the bugs I put in my microwave were in a glass jar and they never "exploded" ...they just died and looked "crispy" under magnification. Also, I don't put food against any surface of the microwave so if there were bug "innards" they won't come in contact with my dinner. ....anyway they have been eating ME and I think that's much worse than me eating THEM. If I do eat them from the microwave, at least they will be cooked. They stink too much to eat them raw unless you develop what they call an "acquired taste." I don't have that yet.

Yes, murdering bed bugs has become such fun I'm dreading the day I run out of them to torture test.

They can go into the furniture, outside or wherever... as long as they stay OUT of my bed. I have a swinging bed in my gazebo and it's very hard for ants or other insects to access from the chains that suspend it. I think I could tie a kerosene soaked sock on the chains and stop any bug that tried that route. I've considered suspending my home bed the same way.

A suspended bed would be much easier to put into a big plastic bag and heat up enough to kill them all... maybe even with just a hair dryer. I think I'll go and test the temperature a hair dryer will heat a small closet to.

I wonder how these critters live in the south west where it gets over 120 in the summer? I guess they enjoy the air conditioning.

13. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 14:58:00
    #

Login to Send PM

You might reconsider posting a pic for ID by the experts.
    Would be a shame if they turned out to be bedbug related like bat bugs or bird bugs where treatment is different, seeing how you said

I live in a house on a farm, far away from any other people.

You could still torture test them just the same..food for thought with little DE sprinkled in there some where..
    Well good luck & I'll check back to catch up on your progress .
    got to go ,working a 104 hr week.

14. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 16:39:50
    #

Login to Send PM

DB: Yes, murdering bed bugs has become such fun I'm dreading the day I run out of them to torture test.
    --------------------------
    Don't worry, given your approach they should be around for a long, long time

15. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 16:43:02
    #

Login to Send PM

Too much work ... you better get home... your critters may need feeding.

I've tested DE and looked at them under magnification and can see scrapes and even some blood oozing out of some of them... but I put a fair amount of DE in a jar with several bugs and shook them up to get that results. When they normally crawl around they are up high on their legs like a spider and probably don't come in contact much with DE. I do have so much DE under my bed it looks like snow. I've concluded that it's got potential but probably more of a hit or miss.

I know the concept of DE is to scratch the exoskeleton and they dehydrate.... BUT bed bugs have a penis that is like a prison shank... it penetrates the female and injects their goo into her body/blood ... so I'm wondering... if they can recover from a wild night on the town where their orgies leave them stabbed repeatedly.... shouldn't they be able to recover from a few DE lacerations?

BTW, I took a full vacuum bag and put it in a metal bucket and heated it up to about 110 in an old oven ...and didn't see any movement. I know I must have sucked some up and I also know that around 110 they are VERY active. I guess there was a high concentration of something in the bag that killed them. It would be interesting to know what it was. I guess I should put some live ones in the bucket and see if they die.

I realized today while watching a youtube video that these critters not only have co2 sensor / monitoring system to give them a general idea of where their dinner is... but they also have an infrared system in their antennas to specifically locate your body from the heat it gives off. What an amazing set of talents. If they had wings or could jump like fleas they might rule the world... at least the mammals.

16. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 16:53:05
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 11 minutes ago  » 
    DB: Yes, murdering bed bugs has become such fun I'm dreading the day I run out of them to torture test.
    --------------------------
    Don't worry, given your approach they should be around for a long, long time

I'm not real worried... I have a back up plan. I'll be asking you to send me some if I run out and still want to torture them.

17. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Fri Feb 20 2015 23:41:53
    #

Login to Send PM

Jerry,
    I appreciate the enthusiasm with which you're trying to address your problem, but as others noted, there are easier methods which work and won't cause harm to body and home.

I won't repeat the suggestion that you ask a pro here for such rational and effective suggestions since it's clear you are on another path.

That whole doorless microwave business... I have no words.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  18. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sat Feb 21 2015 0:03:35
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I don't know who the pros are but someone may want to ask them if microwave would be more effective and a fraction of the cost and a tenth of the time of getting a house to 140 degrees and maintaining it. ....or even if it's been tested. I tested it so I'm sure they can... but chemical companies aren't going to want their revenue reduced or eliminated.... especially by a product you already own.

...and microwave won't melt things like hot air will.

And what about the uv sanitizers that claim to kill bed bugs? Who has actually tested this?

19. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 1:57:42
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I don't know who the pros are but someone may want to ask them if microwave would be more effective and a fraction of the cost and a tenth of the time of getting a house to 140 degrees and maintaining it.

I am not going to ask an expert this. I don't honestly understand what you're planning to do with a microwave to treat your home for bed bugs.

I am not an expert on how microwaves work but I am pretty sure you can't safely and effectively heat your entire home with them to kill bed bugs, missing door or not.

20. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 2:16:20
    #

Login to Send PM

Well I don't know who the pros are

mirror mirror on the wall who's the fairest of them all?

http://bedbugger.com/forum/topic/whos-who-at-bedbugger-expertpro-edition

If you want info on a member you access it by looking at the profile on the right side of post & click on oldtimer , that will take you to their profile where you can find info like their websites for more BB info.
    example:
    bed-bugscouk
    oldtimer

As you check out who's who's you may also notice how long they have been at this, number of post , free hours spent donating time here alone not counting the countless hour of volunteer work in the field ..

but chemical companies aren't going to want their revenue reduced or eliminated.... especially by a product you already own.

That's just never going to happen, just as the cure for cancer would never put the drug companies out of business.There are just too many other insects and illness..
    That's my take on things anyway.

Good luck & good day

21. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 2:40:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Jerry :
    Encase you did not know you have stumbled across a website with some of the most world renowned people on the subject of bedbugs.
    People that have dedicated there lives to the study of, the eradication of , and the understanding of bedbugs.
    They give of their time beyond any other I have seen the likes of . They should be engaged with respect even when in debate or disagreement just because they have earned it.
    You may think its ok to say what ever you like because it is your thread ,but keep in mind it is their website.
    Nobugs is the admin & created this site.
    just some info you need to know.

22. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 9:46:33
    #

Login to Send PM

I wonder if anyone has had a bb infestation in their microwave?

There are tons of post in this forum about using microwaves... some say they put bb in their microwave for 3 minutes and it didn't kill them. It always kills them within 30 seconds in my microwave though. Since I don't know how to get them all to go into my microwave so I can shut the door.... I wondered if the microwaves would get out if I took the door off. Remember all those signs about microwave in use ...do not enter if you have a pacemaker. Some waves must be escaping.

I never suggested or even thought it would be a good idea to be in a room with a microwave "gone wild"

Microwaves do not make things "hot" put a plate in your microwave or even a jar of Vaseline and after 30 minutes it still won't even be warm. Microwaves are radio waves that interact with water...or in the case of living organisms...the fluids in their bodies. Yes.. microwaves will make your blood boil. Bed bugs have blood... they reproduce through their circulatory system.

If you are going to heat your house to 140 for 4 hours.... candles, hand cream, plastics and who knows what else is going to melt. I doubt your fridge will be able to keep up... there goes your TV dinners.

23. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 11:02:46
    #

Login to Send PM

dead.bugs - 1 hour ago  » 
    I wonder if anyone has had a bb infestation in their microwave?
    There are tons of post in this forum about using microwaves... some say they put bb in their microwave for 3 minutes and it didn't kill them. It always kills them within 30 seconds in my microwave though. Since I don't know how to get them all to go into my microwave so I can shut the door.... I wondered if the microwaves would get out if I took the door off.

My understanding is that microwaves emit radiation and you're not supposed to remove the doors and run them without the door (if this is even possible).

No, you can't get all your bed bugs to go into your microwave, but you also can't kill them by making your home into a microwave.

If you are going to heat your house to 140 for 4 hours.... candles, hand cream, plastics and who knows what else is going to melt. I doubt your fridge will be able to keep up... there goes your TV dinners.

There are a few things which must be removed from your home if you have heat treatment, but the prep is much less than many people do when they have traditional spray/dust treatments.

The bottom line, TwiceShy, is that bed bugs can be treated successfully. If you have them still, then perhaps you should use some tried and tested methods and not waste time trying to invent the wheel. Incidentally, heat treatment is NOT one of the methods you can successfully do for yourself.

P Bello is a PCO here who has posted many suggestions on DIY treatment. They're there for you to search for and learn from. Or not.

24. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 17:35:23
    #

Login to Send PM

Nobugsonme - 6 hours ago
    No, you can't get all your bed bugs to go into your microwave, but you also can't kill them by making your home into a microwave.

Why not? Nothing else has worked 100%

I made a few videos that show three ways to kill the ones you catch. I'll make more videos but I'm out of bugs. Maybe someone will send me some of theirs. I've invested in a powerful UV sanitizing light but I'm waiting on parts to finish building it... and if I find a couple more bugs I'll find out if it delivers as claimed. I don't trust anything I read about killing them because there is usually someone selling something at the end of the article. Funny thing though... after making their claims they never offer video PROOF... or even photos of dead/captured bugs.

[video download links deleted]

25. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 17:58:16
    #

Login to Send PM

How about a YouTube link where we don't have to download your files? No offense, but with all your bed bug issues, I don't want them infesting my hard drive

Richard

26. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 18:23:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Sorry, privacy issues. They don't download.. they play in media player just like youtube uses Adobe. My connection is very slow during peak hours. The videos have to buffer a long time before the movie starts.

