(9 posts)
  1. gingerrogers

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 12:47:17
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi fellow sufferers,

My partner and I have been dealing with bbs for about two weeks now and we are already losing our minds. We need some advice and hopefully someone to recommend a heat treatment company in Montréal. Last night I woke up at 2:30am to find several bbs on me, bites on my face, legs, feet, and bum, and bed bugs all over the walls, floor, and a few on the ceiling. We placed cups under our bed legs to try and escape but they are persistent!.

We moved into our apartment July 1st and found a mattress on the sidewalk that said 'bed bugs'. Our landlord called to tell us they were doing a free, preventative treatment, how very nice of them...and we just kind of hoped for the best. About a week later I started getting huge, painful, itchy bitesand we realized that we had an infestation. I am extremely allergic to these bites... To the point that my skin is swollen and hot to the touch for several days.

The landlord called a PCO and the guy came the same day. He stayed for a total of 5 minutes and sprayed with a can of something in our bedroom, and a bit in our living room. There are 5 other units in our building (a super old victorian walkup with cracks in the baseboards and floors), and apparently they have treated those too. We share a wall with the empty condo next to us, and from what the exterminator said, the bbs are coming from there. We are looking at abandoning our lease and moving as we don't know how to deal with this any more. The exterminator is supposed to come back Monday, but we are really not hopeful that this will help considering the landlord in the adjacent building is not doing anything. Two days ago an adult male ran across my boyfriend's legs while he was sitting on the couch smh.

So, has anyone experienced anything like this and stayed in their apartment? How long did it last? We are looking at moving and getting our truck treated with Thermapro. We can abandon our lease, we checked with the régie. The worst thing would be if this treatment didn't work because I am going crazy and it is $$$, so I'm wondering if anyone else has used this company and what your experience was with them. It's around $1200 if we bring our own truck. Also, how should we protect ourselves at night? I look like I have scabies...

Thank you for any support, advice, or words of wisdom. We are at our wit's end.

2. Conwny

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 13:18:06
    #

Login to Send PM

I am a newbie here and can't offer a lot of expert suggestions. I can offer my support and sincere empathy for your situation. My situation is different from yours and I'm still hopeful I caught it before it even became a problem, but I can completely relate to the emotional distress this causes. Yesterday I was ready to just drive off, out of my town, and off into the distance.
    I'm always very envious of people who are going through this with their significant others. I was not even in my apartment a week from leaving my boyfriend when I found a bug crawling on me. To deal with this alone (apart from my mom, who has been a Godsend), is so isolating and depressing.
    Now enough with the depressing part. How much of your possessions have you unpacked? Are you able to legally get out of your lease? Honestly, if it is that bad (the infestation) and you can afford it, I would go with fumigating a moving truck. From research I've done and what I've seen on these boards, you will want literally all of your possessions in there to help ensure you don't have a hitchhiker somewhere, or you'll be doing this all again in your next place. That part is so scary to me. Apartments are scary to me now. If I ever get the opportunity some day, I'll be looking at other options for housing. There are just too many unknown variables when in an apartment. This is why bed bugs are so rampant in big cities like New York, where almost all of the housing is connected to other housing in some way.
    Good luck!

3. gingerrogers

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 14:56:15
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks Conwny, I totally get it. For sure it is awesome having a partner to do something brave if you're feeling a little defeated in that moment.

We plan on having our truck heat-treated as apparently it's illegal to have them fumigated here in Canada. Montréal is a bedbug hotspot and we're not the only people dealing with this, for sure. I agree on the isolation and depression. We were so looking forward to having our friends and family over but now we just feel like lepers...

We started to unpack things and treat them in a packtite we bought from friends, but now are thinking it's better just to let the team deal with it all in the truck. That's what we're paying them $$$ for anyway. And yes, we can legally break our lease. Here in Québec there's a housing board that helps both renters and landlords; it is very fair. So we decide if our apartment is livable or not. We are very nervous about getting another apartment with BBs as we never thought this would happen to us. Trying to read up on how to check for them in future places.

All the best to you.

4. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 16:20:59
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi Ginger,

I feel your pain. I react the same way you describe. Horrible.

