Got Bed Bugs? Bedbugger Forums » Bed Bug Treatment

Heat treatment on whole house. Bed bugs went outside.

(5 posts)
  1. lanevo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Tue Aug 12 2014 12:45:19
    #

Login to Send PM

Hi, new member here.

The house is a side-by-side duplex. We suspect that our neighbors brought them in when they got some second hand furniture. They only told us about this after we mentioned to them: what we saw on our side. So we immediately researched the methods, and decided to go with heat treatment due to the perceived advantages (time, advertised/vouched effectiveness).

The company comes in to do the job with these large propane heaters and during the process the temperatures went above 150F, and the entire duration was over 8 hours. But at around hour 6, they see bed bugs on the outside of the house climbing out through the seams on the windows and siding (mostly around the area which we had suspected to be the focal point of the inspection).

The next day hoping that most of the bugs would still be around that area away from the unit that has our belongings, but there were a few crawling around the walls/floor.

I wanted to hear from some of the forum professionals or people who had similar experiences which might be able to offer some advice or share your experience. The pest control company is suggesting that they tarp the house and attempt to heat the structure again. Hopefully we will be able to recover at least the irreplaceable things from the house.

Thanks.

2. cilecto

oldtimer

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 7:10:55
    #

Login to Send PM

Bumping.

I'm not a pro, but a 6 year forum veteran. Here's my understanding: Done correctly (i.e., correct rate of heat increase, air circulation, bed bugs will actually run "toward" the heat source, not to a neighboring unit. There should be no live bugs after a successful heat treatment. There are lots of people buying heaters and going into this business, not all qualified. Document and take photo evidence of what you're finding. Hold the contractor to their warranty or contract terms, consult a lawyer, if necessary.

Even with chemical treatment, if competent, you should be able to keep your things.

Thou shalt not be afraid for the terror by night...
    - Psalms 91:5-7

(Not an pro)
  3. Nobugsonme

your host

Posted 3 years ago
    Sun Aug 17 2014 11:16:21
    #

Login to Send PM

Did they treat both sides of the building?

We have now heard that it's not unusual for a few bed bugs to survive heat treatment, at least temporarily, and many service companies now use pesticides or dusts as a backup due to this.

That said, bed bugs escaping to the outside of the building during treatment does not sound right at all.

I started and run the site but am "not an expert."
  4. lanevo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 13:26:09
    #

Login to Send PM

Thanks for the posts. The company suspects that the infestation has been in place for a long time due to the odd observation of bed bugs on the outside.

The company we enlisted, we believed to have the best capability. They also did a spot years ago for the local news. They are going to tarp the house and redo the treatment. Has anyone done something similar or heard of similar treatment?

5. lanevo

newbite

Posted 3 years ago
    Wed Aug 27 2014 13:26:46
    #

Login to Send PM

Also, both units were treated at the same time.

RSS feed for this topic

You must log in to post.

272,350 posts in 44,492 topics over 135 months by 19,507 of 20,186 members. Latest: SBbluebed, Panic-in-my-bedroom, Fighterme