It's not a requirement to view them either.... Unless you want to see them DIE !

27. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 18:28:26
    #

Login to Send PM

DB: Sorry, privacy issues. They don't download.. they play in media player just like youtube uses
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------

When I clicked on one of your files it started to download. Then I cancelled the download for my own security reasons. Maybe someone more computer savvy than me will come along and explain if these files are being downloaded or not. Until then, I can only wait with anticipation what you have in store for us.

Richard

28. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 18:39:45
    #

Login to Send PM

I guess you don't have media player set to be the default for .avi files.

29. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 18:44:40
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe not because I just set this computer up a couple of days ago. All I know is that Windows download manager started, or at least appeared to start, downloading all the files. I'll look into the issue later, but nothing runs faster than a newly installed operating system and I certainly don't want to add any bugs (excuse the pun ) at this time.

Richard

30. Richard56

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 18:49:12
    #

Login to Send PM

So here's an article on AVI files and viruses.

http://superuser.com/questions/445366/can-avi-files-contain-a-virus

Bottom line, it suggests only opening them from a "trusted source".

We can trust you Jerry, right? I mean why would a guy who kills bed bugs with his microwave oven want to do my hard drive wrong

Richard

31. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 19:09:16
    #

Login to Send PM

I understand.

32. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 19:42:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Maybe you can download it but not open it and then just upload it to youtube yourself then delete it off your hard drive. You have my permission.

33. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Sun Feb 22 2015 23:20:03
    #

Login to Send PM

dead.bugs - 3 hours ago  » 
    Maybe you can download it but not open it and then just upload it to youtube yourself then delete it off your hard drive. You have my permission.

Jerry,
    Hypothetically, if someone did this and the file had a virus, that user would be exposed.

If you want to share the videos, please place them on a host like YouTube, where they can be viewed without downloading.

It's nothing personal, but it's not really safe for users to download files from links online unless they know the source. For this reason, I've deleted your download links above.

34. dead.bugs

newbite

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 1:24:29
    #

Login to Send PM

Richard56 - 5 hours ago  » 
    So here's an article on AVI files and viruses.
    http://superuser.com/questions/445366/can-avi-files-contain-a-virus
    Bottom line, it suggests only opening them from a "trusted source".
    We can trust you Jerry, right? I mean why would a guy who kills bed bugs with his microwave oven want to do my hard drive wrong
    Richard

Why would you trust a video I put on youtube any more than you trust it on another website?

Now you guys have deleted countless hours of testing and research and videos that it took me about 4 hours to produce.

I guess the nanny state has migrated to discussion boards... what a shame to cheat other members out of access to video prof that not only informs but clears up a lot of miss information.

Rather than missing out on other people are learning by watching video files, why don't you fix YOUR computer. Here are the 3 simple steps

1. Click start and type "de" (without the quotes) and press enter

(The highlighted option is already on "default programs" )

2. Select from that list "associate a file type or protocol with a program"

3. Scroll down the alphabetical list to .avi and select Windows Media Player to be associated with this file extension.... from the recommended list.

Now you should be able to view avi video clips in Windows Media Player without downloading them.

Too bad you lost the links to the information I made available.

You can't get rid of bed bugs but you can get rid of me. I'll leave you guys to sell your plastic bags and scented oils and other gimmicks. You can continue to rid bb victims of their discretionary spending.

35. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 1:48:45
    #

Login to Send PM

dead.bugs - 19 minutes ago  » 

Why would you trust a video I put on youtube any more than you trust it on another website?
    Now you guys have deleted countless hours of testing and research and videos that it took me about 4 hours to produce.

I deleted links, dead.bugs. I did not delete your videos or your work. They're still wherever you put them.

You can't get rid of bed bugs but you can get rid of me.

Good luck!

36. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 9:20:29
    #

Login to Send PM

She only deleted your links.. If you checked your PM's you would see why..

what a shame to cheat other members out of access to video prof that not only informs but clears up a lot of miss information.

Or you could convert them to another file type ,upload them on flickr ,there are many way to make it viable with trust issues removed. I guess its easier to just run away at the least adversary.
    To bad , it could have been interesting to see , guess you wasn't up to the 1 challenge of research huh ,it's to much time for you to give?!?..

37. BigDummy

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 9:50:56
    #

Login to Send PM

Don't tempt it back.

38. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 10:00:27
    #

Login to Send PM

BD ,...you can't take anymore?!? LOL

39. ItsJustABug

oldtimer

Posted 4 years ago
    Mon Feb 23 2015 10:02:15
    #

Login to Send PM

And he wasn't by any means the 1st to nuk a bb!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

297,399 posts in 50,188 topics over 156 months by 21,933 of 22,434 members. Latest: Kimmmie46, esedndwi, Help123