Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Heat treatments for NYC? Or Nuvan strips?

(3 posts)
  1. PolarVortex

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Thu Sep 15 2016 8:20:38
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi!
    So, we had eight treatments and zero improvement. I am moving.
    My exterminator has never mentioned nuvan strips, and I am not clear on if I can get the real ones in NYC or not. I had been told that there were services that would just cook my stuff for me and then deliver it to my next place. However, I can't find anything about it online.

Sidenote: Can I put leather in the dryer? If it is dry???

So my questions are:
    1) Can any NYC based person recommend a place for heating stuff up?
    2) Can you recommend a brand of nuvan strips and/or tell me where to get them?
    3) Alternatively, does anyone own one of those little oven things that I could use? I would happily pay you.

Sidequestion: I borrowed "my little steamer" from a friend. I have no idea how hot it gets. Is that useful or are we just wasting our time with that?

2. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Sep 16 2016 22:36:11
    #

Login to Send PM

You can get items treated in a container or moving truck with Vikane in NYC. Two companies seem to be arranging this with service providers: Bed Bug Fumigation Service, and Bed Bugs and Beyond.

I am pretty sure Bed Bugs and Beyond is still in business though not sure about BBFS.

I believe people have been referred by both services to a company called Moving Right Along in NYC, and it may be possible to contact them directly.

Treating your own stuff in a Packtite would take a long time and is possible, but the logistics of sealing things up can be tricky too.

Some of the same problems exist with DDVP strips (Hot Shot No Pest Strips is the brand available in NY and CT.). You have to seal items with strips in an airtight plastic bag. This could be done inside a Rubbermaid tub, for example, but you have the logistics of that. More on DDVP and where to get it in our Useful Tools page:
    http://bedbugger.com/useful-tools/#ddvp

And you can't really do furniture with those methods so saving furniture is a possibility that may offset the cost of container or truck fumigation.

Heat treatment of a van or truck doesn't seem to be a thing in NYC as in other places. At least I don't think anyone's mentioned it.

Steam can be very effective. The FAQ on killing bed bugs with steam tells you what you need to know about what you need in a steamer, and how to test the temperature, etc.: http://bedbugger.com/how-to-get-rid-of-bed-bugs-bed-bug-faqs/pest-control/faq-killing-bed-bugs-with-steam/

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  3. Winston O. Buggy

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Sep 17 2016 7:22:22
    #

Login to Send PM

If you are moving in my opinion the best tact would be to fumigate the items. You can get packing instructions from the fumigators, there are relatively simple like don't use plastic bags and no pets.
    Properly done it offers the highest rate of success and assurance you will move without bed bugs.
    Check on the moving company and or truck

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

294,975 posts in 49,594 topics over 153 months by 21,728 of 22,175 members. Latest: Scaredofbugzzzz, AVersicolor26626, nadialula