You are correct that fumigation is illegal in Canada. Thank our government.

Maheu&Maheu is supposedly the authority in Montreal but I'm not sure they do mobile heat treatment.

Heat is 100% effective.... if done correctly. Is Thermapro giving you any kind of guarantee (treat your new place free of charge if it turns out that their mobile service didn't get them all?).

It sounds like the people who vacated the condo next door had an infestation and now the hungry BB are looking for new hosts.

You say you placed cups under the legs of the bed but are still getting bitten. Are you certain they are not hiding on the mattress? They favor places such as the seams and underneath the label. And the box spring. They love box springs. I thought I had inspected my mattress meticulously but after we encased it, I was shocked to see the fecal stains developing from inside the encasement. Gross. But they're good & dead now

So, has anyone experienced anything like this and stayed in their apartment? How long did it last?

That will depend on the way the landlord handles it. If he doesn't treat all five units simultaneously, there is little chance he will succeed.

5. gingerrogers

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Fri Jul 15 2016 19:22:57
    #

Login to Send PM

Hey Bugged,

I'm not sure if there's a guarantee but we won't be spending that much money without one, that's for sure. I'll check out Maheu&Maheu, thank you for the rec!

And yes, we actually got a new mattress and encasement, and didn't let it touch the floor etc. But I suppose it is possible that the bbs found their way into our metal bed frame or the slats. Nothing feels safe...

Our current plan is to just get out of here and do our damndest to not bring them with us. I've got bites on my bottom so bad I can't sit down, and I can't stand up because of all the ones on my feet. It's unreal.

Thanks for your support

6. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 5:25:34
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi GingerR,
    Crud, so sorry another Montrealer (or two) is going through this. I heard maheu is good, too, but my landlord used some kinda' dumb company based either in Laval or the West Island, forget which one, who sprayed twice with too-large time gaps in between and lots of badgering on my part for re-inspection and a re-spray. Hope you fare better.
    As for your next place, if possible, can you get it a week or two before moving in so you can clean it beforehand? Not an expert here, but last summer, after the PCOs were done, and because I had no confidence in them, I vacated my place and hung DDVP pest strips to kill all possible lingering BBs and eggs. Search this site for DDVP, No-Pest Strips, Nuvan, Hot Shots, etc., for lots of info and expert advice.
    FYI, I bought mine at Canadian Tire, the Ortho Home Defense Max Pest Strips, link here.
    I hope everything clears up soon.

7. gingerrogers

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 9:32:52
    #

Login to Send PM

Hello to another Montrealer!

Great call about the DDVP strips.

We just left our place last night, it was quite the ordeal. I found bites on my head, and then a nymph in my hair (ahhhhhhh), so I doused my head in tea tree oil for a few minutes. I also found two on my toe after I took off my sandals. We heat treated all of our very few things we brought with us, and the bags we were taking in a packtight, and hopped from foot to foot while putting on our clothes. Everything I own is in ziplocs for the moment.

Our exterminator also seems to be a bit of a dolt. They said they could come back in 2 weeks, but not it's not until the 28th, when the last treament was on the 7th. Meanwhile we have bbs on our walls, ceilings, and in our hair. Our place is completely infested so we're sending our notice of abandonment today.

Best of luck to you. Bon courage

8. bugged-cdn

Posted 3 years ago
    Sat Jul 16 2016 16:29:57
    #

Login to Send PM

I doused my head in tea tree oil for a few minutes.

FYI tea tree oil is not a known bed bug killer.

Best of luck to you, and I can't believe how despicable it was of the landlord to rent you that infested apartment in the first place.

9. Montrealer2

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 9 2016 16:32:04
    #

Login to Send PM

gingerrogers - 3 weeks ago  » 
    Hello to another Montrealer!
    Our place is completely infested so we're sending our notice of abandonment today.
    Best of luck to you. Bon courage

Et à vous! I hope your new place is clean and B-free, and that all that hopping and Ziplocking worked out well!

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

296,906 posts in 50,059 topics over 155 months by 21,883 of 22,370 members. Latest: Mary Borges, Pleasebegone2019, aims6186